2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shouldn't be surprised. We all saw this coming. But I'm still very, very, very disappointed. Of course the athletes must be much more upset!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
In the past few days the spread in South Florida is quite scary. And it is very warm there already. Toilet paper hoarding is the most puzzling behavior so far in terms of disaster preparation. I did not panic buy toilet paper and now I am worrying about my supplies for regular use.

Not only toilet paper, guns and ammo are also selling like crazy

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As for Malaysia, we've just had 1st 2 deaths yesterday & spike in confirmed cases due a huge muslim gathering end of Feb.
15,000 attendees, almost 9,000 have been contacted, 3,000 samples taken.
We're gonna hit 1,000 cases by Friday. Partial lockdown was imposed starting today.

In Canada we had a gathering of 15,000 dentists! On Mar 12 it was confirmed that one person who was there later contracted COVID-19 ,but the danger to other attendees was deemed "low". Yesterday almost all the dentists in the province of BC closed their offices and went into self-isolation as other cases linked to the conference developed. It really makes you wonder what they were thinking. Especially letting the dentists continue to practice for a week, possibly spreading COVID-19 throughout the province.

beachmouse

On the Ice
And my DVR, which is set to record everything tagged 'figure skating' in my satellite provider's system, has now recorded two blocks labeled as 'World Championships'. I don't have the heart to see if the Olympic Channel is subbing Grand Prix reruns into that slot or if it's like biathlon and curling reruns instead.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And my DVR, which is set to record everything tagged 'figure skating' in my satellite provider's system, has now recorded two blocks labeled as 'World Championships'. I don't have the heart to see if the Olympic Channel is subbing Grand Prix reruns into that slot or if it's like biathlon and curling reruns instead.

It's so weird not to have Worlds. I was due to fly into Montreal today and would be sitting in the Bell Centre watching the ladies short right now in an alternate universe. Instead the borders between the US and Canada have been restricted and I'm still in NYC, where the cases keep climbing. To be expected, of course, as more tests are being done. Only a week ago, we were holding our breath waiting for the decision to come down about Worlds, now it seems like a foregone conclusion.

Hope everyone is safe and "social distancing" for the time being.

beachmouse

On the Ice
In the past few days the spread in South Florida is quite scary. And it is very warm there already. Toilet paper hoarding is the most puzzling behavior so far in terms of disaster preparation. I did not panic buy toilet paper and now I am worrying about my supplies for regular use.

We got in a bit ahead of the toilet paper curve after I was hearing about runs on it (no pun intended) in Australia. As for the why, there's a wee bit of logic to it in terms of people who usually do a certain amount of their business at work or school are suddenly at home and in need of additional paper supplies.

As a 20 year Floridian, I do have to say my usual disaster prep list feels all askew- not many disasters down here where you plan for the power and water system to still be online. I do not need to buy bottled water or extra gasoline but rice, beans and frozen pizza are good to buy now?

Liz1201

Rinkside
The website wasn't working for me - when I logged on the cancel option was in red and didn't work at all. I got lucky today, I tried the Air Canada Health desk line (not the main customer care number) and got through right away to an agent who cancelled my flight and gave me the credit. He said I would need to call the reservation line and use the credit prior to the end of this calendar year. If Skate Canada is still happening in October, I can use the credit for that flight.

Did you get a # or something for your credit? I got an email that confirmed my cancellation and said I would get an email when my credit was processed however I never got another email about my credit being processed.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
i'm failing to understand why people in the USA are doing this, what are they planning to do? shot the virus dead?

This pandemic exposes how frail our societal systems are, how easily people are panicked, and a glimpse of what martial law could look like in America. "Live free or die" as they say. Zombie apocalypse shows are becoming a reality in some people's fears, where food and resources are in short supply and only the people with power/weapons may have access to those necessities.

Mr Cat

Rinkside
i'm failing to understand why people in the USA are doing this, what are they planning to do? shot the virus dead?

Because there is a fear of burglary and looting, cities /inner cities are the most vulnerable. Americans in these areas have ALWAYS been neglected by local law enforcement and politicians -- no one should begrudge them for wanting to protect themselves or their families.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because there is a fear of burglary and looting, cities /inner cities are the most vulnerable. Americans in these areas have ALWAYS been neglected by local law enforcement and politicians -- no one should begrudge them for wanting to protect themselves or their families.

Exactly. Some cities are stating that police won't respond to some situations and will not be prosecuting robberies and some other offenses, and some prisons are releasing prisoners. I'm not really griping, it's just a new fact of life in many places.

I'm not going to blame people for taking steps for their own defense when the authorities are being pretty upfront about the adjustments they're taking to deal with the added demands related to the crisis.

readernick

Medalist

Well, the governments keep saying me are at "war." The folks are just a little confused about what they are at war with. �� Honestly the things people are buying in preparation (almost worldwide) are very strange. But, they do tell you what people's priorities are: alcohol, legal drugs, toilet paper all seem to be popular items.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Hunt deer or whatever wildlife if there's lack of food. Those who stay on farms do that.

City people - For businesses, afraid of looting & robbery maybe?

auser

Record Breaker
Not all people in USA buying guns/ammo ;). Maybe it is a California thing, but there seems to be ample alcohol stocks available in markets with depleted shelves of other staples(toilet paper, water, paper towels, antiseptic/cleaning products, rice, pasta, vinegar)

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I have seen "toilet paper hoarding" from historical footage of 1973 oil shock and thought how Japanese people acted stupidly back then.
Oh no , I saw same things two or three weeks ago, and then it happens other parts of world as well.

It is not particular to 1970s or Japanese. I am surprised.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.