2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Does anyone know her name and age?

The "Progress" Skating Academy so far has not posted any names or ages of their skaters in their insta; but I'm sure we'll hear more from them pretty soon. All of the coaches there are young former skaters & members of the National Team (one that anyone watching RL skaters knows is Polina Tsurskaya).

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I was also wondering if the relatively early marriage could be due to religion... Perhaps cohabitation is frowned upon in the Orthodox church?

Vast majority of young Russians remember they are Christian (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, etc), Moslem, Buddhist, etc only during Christmas/Easter, Eid-al-Fitr, Lunar New Year and they couldn't care less about what their respective religious authorities frown upon. :biggrin:

Scott512

Record Breaker
You're right. Enough a

Maria Sotskova has announced the end of her career. Quite a sad post by her, wish her all the best!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYeMVypSM6/

I've considered Maria retired for many months. Her farewell was very touching and she's a very smart girl. But when she had that disastrous last Grand Prix event in 2019 I was life that's it Maria is done. No doubt she has many great memories and has her whole life ahead of her at 20 years old.

On a side note it will be really hard for very tall girls like Maria and Polina how are both 5 feet 8 in tall to compete on a high level in the future and ladies figure skating because of all the tricks that I need so I'm 5 feet tall all around 5ft tall 75 to 85 lb girls do. Mariya gold will go on with her studies and life and I wish her well. We both have lost our fathers recently her father died like a year-and-a-half ago my father almost 6 months ago. Even though her father was much younger than my father it's still a blow hard to recover from an Maria seems to be doing remarkably well and has a very bright future with whatever he does.

On another side note it's tough to see people like Maria and Polina and Anna P and Elena retire in the last year or so partly because of the unbelievable deaths in Russian ladies figure skating. All the ones retired would still be skating and every other country that has ladies figure skating. But that's sports and that's life.

starlight97

Final Flight
Vast majority of young Russians remember they are Christian (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, etc), Moslem, Buddhist, etc only during Christmas/Easter, Eid-al-Fitr, Lunar New Year and they couldn't care less about what their respective religious authorities frown upon. :biggrin:

Not that it matters much but that's not true, at least for the athletes we are talking about. The vast majority of the girls in figure skating or in gymnastics for example are religious and also show that openly before a skate/performance, in interviews, on social media etc.
For example I still remember Adelina crossing herself(is that how you say in English) 3 whole times on and off the ice at her olympic FS, just to give an example.

I think it's also due to the fact that there is this narrative from the coaches and in the community of "now your life is FS/other sport, and once you retire you will have time for love, family, kids" and that's what most girls end up doing: retire in their early twenties or even younger, get married, have kids.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Not that it matters much but that's not true, at least for the athletes we are talking about. The vast majority of the girls in figure skating or in gymnastics for example are religious and also show that openly before a skate/performance, in interviews, on social media etc.
For example I still remember Adelina crossing herself(is that how you say in English) 3 whole times on and off the ice at her olympic FS, just to give an example.

Well, according to the Russian Institute of Religion & Politics, 55-60% of Russians consider themselves Russian Orthodox Christians; and the Russian Orthodox Church, in turn, considers only 6% of them to be actually religious. So, yes, it doesn't matter much (it's widely off-topic here), and yes, it's true.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Well, according to the Russian Institute of Religion & Politics, 55-60% of Russians consider themselves Russian Orthodox Christians; and the Russian Orthodox Church, in turn, considers only 6% of them to be actually religious. So, yes, it doesn't matter much (it's widely off-topic here), and yes, it's true.

I can certainly believe that many churches have a stricter definition of religiosity than most of their followers... :biggrin:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The "Progress" Skating Academy so far has not posted any names or ages of their skaters in their insta; but I'm sure we'll hear more from them pretty soon. All of the coaches there are young former skaters & members of the National Team (one that anyone watching RL skaters knows is Polina Tsurskaya).
And what do they do, exactly? As she was doing 2A it's not like she's some new skater. She must have been competing for several years already, under whom? I've not seen any entries by that club for any significant competition.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
And what do they do, exactly? As she was doing 2A it's not like she's some new skater. She must have been competing for several years already, under whom? I've not seen any entries by that club for any significant competition.

They are a private skating school without any significant state financial backing (so far); I just hope that those young coaches will be successful in bringing up new talent.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCeMxeaIxs5/

Alyona's free program music announcement!!!

Look's like three different version's of Billie Eilish and Khalid's 'Lovely', starting with an instrumental version, going on to the original, and then going on to a sort of remix version? The last part is whats in the video I think?

Not what I would've expected for her, but the step sequence looks promising?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Look's like three different version's of Billie Eilish and Khalid's 'Lovely', starting with an instrumental version, going on to the original, and then going on to a sort of remix version? The last part is whats in the video I think?

Oh cool! A great choice for Alyona. I love a modern program :)
Seoyeon, a Korean Junior skater, skated to Lovely last season and I really enjoyed that program.
I am excited to see Alyona's full program! :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

You were faster :)

Not my cup of tea (surprisingly :biggrin:), on the other hand there wasn't much trust into the Twilight program at the beginning as well.

Fluture

Record Breaker

WOW. I literally did not expect that. I don‘t know what to think at all, honestly, I don‘t love the music. But this sounds modern and somewhat unusual and the step sequence looks promising, so I’m definitely intrigued. Also, Twilight was trashy and downright bad and Aliona still sold it so much that it‘s now one of my most re-watched programs. So... who knows. :biggrin:

Happy Skates

Final Flight
You were faster :)

Not my cup of tea (surprisingly :biggrin:), on the other hand there wasn't much trust into the Twilight program at the beginning as well.

Yeah I really wanted her to skate to something more traditional after Twilight (perhaps go back to No One Ever Called me That), but I'm trying not to be negative about this. I think its better music than Twilight at least.

And maybe they are saving the big classical stunner for the Olympic season :pray:?

macy

Record Breaker

never heard this song before but it's really cool. i think she will do it justice, great choice for her!

so excited we finally have some news.

Fluture

Record Breaker
And maybe they are saving the big classical stunner for the Olympic season :pray:?

This. And also, there‘s still the SP. I think the mix of lyrical and modern worked well for her last season, it showed her range. This program looks like it could be similar to Twilight in a way, just in a more mature (darker?) version. I hope they give her something very classical and lyrical for the SP so her natural elegance on the ice and skating skills can shine!

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Interesting choice! I'm also part of the camp that wasn't too thrilled about Twilight and ended up loving it :laugh: Very excited to see the whole thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.