2020 Cup of China: Men's FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020 Cup of China: Men's FS

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Welp, I’m gonna have to rewatch the other guys later. I fell asleep and then convenietly woke up right when Jin landed his 4Lz.

It’s been a while that he landed 2 clean 4Lz in a competition. His jumps are almost too big; I saw that fall on the 3T coming.

I like his short better, but he showed some uncharacteristic swag in some parts.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't like it as much as his SP as the first half is much more jump-focused and I can't say I like this cover of House of the Rising Sun, but I really do appreciate how his performance has improved
Indeed he's been working really hard on it which I really appreciate! Good to see skaters working on things that they aren't as strong with. :)

Ooo good score! Well done to Boyang!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And we all know that's not how PCS is actually implemented, Jin Boyang gets his quad bonuses plus he's their number 1 skater.
It's weird though! Why even have PCS if you're not going to score it correctly? Han Yan's skating skills are definitely a 10, Boyang's feel more like an 8 (still really good, of course).

LadyB

Record Breaker
I don't know what you're looking for. China has the virus under control. As contagious as it is, there would be no way to hide how bad it gets when there's mass spread. Look at the United States. I'm confused by your apparent assertion that every place on earth needs to implement the same measures at all times regardless of to what degree they have the virus currently. Do you think all of New Zealand needs to be locked down with a mask mandate even though they had 1 case yesterday?

Take another example. Two GPs had to be canceled because the virus in those areas were spiking. Should all of the events have been canceled to make it "fair"?
Once more: I don’t want anyone to lock down and I hate face masks like nothing else.

I DON’T give a s**t who does what!

I’m just annoyed by the amount of comments on the way Russians wear their face masks ‘wrong’, while there are no comments on Chinese not wearing them at all.

Again, I don’t care either way, just picking up on commments.

Neither the Chinese nor the Russians have a great track record of having their statistics internationally verified, so I take all their Corona figures with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I leave it at that. Life’s to short to discuss whether water is wet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Take another example. Two GPs had to be canceled because the virus in those areas were spiking. Should all of the events have been canceled to make it "fair"?
Skate Canada was cancelled because of precaution, they’re doing actually fine.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It's weird though! Why even have PCS if you're not going to score it correctly? Han Yan's skating skills are definitely a 10, Boyang's feel more like an 8 (still really good, of course).
As always, there being a system and the system being implemented properly is a different matter. I hate is as much as you do, but like with KSU's incompetence I have resigned myself to the fact that's it's probably not going to change in a good while

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As always, there being a system and the system being implemented properly is a different matter. I hate is as much as you do, but like with KSU's incompetence I have resigned myself to the fact that's it's probably not going to change in a good while
True true.

Too bad they can't have two separate panels, as mentioned I assume it's pretty hard for the judges to juggle all the stuff they're meant to score. Perhaps that's why they're thinking of an artistic program and a technical one.

cake

On the Ice
Han Yan was wonderful and I adore his Lalala-Land program :bow: I don´t care about jumps when I can watch something like this. I also don´t understand why he´s so close to Boyang Jin in PCS and I´m angry when skaters like Han Yan are not rewarded for what they´re doing.
I don´t get Jin´s "House of New Orleans"-program. Nice try with the "swag", but it doesn´t fit the theme of the song in my opinion. The quad lutz of course is just :jaw:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Comparison between Boyang Jin and Han Yan pretty much pallarels Nathan Chen - Jason Brown. Not to discount the supremacy of Boyang and Nathan, Han Yan and Jason do possess uncomparable quality equally not to be discounted. It comes down to the point I feel the need to insist, figure skating need two different categories, 1 jump oriented and another skating skills oriented. It's grossly unfair to throw in two completely different type of athletes to the same competition.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Boyang's PCS were inflated without question, and I would also argue that his TES was inflated as well with high marks for his step sequences in both the SP and LP. Really, it's just positioning by the judges... who have little choice but to accept that high-quality quads and 3As are pretty much all that matters right now in singles skating.

icybear

Medalist
What - there's no way that Boyang's PCS should be within a mark of Han Yan's. Han Yan's performance skills are streets ahead.
Skating skills definitely. But the rest, I wouldnt say Han Yan is streets ahead. They both dont have a lot of transitions. Choreography wise, Han Yan program was pretty uninteresting, just lots of hands in pocket and looking up at the ceiling. Performance and interpretation is very subjective, depends mostly on the viewer. But hey at least the judges still gave him the lead in pcs which couldnt be said about Nathan Chen and Jason Brown. pcs difference.

icybear

Medalist
Boyang's PCS were inflated without question, and I would also argue that his TES was inflated as well with high marks for his step sequences in both the SP and LP. Really, it's just positioning by the judges... who have little choice but to accept that high-quality quads and 3As are pretty much all that matters right now in singles skating.
I think everyone pcs is gonna be inflated this grand prix, its not a matter of quads or no quads. So there's really no point in complaining about them

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Once more: I don’t want anyone to lock down and I hate face masks like nothing else.

I DON’T give a s**t who does what!

I’m just annoyed by the amount of comments on the way Russians wear their face masks ‘wrong’, while there are no comments on Chinese not wearing them at all.

Again, I don’t care either way, just picking up on commments.

Neither the Chinese nor the Russians have a great track record of having their statistics internationally verified, so I take all their Corona figures with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I leave it at that. Life’s to short to discuss whether water is wet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The reactions were different because the situations in the two countries are different. That's it. This is not the "gotcha, hypocrite" observation you thought it was.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hello everyone! I'm watching live on Eurosport on subscription, but there's no commentary - at Skate America one of the BESP uncles was commentating, but this time, no-one. Does anyone know why there's no commentary today?

Not sure! The official ISU stream has Simon, perhaps Eurosport couldn't get any other announcers for the other Euro countries so decided not to have any?

Thanks! For some reason, I can't access the ISU livestream (the link from Carolizafan says it's not available in my country - UK, and I can't seem to access it through any other means). Eurosport had Simon commentating at Skate America, so I wonder why not for Cup of China?

Sorry, only watching the Men's FS now. So, only saw your conversation now.

Just to clear things up before the Gala starts in about an hour from now (yes, they are having one), the stream on the ISU YouTube channel has commentary from Simon Reed, but the stream on the Eurosport Player is just ambient sound with no commentary.

The streams on the ISU YouTube channel are geoblocked in those countries where a broadcaster has bought the rights (in our case, Eurosport). But, us in the UK can still watch them if we use a VPN. In past seasons, whenever I needed a VPN, I used the Hola extension, because it was free. But when I got a new computer I didn't want to take a chance with it's dodgy reputation.

Now I watch on the Opera browser, which has a VPN built into it. It is also free, but doesn't have any dodgyness associated with it. (Only found out there now that the company that makes it is Norwegian. That would explain why the weather info is set for Oslo...!)

More info and download link here.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Sorry, only watching the Men's FS now. So, only saw your conversation now.

Just to clear things up before the Gala starts in about an hour from now (yes, they are having one), the stream on the ISU YouTube channel has commentary from Simon Reed, but the stream on the Eurosport Player is just ambient sound with no commentary.

The streams on the ISU YouTube channel are geoblocked in those countries where a broadcaster has bought the rights (in our case, Eurosport). But, us in the UK can still watch them if we use a VPN. In past seasons, whenever I needed a VPN, I used the Hola extension, because it was free. But when I got a new computer I didn't want to take a chance with it's dodgy reputation.

Now I watch on the Opera browser, which has a VPN built into it. It is also free, but doesn't have any dodgyness associated with it. (Only found out there now that the company that makes it is Norwegian. That would explain why the weather info is set for Oslo...!)

More info and download link here.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you, CaroLizafan, for taking the time to explain, and for providing the link - much appreciated!