2020 World Championships Cancelled | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2020 World Championships Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Where in England there have been a few hundred cases with 21 one dead.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Like WednesdayMarch said we have higher deaths than this, additionally I wouldn't take our confirmed cases as true cases, the UK have stopped testing many

Liz1201

Rinkside
Has anyone gotten their refund from Evenko yet? I'm sure they have a ton of events to refund.... I know they said ten days, and it's only been five. I was just wondering if anyone has been refunded yet

Yes I saw my refund on my card today. The exchange rate took out a little chunk given it was 0.714 when they converted Canadian $ to US $.

MintGreen

On the Ice
Has anyone gotten their refund from Evenko yet? I'm sure they have a ton of events to refund.... I know they said ten days, and it's only been five. I was just wondering if anyone has been refunded yet

I haven't seen the refund yet. The purchase was made in June.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes I saw my refund on my card today. The exchange rate took out a little chunk given it was 0.714 when they converted Canadian $ to US $.

Even if the exchange rate stays the same, there is a conversion fee on most credit card transactions equal to about 2.5%. So you lose about 5% if the exchange rate doesn't change.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got my refund from Evenko---it came in 3 installments on 3 separate days. And yes, there was a sizeable bite for 'conversion'.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got my refund over the weekend. I'm impressed with how stress free it was. Still can't get in touch with Air Canada to cancel my flight for credit, though.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I got my refund over the weekend. I'm impressed with how stress free it was. Still can't get in touch with Air Canada to cancel my flight for credit, though.

I got my Air Canada credit online (before my scheduled flight). It was pretty easy to do.

Victura

On the Ice
Even if the exchange rate stays the same, there is a conversion fee on most credit card transactions equal to about 2.5%. So you lose about 5% if the exchange rate doesn't change.

Is the conversion fee the same as a foreign transaction fee? I used a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees and still lost more than 5%. Was surprised that the original transaction wasn’t just reversed, since I only purchased a few weeks ago.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Is the conversion fee the same as a foreign transaction fee? I used a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees and still lost more than 5%. Was surprised that the original transaction wasn’t just reversed, since I only purchased a few weeks ago.

It's likely the currency exchange rate as its dropped quite a bit since even last week.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

The fee is likely hidden in the exchange rate. You can look up the official exchange rates on the relevant dates on the Bank of Canada web site and compare with what your statement shows.

I have a US dollar VISA card that got cancelled through no fault of my own just before I was about to leave for a trip to Alaska. When it finally became clear that a new card wasn't going to arrive, they told me to just use my CDN$ card and they would refund me the 2.5% if I called after I got home and all the US bills were in. I did, and they did (they even rounded up to the nearest $5). The 2.5% was not shown explicitly, but was built into the exchange rate.

Here's a link to the BOC graph. https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-exchange-rates/

And yes, the CDN$ has fallen a lot in the last few days (shows up on the graph as the US$ rising).

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got my Air Canada credit online (before my scheduled flight). It was pretty easy to do.

The website wasn't working for me - when I logged on the cancel option was in red and didn't work at all. I got lucky today, I tried the Air Canada Health desk line (not the main customer care number) and got through right away to an agent who cancelled my flight and gave me the credit. He said I would need to call the reservation line and use the credit prior to the end of this calendar year. If Skate Canada is still happening in October, I can use the credit for that flight.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The virus spreads slower in hot climate. Hot as in tropical countries like South East Asia.
If you look at the statistics, SEA countries have far fewer deaths than South Korea or Japan which has 4 seasons. Or Italy & USA.
And we have dealing with this virus since end of Jan, longer than Europe or North America.

Few weeks China has said they are waiting for winter to be over & have warmer climates as it slows down the virus.
Corona virus attacks the lungs so it makes sense. People get pneumonia easier in cold climate, not hot climate.

I think it had a lot less chance in SEA to get a foothold as SEA countries are prepared and were willing to do what needed to be done to stop it from spreading. Europe has been worse and due to almost complete lack of test kits in US (Jack Ma donated 1,000,000 masks and 500,000 test kits to US and similar # to Africa) and general selfish attitude (toilet paper hoarding, refusal to self quarantine) of many Americans as well as dire shortage of respirators I am willing to bet we (US) are harder hit than any other country. I feel like I’m living in the first chapter of a post apocalyptic novel. I won’t last past the first chapter because I am immunocompromised and won’t win the respirator lottery.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
In the past few days the spread in South Florida is quite scary. And it is very warm there already. Toilet paper hoarding is the most puzzling behavior so far in terms of disaster preparation. I did not panic buy toilet paper and now I am worrying about my supplies for regular use.

I think it had a lot less chance in SEA to get a foothold as SEA countries are prepared and were willing to do what needed to be done to stop it from spreading. Europe has been worse and due to almost complete lack of test kits in US (Jack Ma donated 1,000,000 masks and 500,000 test kits to US and similar # to Africa) and general selfish attitude (toilet paper hoarding, refusal to self quarantine) of many Americans as well as dire shortage of respirators I am willing to bet we (US) are harder hit than any other country. I feel like I’m living in the first chapter of a post apocalyptic novel. I won’t last past the first chapter because I am immunocompromised and won’t win the respirator lottery.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Toilet paper hoarding is the most puzzling behavior so far in terms of disaster preparation. I did not panic buy toilet paper and now I am worrying about my supplies for regular use.

I don't get this either. I already buy basic supplies like this in bulk and haven't bought toilet paper in years because I have so much of it stockpiled. Same with cleaning supplies like hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. I live alone though so it takes me quite awhile to burn through supplies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get this either. I already buy basic supplies like this in bulk and haven't bought toilet paper in years because I have so much of it stockpiled. Same with cleaning supplies like hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. I live alone though so it takes me quite awhile to burn through supplies.

I’m mad at both myself and my BIL (he never tells me he’s out of TP in his bathroom until he’s literally used the last sheet and it’s midnight). I normally keep up with it but I was so tired I didn’t want to deal with it and just bought small amount. Today I was able to buy 2 rolls. We have enough dish and laundry soap to last the summer.

readernick

Medalist

I have to disagree with you. Having lived in Malaysia where I believe EagleHelang (Selamat Malam!) is located for about seven years and a few other SEA countries for shorter periods of up to 1 year, I would say that the only two countries in SEA who are prepared for this are Singapore and Taiwan. The rest do not have the medical facilities or government structures to cope with the outbreak of a huge pandemic in their countries. Thankfully what they do have in their favor is: young populations ( the young don't seem to be very affected by this disease) and hot climates. The latter should slow the spread and the first should reduce its impact. The same factors should reduce its impact on Africa, South America and India.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I have to disagree with you. Having lived in Malaysia where I believe EagleHelang (Selamat Malam!) is located for about seven years and a few other SEA countries for shorter periods of up to 1 year, I would say that the only two countries in SEA who are prepared for this are Singapore and Taiwan. The rest do not have the medical facilities or government structures to cope with the outbreak of a huge pandemic in their countries. Thankfully what they do have in their favor is: young populations ( the young don't seem to be very affected by this disease) and hot climates. The latter should slow the spread and the first should reduce its impact. The same factors should reduce its impact on Africa, South America and India.

Selamat malam to you too. Just one minor point : Taiwan is not part of SEA countries.
SEA countries are Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam.

As for Malaysia, we've just had 1st 2 deaths yesterday & spike in confirmed cases due a huge muslim gathering end of Feb.
15,000 attendees, almost 9,000 have been contacted, 3,000 samples taken.
We're gonna hit 1,000 cases by Friday. Partial lockdown was imposed starting today.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The website wasn't working for me - when I logged on the cancel option was in red and didn't work at all. I got lucky today, I tried the Air Canada Health desk line (not the main customer care number) and got through right away to an agent who cancelled my flight and gave me the credit. He said I would need to call the reservation line and use the credit prior to the end of this calendar year. If Skate Canada is still happening in October, I can use the credit for that flight.

I was able to cancel my Air Canada flight online but didn't even try to talk to anyone after a couple attempts. Normally the rule is that you have to fly the same itinerary with your credit. Were you told that you have a general credit to use however you wish (til the end of the calendar year)? Was your original ticket non-refundable? I had a non-refundable but have always enjoyed Sk Can and am thinking that's just a short flight from Chicago. I would love to use my credit for Ottawa. (Here's hoping it takes place as planned.)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My skating tickets refund came through last Saturday, which really amazed me. That was pretty efficient. I have a card with no foreign transactions fees. Pretty sure the lower refund amount is due to currency fluctuations. The Canadian dollar was worth 75 cents when I bought the tickets. The day the refund was done, I think it was 70 cents. Overall, I received around $25 less than originally paid. I'm satisfied with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.