2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Millions of Americans are uninsured, and even more are underinsured. I have seen the estimated combined percentage of these two groups to be approaching 50%. I am fortunate to have amazing insurance, but my situation is not the norm for most.

The telly said that 30, 000,000 Americans have nothing.

E

eterialskater

Been out of the loop for a week and then this bomb is dropped. So disappointed with this cancellation but it's for the best. Hopefully this event will push through in a few months.

You aren't wrong. Most people do have medical insurance. I worked for the federal government in America and had good insurance. But, the copays were still high and that type of system discourages people from getting the healthcare they really need. And, yes, Americans and the American healthcare system are often stereotyped by international individuals in a very inaccurate way. The healthcare available is very good (among the best and most advanced in the World) if you can afford it. Having lived all over the world, I will say that zenophobia and stereotyping is, unfortunately, universal.
However, my mainpoint is the same as before: not having universal healthcare and universal health leave will likely make this crisis worse in America than in similar industrialized countries. I can only hope it doesn't spread in South and Southeast Asia, Africa and South America where from personal experience I can say that good healthcare is out of reach for a much larger percentage of the population.

Anyway, this is off topic. I am really sad that I won't be seeing my favorites performing at Worlds. There are so many wonderful programs this year.

In a pandemic not having healthcare is the least of your worries. Resources are pretty thin so even if you do have one the priority are always the ones with the disease. This is not normal circumstances and government can and will put resources public or otherwise to be directed to best treat the infected and contain the spread. The apocalytic scenes of mayhem because a whopping 10% of the population is uninsured is just a tad too dramatic and very deceptive IMHO.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's literally the other way around. People living in colder climate are more "hardened up", while people who live in warmer climate are getting a cold at every little cold breath of wind. Not a sign of a good immune system. And viruses spread faster in warmer climate ( as we can see, most Corona cases are in warmer countries)

I think it’s just the opposite.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Back to the topic, CBS is broadcasting basket ball games from 2016....if you wanted NBC to re-broadcast a worlds, which one would you choose?
I am thinking about watching Japanese nats tonight....not a nice night....not gonna BBQ tonight.... we had 45 mph winds, 16 degrees, and 4 inches of snow.

macy

Record Breaker
do you guys think there is any chance they will decide to hold worlds later in the year, or would they not even consider it at this point? i don't think the chances look too good myself...i'm also concerned about the beginning of next season.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
do you guys think there is any chance they will decide to hold worlds later in the year, or would they not even consider it at this point? i don't think the chances look too good myself...i'm also concerned about the beginning of next season.

I hate to be negative but I dont think there is any chance...while the virus is still running rampant, there is no way.....due to many reasons....if the virus abates by the middle of May and is dramitically reduced by June, I still think they will just proceed on to next year. I still have good thoughts about the Olys in Japan in July if the virus abates, but I wouldnt bet the farm. Maybe it is wishful thinking. ...but as the Japanese said this evening on the CBS news, if the pandemic goes into July, we all will have much bigger problems than the Olys. The world leaders are looking at Italy and are starting to take this very seriously....as well they should. People in the US are ignoring social distanceing for now, but they will soon learn ......

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I hate to be negative but I dont think there is any chance...while the virus is still running rampant, there is no way.....due to many reasons....if the virus abates by the middle of May and is dramitically reduced by June, I still think they will just proceed on to next year. I still have good thoughts about the Olys in Japan in July if the virus abates, but I wouldnt bet the farm. Maybe it is wishful thinking. ...but as the Japanese said this evening on the CBS news, if the pandemic goes into July, we all will have much bigger problems than the Olys. The world leaders are looking at Italy and are starting to take this very seriously....as well they should. People in the US are ignoring social distanceing for now, but they will soon learn ......

Social distancing is all well and good when you actually have the room to do so. In Manhattan, we're lucky to get six inches between people let alone six feet, particularly on public transportation and in supermarkets.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello Goldenskate posters:

The cancellation of the Senior World Championship is news that has been influenced by governmental actions. However, please abide by Goldenskate guidelines:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?18607

1. Please be respectful when discussing the governments of various countries. Please do not name call or insult other cultures or governments, please refer to government officials by their actual titles or name, and please do not characterize governmental actions with political points of view.

2. Please be respectful when discussing other aspects of various cultures, such as health coverage.

3. Please do not call other posters names or insult other posters for personal choices.

Thank you!

eaglehelang

Final Flight
It's literally the other way around. People living in colder climate are more "hardened up", while people who live in warmer climate are getting a cold at every little cold breath of wind. Not a sign of a good immune system. And viruses spread faster in warmer climate ( as we can see, most Corona cases are in warmer countries)

The virus spreads slower in hot climate. Hot as in tropical countries like South East Asia.
If you look at the statistics, SEA countries have far fewer deaths than South Korea or Japan which has 4 seasons. Or Italy & USA.
And we have dealing with this virus since end of Jan, longer than Europe or North America.

Few weeks China has said they are waiting for winter to be over & have warmer climates as it slows down the virus.
Corona virus attacks the lungs so it makes sense. People get pneumonia easier in cold climate, not hot climate.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
The virus spreads slower in hot climate. Hot as in tropical countries like South East Asia.
If you look at the statistics, SEA countries have far fewer deaths than South Korea or Japan which has 4 seasons. Or Italy & USA.
And we have dealing with this virus since end of Jan, longer than Europe or North America.

Few weeks China has said they are waiting for winter to be over & have warmer climates as it slows down the virus.
Corona virus attacks the lungs so it makes sense. People get pneumonia easier in cold climate, not hot climate.
In Australia it is still Sommer going onto fall and winter but they still have 30 degrees and more and the virus is also there. Yes far less than in Europe at the Moment. Would say in the us many will also get it. If we are looking at the statistic even if Germany has almost 5000 confirmed cases they at the moment have only 10 death. Where in England there have been a few hundred cases with 21 one dead. Let's not speak about Italy and Spain because there the death are still much higher

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
In Australia it is still Sommer going onto fall and winter but they still have 30 degrees and more and the virus is also there. Yes far less than in Europe at the Moment. Would say in the us many will also get it. If we are looking at the statistic even if Germany has almost 5000 confirmed cases they at the moment have only 10 death. Where in England there have been a few hundred cases with 21 one dead. Let's not speak about Italy and Spain because there the death are still much higher

The UK stands currently at 35 deaths. We're expecting a lot more. :(

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In Australia it is still Sommer going onto fall and winter but they still have 30 degrees and more and the virus is also there.

Don't remind me... Since the start of the year we have had fire, flood and pestilence and locust/grasshopper time is still to come. However, to be fair, the numbers in Australia are comparitively low, as of this morning less than 300 cases and 5 deaths.

I'm not minimising the risk or the tragedy for those affected, but still...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm not sure we have an inkling of what the death rate really is compared to the number of cases. The tests are apparently in very limited supply here. A woman I met this week was diagnosed with bronchitis. The doctor told her they won't test anyone for the Corona virus that does not have a fever of at least 102. Another poster said they are only testing people that have been abroad or can be linked to people with the virus. So possibly most people that are actually being identified here are already very sick, while those that fall ill and recover without longterm symptoms go on without ever being identified.

We had nice sunny weather most of this week. (Trees & some flowers are blooming). Now this weekend we have snow. March is pretty much everything goes around here.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't remind me... Since the start of the year we have had fire, flood and pestilence and locust/grasshopper time is still to come. However, to be fair, the numbers in Australia are comparitively low, as of this morning less than 300 cases and 5 deaths.

I'm not minimising the risk or the tragedy for those affected, but still...

There is a giant, unspoken YET hovering over Australia. We are just coming into cold and flu season and too many people are still of the "she'll be right" attitude that will mean they're lax with restrictions and lockdowns.

It will get bad here. It just needs time. Give it two-three weeks and we could be as bad as Italy.

Parksideprince

Rinkside
I'm upset. I hope that NBC Sports will issue partial credit or let us have next season free. I know I know wishful thinking.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

As your neighbor country up north, stay safe.

The whole of SEA, 6 countries, there are 14 deaths thus far.
There's a spike in +ve cases in my country, Malaysia past few days due to a huge muslim gathering end of Feb.
15 thousand people attended <huge facepalm> Now they're spread out all over the world.

Xena45

Rinkside
Has anyone gotten their refund from Evenko yet? I'm sure they have a ton of events to refund.... I know they said ten days, and it's only been five. I was just wondering if anyone has been refunded yet

Status
Not open for further replies.