2020 Warsaw Cup: General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020 Warsaw Cup: General Info

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
But i think it was wrong to cancel 1 day before skaters planed to travel! they should have been cancel already weeks ago...this is absolutely unoproffessional!
What would you have them do? Organize a competition for a few ladies only? It was the skaters themselves who withdrew in such numbers as to make the event impossible to hold. This is noone's fault.

Orchidea

On the Ice
What would you have them do? Organize a competition for a few ladies only? It was the skaters themselves who withdrew in such numbers as to make the event impossible to hold. This is noone's fault.
there was lack of men only as far as I read from previous posts. So yes, it was unfair for ladies. And it is very naive to think that you can make event with 30 participant each catergorie at the moment.

Country
Norway
I can hardly think anybody was particular surprised this got cancelled. I agree it´s a bit last minute, but I wouldn´t call it unfair.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
there was lack of men only as far as I read from previous posts. So yes, it was unfair for ladies. And it is very naive to think that you can make event with 30 participant each catergorie at the moment.
There’s a point past which it becomes non-viable to run any event. I suspect that when they lost the last group of male skaters, they also lost some female skaters from the same countries - and more importantly (because there were more female skaters entered to start with, which could compensate for the loss of numbers there), the judges from those countries too. Between the massive drop in competitor numbers and the lack of enough international judges to retain Challenger status and allow skaters to gain valid PB scores and TES minimums for championships, they hit their point of non-viability and made the call, which is 100% their right to do.

I personally think they should have cancelled some time ago, when it became clear that COVID-19 was surging both in Poland and in other parts of Europe too, but I’m not the one making the decisions.