2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Sasha Cohen was not allowed to compete at Worlds because she finished 6th at Junior Worlds.

Sarah Hughes was allowed to compete at Worlds both in 1999 and 2000 because she finished 2nd at 1999 [Junior] Worlds.

Yes, there was a brief transition period during which the junior world medalists could get in before the full force of the new age limit hit.

That's also why after 1999 US Nationals, 4th place Sarah went to Worlds, and not 2nd place Naomi Nari Nam.

Naomi Nari Nam never competed at Junior Worlds, so she could not take advantage of the temporary loophole. She had to abide by the new age limit rules.

The next time the issue came up (for U.S. skaters) was 2008. Even though Mirai Nagasu had twice medalled at Junior Worlds, and even though she won the U.S. championships, she wasn't old enough, period. In fact, 3 of the top 4 at U.S. Nationals were too young. (Caroline Zhang hd won Junior Worlds the year before, but tough luck. Rachael Flatt went on to win Juniors worlds later that year (2008)).

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I still hope JGP would take place, the opportunity to see at least one of the Kamila/Daria/Maiia/Adeliya/Sofia squad in Ostrava is very tempting :)
I thought the Junior Grand Prix has been scrapped. No?

Paranoia. Everyone is after me, help, help.

After Tara Lipinski won worlds at 14 and the Olympics at 15 the ISU raised the age limit. Cute little Sasha Cohen got caught by the new rules and was not allowed to compete at senior worlds. No one whined that the ISU hates America.
Raised the age limit to what? 18? Yeah I didn't think so. ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
I still hope JGP would take place, the opportunity to see at least one of the Kamila/Daria/Maiia/Adeliya/Sofia squad in Ostrava is very tempting :)

Oh, sorry. Is that what the conversation is about? Those ISU "awards"? I thought the complaint was about people saying that Alina did not deserve her Olympic win or her world title.

I can't speak for Alina, but I'd let the award thing go and take satisfaction in winning the top prizes that the sport has to offer. :rock:

No one was saying Alina did not deserve her world or Olympic gold. Especially the World gold that was obvious. The debate was Alina or Zhenya for Olympic gold and both were all time great and it could have gone either way. It went Alina's way. She was very deserving as Evgenia would have been if she got the gold. That was the best one-on-one ladies competition ever for the Olympic gold medal. Even better than scream queen (Tara) versus Michelle.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Paranoia. Everyone is after me, help, help.

After Tara Lipinski won worlds at 14 and the Olympics at 15 the ISU raised the age limit. Cute little Sasha Cohen got caught by the new rules and was not allowed to compete at senior worlds. No one whined that the ISU hates America.

The thing is, Eteri's skaters' have absolutely dominated ladies skating for several seasons in a row, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. The "Russian dominance" in ladies skating is really just Eteri's dominance.
So, whenever the ISU comes up with these new rules and you look at which coach's skaters' will be most affected, it's always Eteri's.

Scott512

Record Breaker

The thing is, Eteri's skaters' have absolutely dominated ladies skating for several seasons in a row, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. The "Russian dominance" in ladies skating is really just Eteri's dominance.
So, whenever the ISU comes up with these new rules and you look at which coach's skaters' will be most affected, it's always Eteri's.
Yes always.

By the way are the St. Petersburg girls even skating yet? Talk about starting behind the 8-ball for a season. wow.

ruga

Final Flight
Yes always.

By the way are the St. Petersburg girls even skating yet? Talk about starting behind the 8-ball for a season. wow.
Mishin's group is already at Kislovodsk, have negative tests and will start (or already started?) training.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Oh, sorry. Is that what the conversation is about? Those ISU "awards"? I thought the complaint was about people saying that Alina did not deserve her Olympic win or her world title.

I can't speak for Alina, but I'd let the award thing go and take satisfaction in winning the top prizes that the sport has to offer. :rock:

THIS!! 100% this.

Alina is very humble and I bet she knows why she wasn’t nominated, and doesn’t care. She took a much needed break and will be back refreshed and motivated.

Look at her lucrative endorsements and her career. This speaks for itself. Let the others have their moment. She’ll be back.

Amei

Record Breaker
Come on you mean skaters with lower SB than Alina got nominated for ISU awards? The crap Alina has to put up with his Non-Stop.

If Alyiona does not win best newcomer this thing is not on the up-and-up. If there was an award for Quad Queen Sasha wins that. Anna will finish second to aliona again.

The skating awards are not some personal vendetta/mission of putting down Zagitova; they are trying to make sure the number of nominees and thus the winners are not completely dominated from 1 country. How else do you explain that Young You was short-listed for 'best newcomer' over Anna Shcherbakova who head-to-head beat Young You twice, plus set the record for first lady to land a quad lutz in competition and set the record for first lady to land 2 quad lutzes in competition***?

Young You's season:
1st at the Philadelphia Summer international
2nd at the CS US Classic
3rd at Lombardia
3rd at GP Canada
4th at GP China
No GPF
2nd at 4CC
1st S. Korean Nationals
***1st at the Youth Olympics however the Youth Olympics is a junior competition

Anna Shcherbakova's season:
1st at Lombardia (2 places ahead of Young You)
1st at GP America
1st at GP China (3 places ahead of Young You)
2nd at GPF
2nd at Europeans
1st at Russian Nationals

***To satisfy comments that have been made - to clarify I'm talking about records/achievements of the 2019-2020 season and Shcherbakova does hold the senior ladies records for a quad lutz

icybear

Medalist
Seriously why are people getting so caught up about these awards. Do they even get a trophy or anything?

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
You’s nomination is correct. It’s Trusova over Shcherbakova (not You over Shcherbakova) that y’all should be questioning. It’s funny but the Golden Skate nominations for best newcomer is more accurate than the nonsense ISU vomited out.

Amei

Record Breaker
. Do they even get a trophy or anything?

I'm sure the winners will get a trophy or a plaque of some kind.

Seriously why are people getting so caught up about these awards.

Because figure skating fans will fight about anything.... even awards that if I remember correctly, most everyone on this board demonized them as being stupid when the creation of said awards was announced.

Amei

Record Breaker
You’s nomination is correct. It’s Trusova over Shcherbakova (not You over Shcherbakova) that y’all should be questioning. It’s funny but the Golden Skate award for beat newcomer is more accurate than the nonsense ISU vomited outl

Young You is a lovely skater, however if you look at the newcomers on the senior circuit she wasn't in the top 3 performers (at least in terms of results). An argument could be made for Shcherbakova over both Trusova and Young You; however of the 3 nominees vs. Shcherbakova who was left off, I felt that Young You is the "weaker" nomination. Trusova did win both her GP events, place 3rd at the GPF (which Young You did not qualify for), and did accomplish some landmark things in ladies figure skating.

I maintain my point/theory from my comment earlier - the ISU doesn't want these awards to be dominated by 1 country.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The skating awards are not some personal vendetta/mission of putting down Zagitova; they are trying to make sure the number of nominees and thus the winners are not completely dominated from 1 country. How else do you explain that Young You was short-listed for 'best newcomer' over Anna Shcherbakova who head-to-head beat Young You twice, plus set the record for first lady to land a quad lutz in competition and set the record for first lady to land 2 quad lutzes in competition?

Young You's season:
2nd at the CS US Classic
3rd at Lombardia
3rd at GP Canada
4th at GP China
No GPF
2nd at 4CC
1st S. Korean Nationals

1st at GP America
2nd at GPF
2nd at Europeans
1st at Russian Nationals

Are you sure about this? Or speak more precisely.;)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Are you sure about this? Or speak more precisely.

Shcherbakova was the first to land a quad Lutz at a Senior competition at Lombardia Trophy. Trusova did it one week later at the Nepela Memorial...
However, Trusova has the record for the first quad Lutz at juniors.

And then later at Skate America, Shcherbakova was the first to land a 4Lz+3T, and two 4Lzs in the same competition. I don't think Trusova has ever done that...or?

This explains the situation perfectly. (I wish I had said it like that. :) )

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Any proposed change, however well thought out, will bring a new challenge to the reigning monarch, more so than to her rivals.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Shcherbakova was the first to land a quad Lutz at a Senior competition at Lombardia Trophy. Trusova did it one week later at the Nepela Memorial...
However, Trusova has the record for the first quad Lutz at juniors.

And then later at Skate America, Shcherbakova was the first to land a 4Lz+3T, and two 4Lzs in the same competition. I don't think Trusova has ever done that...or?

I think that only the first clean landing matters, and this belongs to Sasha. If you have a desire to emphasize the special achievements of Anna, why not do it correctly). For example, the fact that Anna was the first among women to try to perform 4 Lz . Alas, the attempt was unsuccessful. In this case, do not have anything further to elaborate.

Amei

Record Breaker
Are you sure about this? Or speak more precisely.;)

I amended my comment to specify that I was referencing records/achievements of the 2019-2020 season. And as Jontor said - Shcherbakova does hold the record for the first senior lady to land a quad lutz.

Scott512

Record Breaker

What’s the current age limit? Is it 18? No? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

The skating awards are not some personal vendetta/mission of putting down Zagitova; they are trying to make sure the number of nominees and thus the winners are not completely dominated from 1 country. How else do you explain that Young You was short-listed for 'best newcomer' over Anna Shcherbakova who head-to-head beat Young You twice, plus set the record for first lady to land a quad lutz in competition and set the record for first lady to land 2 quad lutzes in competition***?

Young You's season:
2nd at the CS US Classic
3rd at Lombardia
3rd at GP Canada
4th at GP China
No GPF
2nd at 4CC
1st S. Korean Nationals

1st at GP America
2nd at GPF
2nd at Europeans
1st at Russian Nationals

***To satisfy comments that have been made - to clarify I'm talking about records/achievements of the 2019-2020 season.

As always the international skating Union wants to spread it around. But that's not how their athletes compete the best ones win the most. Truthfully I'm sorry I ever got involved in this Awards show. I have very little interest in other that I guess I would hope the most deserving skaters win.

Status
Not open for further replies.