2019 World Team Trophy Mens Free Skate | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019 World Team Trophy Mens Free Skate

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent coming into his own is going to be the best thing for Nathan because now he will be pushed at home not just when he faces someone like Hanyu. The 3a used to be Nathan's worst jump but until that 2nd one he had landed every single one this season and they have looked better then just a couple of years ago. It's amazing that he could have an undefeated season while going to an elite school like Yale and it was smart not to go for 4 quads he's finally learned not to push his body beyond what it's capable of. I think like all the skaters here though he's a bit burned out and tired.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No, the medals go to the team :) so the highest combined score of the two men, two women, one pair and one couple win. It's like the Team competition at the Olympics (although I think World Team Trophy came first).

World Team Trophy has been going since 2009. It was the first team competition sanctioned by the ISU, and it is still the best.

It just needs more skaters (more teams, and 2 entries in Pairs and Dance), and it would be perfect!

Oh, and providing results for each category so that the skaters get credit for their own achievements.

CaroLiza_fan

P44

On the Ice
World Team Trophy has been going since 2009. It was the first team competition sanctioned by the ISU, and it is still the best.

It just needs more skaters (more teams, and 2 entries in Pairs and Dance), and it would be perfect!

CaroLiza_fan

I agree but I'm not sure a lot of countries have 2 pairs to send .

auser

Record Breaker
Vincent, this performance is a Sign From The Skating Gods: it's time to move on from Tom Z.

Now if you would just learn to loosen up your arms a bit more...

But really, congrats on the breakthrough season, particularly the second half.
Yep, I think he has that jump thing down :clap: :devil::slink:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

This will never happen, not as long as Japan is the sponsor and ponying up all the cash. Or until Japan can field strong pairs and dance teams. The format and scoring methodologies are specifically designed to give countries with strong singles skaters the advantage.

But to the sponsors' credit, even the 6th ranked team at WTT gets to split a respectable amount of cash--so the incentive for a country to participate with whatever skaters they can muster, is definitely there.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I not so much of a fan of this type of competition, as it favours single skaters vs pairs and dance, so it's flawed. I have't watched men yet, just checked the protocols, but I have a suggestion for Nam. Please ask Keegan to teach you how to do spins!

pesto

On the Ice
Thanks. I was just curious if it was a case of the ISU removing accents for the Bios. But, if you haven't seen it either, and you're in his country, then I would say that it isn't supposed to be there.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Grassl (no umlaut) is a South German / Austrian name. Maybe Daniel can toast his successes with a little glass of gentian schnapps.

https://www.grassl.com/de/home/

Yossalu

On the Ice
I don’t know... it may not be a ISU competition, but he still lost at Japan Open. Plus he didn’t do any challenger series. I think it was a near perfect season, which is amazing considering the Yale situation.

I don't think the lack of a Challenger event should be taken into consideration at all. I did forget about Japan Open, but in my mind Nobu is the only person who skated there. Since there is no short program and it's more a sanctioned event than a true ISU one I think of it more as the preseason. And it was a preseason that seemed to indicate Nathan would take a major step back.

Instead, in the events that "count" he went 6 for 6. He got stronger with each performance through Worlds. This one was watered down and had that wonky axel but it was still very impressive. I just can't believe how much he's been able to accomplish.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent Zhou really showed what he's made of today. That was just a glorious free skate, so well done to the music, which I'm the slightest bit tired of ... but he made it new and fabulous by keeping himself strictly to the intent and push of the music ... at least that's how it seemed to me. The fact that Vincent has been able to steadily, steadily improve his URs all year in the face of all that scathing criticism is just such a tribute to his spirit and his mental strength. He's an emotional skater (thank God!) and an emotional person, but he was able to channel all those emotions into his skating and keep his mind focused on doing what he could do. I've rarely seen such a combination of the two. That's how I feel in this moment, at least; I may be reminded of similar past feats by skaters when my emotions have settled down.

I can't get over Nathan Chen, and how he also is so dedicated to improving all aspects of his skating, and so purely devoted to his skating, his music, his expression of it. In his "Land of All" skate today, he imparted this ethereal quality. I felt it in his Nationals and Worlds skates too, but this is especially impressive since he had to put so much concentration into his jumps, calculating how to maximize what he could still do. There were several seconds in the middle of the program when I felt Nathan was touching the heavens, and I was soaring through clouds right with him. Awesome.

I'm so happy for all the skaters who triumphed in some way today. Keegan showed again what he can really do, and Matteo was just glorious in both programs. I adore Rizzo's choice of music in both programs equally ... and a shout out for that gorgeous lyrical rendition of "Volare" for the SP. It seems like many Italian skaters choose Italian music; I love to see that. There are probably more triumphs, including how happy for Samarin that he rose again from yesterday's.

Which reminds me that in the SP, it hit me as a shock when Samarin fell, and I realized that was the first time any of the men had fallen that day. This surely shows that the plus or minus 5 change is doing what it was intended to do.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I agree but I'm not sure a lot of countries have 2 pairs to send .

This will never happen, not as long as Japan is the sponsor and ponying up all the cash. Or until Japan can field strong pairs and dance teams. The format and scoring methodologies are specifically designed to give countries with strong singles skaters the advantage.

But to the sponsors' credit, even the 6th ranked team at WTT gets to split a respectable amount of cash--so the incentive for a country to participate with whatever skaters they can muster, is definitely there.

Unfortunately, you are both right.

That said, I can see Japan making progress in the partnership categories. Despite slumping when each of the Reeds retired, their Dance programme has recovered and come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. OK, so the Pairs partnerships of recent years have not been able to get near to what Takahashi / Tran were achieving. But, they are working at it.

Japan just needs to find a way to encourage more Singles skaters to make the switch to Pairs or Dance. And if they do, then I can see them becoming strong in those categories. Because, let's face it, there are no shortage of strong skaters in Japan.

Admittedly, developing the partnership categories in Japan will take time, money and effort. So, it could take a while.

But if it does happen, there would be no reason to not have 2 entries in all categories at the WTT.

Anyway, this is getting rather far off topic. So, apologies for that.

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Shoma is my hero. Forever and always! :thank:for an amazing season and ending it on a positive note. Can't wait to find these great new combos fitted into a program where the make more sense than in MS. Now rest, you deserve it.

Congrats Team USA. I think they got this in the bag!

Yossalu

On the Ice
I agree with your whole post, skylark. Vincent was the best he's ever been these last two days. It's hard to believe that this is the same skater who struggled so mightily at the start of the season. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him (even though I understand all of the criticisms) so it's wonderful to see him soar. He showed the World bronze wasn't a fluke.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Since the Entries / Results Page is only giving us the Team Standings, here is the results table for the Men:

Pl.NameNationSPFSTotal
1Nathan CHEN USA1101.951199.49301.44
2Vincent ZHOU USA2100.512198.50299.01
3Shoma UNO JPN392.783189.46282.24
4Matteo RIZZO ITA687.645172.89260.53
5Keiji TANAKA JPN489.056169.79258.84
6Keegan MESSING CAN979.754178.04257.79
7Nam NGUYEN CAN787.577164.40251.97
8Andrei LAZUKIN RUS588.968160.37249.33
9Kevin AYMOZ FRA885.2210153.83239.05
10Alexander SAMARIN RUS1271.849158.53230.37
11Daniel GRASSL ITA1079.6811148.68228.36
12Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA1172.5612132.11204.67

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

i got a perfect score from 1st to 4th place, then i choose to trust the wrong russian guy:biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Grassl (no umlaut) is a South German / Austrian name. Maybe Daniel can toast his successes with a little glass of gentian schnapps.

https://www.grassl.com/de/home/

Thank you, pesto. :thank:

Aha! I didn't realise that it was regional differences that was catching me out.

Yes, it makes complete sense that the South Tyrol would be using the same spellings that are used in Austria (because it used to be part of Austria!) rather than the spellings used in northern Germany.

It's always interesting finding out about regional variations in spellings, pronounciations, meanings of words and names.

But, never mind that Daniel is an elite athlete, is he not a bit young to be on the hard stuff? :eek:

:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Since the Entries / Results Page is only giving us the Team Standings, here is the results table for the Men:

Pl.NameNationSPFSTotal
1Nathan CHEN USA1101.951199.49301.44
2Vincent ZHOU USA2100.512198.50299.01
3Shoma UNO JPN392.783189.46282.24
4Matteo RIZZO ITA687.645172.89260.53
5Keiji TANAKA JPN489.056169.79258.84
6Keegan MESSING CAN979.754178.04257.79
7Nam NGUYEN CAN787.577164.40251.97
8Andrei LAZUKIN RUS588.968160.37249.33
9Kevin AYMOZ FRA885.2210153.83239.05
10Alexander SAMARIN RUS1271.849158.53230.37
11Daniel GRASSL ITA1079.6811148.68228.36
12Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA1172.5612132.11204.67

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks! And the results count for season's best: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034362.htm

Thank you, pesto. :thank:

But, never mind that Daniel is an elite athlete, is he not a bit young to be on the hard stuff? :eek:

:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Persto said a little glass:hb:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou really showed what he's made of today. That was just a glorious free skate, so well done to the music, which I'm the slightest bit tired of ... but he made it new and fabulous by keeping himself strictly to the intent and push of the music ... at least that's how it seemed to me. The fact that Vincent has been able to steadily, steadily improve his URs all year in the face of all that scathing criticism is just such a tribute to his spirit and his mental strength. He's an emotional skater (thank God!) and an emotional person, but he was able to channel all those emotions into his skating and keep his mind focused on doing what he could do. I've rarely seen such a combination of the two. That's how I feel in this moment, at least; I may be reminded of similar past feats by skaters when my emotions have settled down.

I can't get over Nathan Chen, and how he also is so dedicated to improving all aspects of his skating, and so purely devoted to his skating, his music, his expression of it. In his "Land of All" skate today, he imparted this ethereal quality. I felt it in his Nationals and Worlds skates too, but this is especially impressive since he had to put so much concentration into his jumps, calculating how to maximize what he could still do. There were several seconds in the middle of the program when I felt Nathan was touching the heavens, and I was soaring through clouds right with him. Awesome.

I'm so happy for all the skaters who triumphed in some way today. Keegan showed again what he can really do, and Matteo was just glorious in both programs. I adore Rizzo's choice of music in both programs equally ... and a shout out for that gorgeous lyrical rendition of "Volare" for the SP. It seems like many Italian skaters choose Italian music; I love to see that. There are probably more triumphs, including how happy for Samarin that he rose again from yesterday's.

Which reminds me that in the SP, it hit me as a shock when Samarin fell, and I realized that was the first time any of the men had fallen that day. This surely shows that the plus or minus 5 change is doing what it was intended to do.

Good post!

And I love that rule. Falls are really disturbing for me so I'm glad they are severely punished.

Roo87

Medalist
I not so much of a fan of this type of competition, as it favours single skaters vs pairs and dance, so it's flawed. I have't watched men yet, just checked the protocols, but I have a suggestion for Nam. Please ask Keegan to teach you how to do spins!

Something was off with Nam today. He lost a lot of levels, and was completely exhausted at the end. Jumps were good!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The total scores for each MAN are needed to determine if it's the SEASONS BEST.

I totalled up the combined scores for the men, and these earned a new SEASONS BEST:

Vincent ZHOU
Matteo RIZZO
Keiji TANAKA
Nam NGUYEN
Andrei LAZUKIN

All were in the top 24 to begin with, just now moved up higher in the top 24.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Shoma gets Platinum Medal for Courage & Determination! !!!!!!!!
:yahoo::yahoo:
On the edge of my chair!!