2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Nationals: Men's Short Program

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Did you also verify the other theory, the need of three revolutions after change of foot 😅
The rule is just that 3 spin revolutions are needed on each foot for a change foot spin to count, not each individual position directly before and after a change of foot must be held for 3 revolutions. If that was the rule then we would see a whole bunch of spins being invalidated, which doesn't happen. However, in the SP it is 6 revolutions required on each foot (in either basic or non-basic position). Which he still had, yes.

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I love every single moment of Yuzu's new program. I missed his energy a lot, his presence on ice. The landings were slightly sloppy, but I couldn't care less, everything else was just there. 😊

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Speaking of valid and invalid spins, why did Shoma get credit for what looked like a pretty clear "flying" CCoSp to me? (Also someone tell me if there's a better video than this: https://youtu.be/4IvUt9tEfm0?t=582)

Otherwise, though, I thought he did great despite the fall. I would have given him the highest PCS here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's just a transition into the spin, he does a step into the spin after the butterfly, it's something he's done for a long time.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tbh though, so were Hanyu’s jump GOE. I’m sure some people thought the low score was due to imperfect landings - as stated there was no way those quad passes deserved +4 if we are being objective. The quad salchow was a bit wild with the free leg and forward in the toe of the landing foot which he tried to cover with the spread eagle. The quad toe was nice but the combo 3T was a bit overrotated and landed awkwardly outside the circle. I would have given the axel a +4 but it’s not egregious, especially at Nats, to have given it a +5.
Both the jump GOE and the invalid spin call are ridiculous. One worked in his favor, one worked against. They probably balanced each other out.

I guess the end result is that I'm OK with the score, but not with how it was tabulated on the protocol sheet.

readernick

Medalist
Both the jump GOE and the invalid spin call are ridiculous. One worked in his favor, one worked against. They probably balanced each other out.

I guess the end result is that I'm OK with the score, but not with how it was tabulated on the protocol sheet.
End score was correct though... So you have to be happy about that....

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I still really don’t understand how they viewed the twizzle transition as the actual spin :slink: . It very clearly looked like a twizzle because he wasn’t even low enough for it to be a sit position and you could even tell that in real time he was shifting his weight on the blade which made it a twizzle not a spin.

1111bm

Final Flight
And then Hanyu. He has never been one of my favorites - a bit like Kolyada, he certainly has the elements down, but the things between and esp. his complete lack of controlled and working upper body and arms makes the adoration his performances get somewhat hard to understand. I was curious to see how this new program would look like after the mild hype about different vibes and all, but have to say, it was a rehash of the Prince SP and not a very good one at that. In just about all of his SPs, the start is usually slow (and this worked with Let's Go Crazy) and relatively empty of choreo/performance, but this music cut did not accommodate this trait at all. The rhythm was relentless from the first moment on and yet the choreo allowed Hanyu to skate it as he usually does, slowly and mostly unexpressively. The cliched mime and posturing to accents in the music were mostly embarrassing.
Exactly what I thought too, I thought I was the only one.

It's a nice upbeat program, but in a way underwhelming from someone like Yuzu, probably also because stylistically it seems like a rehash of PW and LGC, so it feels like he's already done this program better in the past (and I've seen people saying he was super fast in it, but I don't see that impressive speed tbh?).

And yes, the arm choreo/posing is super generic and cliched, and repetitive too (to be fair though, IMO he makes up for it with all those lunges and knee slides etc.) and one reason why I never liked that Robbie Williams song is how uniform it sounds and how steady it is rhythmically, it has that typical radio-friendly pop sound. Makes it easy to skate to though, which is surely why Buttle chose it. I would've been very surprised if he had chosen Queen's LMEY (I honestly did not expect him to, that would be a choice someone like Shae would go for). But Queen would've truly been something.

Shoma trying to do this. The energy just was not there at all. Also, after all the discussions about cultural appropriation and exploitation, I wonder how this program managed to survive?
This! Has been bothering me for some time now. People tend to be very er... selective when it comes to who they like to criticise for that (and just for the record, I personally don't have a problem with such programs and I enjoy Shoma's Great Spirit program, and I certainly thought his SP performance at Nats was better/more powerful than Yuzu's).

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I read several times here that Yuzuru Hanyu's two first jumps had too high GOE.
Do you have examples of such excellent quads with only a "less smooth than usual" landing getting anything else than 4s and a few 3s (which Yuzuru Hanyu hadn't here) with another (male) skater? Or do you find them faults I don't see, then which?
And have you ever seen any 3A as perfect as his, with anything else than 5s all over the board (except his of course)?
As to his PCS, particularly skating skills, it is a joke, but that's another question.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please do not bicker or engage in off-topic conversations with posters. Please stay on topic. Posts that were considered off topic or led to bickering have been removed.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
????????????????
We love it. Hook the laptop HDMI up to the tele and rock and roll on demand. We had 8 bucks worth of fun just watching the commercials they put in the upper groups...
Sorry, my English was slipping there. What I meant to say was, the (English-language) songs most of the men skated to were boring me.
I have to say, iSakura was a LIFESAVER. I wish I'd known about this ages ago!