2019 World Championships Pairs Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Pairs Short Program

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I still don't buy the costumes or the program Natalia Zabiako being gorgeous in that shortcut or no, but that was a solid skate.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They peaked quite early in the season, so it was always kind of a question of where the rest of the field would be. T/M seem like they could be peaking here, P/J have returned to form, and S/H look better than reports had suggested. Them being able to claw their way to a bronze would be asking a great deal - have they figured out how to fix that time violation issue with the FS? They can't afford to give anything away.

They've adjusted the final lift but it remains to be seen whether it will work in performance; they've never competed with that version before.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No you weren't. It's a lot to expect a pair to suddenly have a perfect season and not have some serious pressure at Worlds. The good news is that they'll learn from it. Each year they just get better and better.

I'm not sure there's going to be a chance. Vanessa has said, IIRC, that they weren't sure if they were going to continue or not and that skating is getting really hard on her body. Someone correct me if I've got the specifics wrong on that... no idea which article it was in.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Not perfect, but enough for last flight for sure :)

Btw. Everytime I look at Natalia, I miss Ksenia :( Her hair is way to similiar....

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure there's going to be a chance. Vanessa has said, IIRC, that they weren't sure if they were going to continue or not and that skating is getting really hard on her body. Someone correct me if I've got the specifics wrong on that... no idea which article it was in.

They've said they're taking it year by year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ya'll, I am getting a BAD feeling about this Worlds. I don't like it :sad4:

I wouldn't judge it yet. James/Cipres had to deal with favourites pressure and prove themselves in being undefeated - it always comes with tension and their SP was on/off thing all season. When Worlds comes and pairs like Sui/Han and Tarasova/Morozov pulling off best performances in a season, in programs that highlight their best qualities that much, you have to step it up. They didn’t and that SP from the beginning was a letdown for me. I am sad, but not that surprised

Lota

Record Breaker
I don't care y'all, call it cheesy or whatever, I genuinely LOVE this program :love: The music, the concept, the choreography! And wow, her speed at the throw! :love:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No you weren't. It's a lot to expect a pair to suddenly have a perfect season and not have some serious pressure at Worlds. The good news is that they'll learn from it. Each year they just get better and better.
I think the more relevant consideration than pressure would be the warmup collision.

They peaked quite early in the season, so it was always kind of a question of where the rest of the field would be.
They didn't, though. Their best event to date was Europeans.

champagnerain

Final Flight
Mimed sword fighting just...never feels like a good idea in a performance? It feels so juvenile. Like maybe it's an okay move for a junior team who is still trying to figure out the very basics of interpretation and needs to fall back on miming as a tool, but in major senior international competition? :scratch2:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Let’s not blame their mistakes on Guillaume. Nobody forced them to work with him.

I think the commentary is more on the program itself rather than any mistakes they've had today. It's been clear since the beginning of the season that it was the weaker program, and it's a variation on the same alternative theme they've been going with.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They've said they're taking it year by year.

Thanks!! That sounds right. I just remember reading it and not being convinced they were, themselves, convinced if they were going to continue. And with them having such a successful season, well, who knows. I want them to continue forever but of course they won't.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
It’s weird you say that - I felt the same and this performance from J/C is just solidifying it. I have a feeling a lot of fan favorites are going to bomb

Do NOT bring this energy into this world an hour before the ladies' skate!!

GGFan

Record Breaker
Given how scared I've been for my babies I'm thrilled with 2nd place. Their free is such a masterpiece. Please let Sui's body hold up :pray:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Zabiiako / Enbert (RUS)

Tech: Good height and catch on 3Twist, weaving in and out before good sbs 3Ts, solid height on the throw 3Lo, nice one-handed positions on the lift, strong rotation on the death spiral, a little slow through the footwork but good edges (Level 4), a bit off on the sync in the sbs spins

Pres: I think they manage to capture the stiffness and cavalier quality of the music, but not the sort of sinister intensity that the discordant melody captures. Fairly good speed through and strong elements except for the last few which could be more polished.

Score: TES 39.70, PCS 34.26, Total 73.96 (currently 4th)