2021-22 Challenger Series: Core events announced | Golden Skate

2021-22 Challenger Series: Core events announced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Communication No. 2372

In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there will be a core group of five (5) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:

- Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf (GER)
- Finlandia Trophy (FIN)
- Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava (SVK)
- Golden Spin of Zagreb (CRO)
- One Competition in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States.

The above-mentioned core group of five (5) Challenger Series Competitions remains nevertheless subject to receiving an application from the concerned ISU Members and subject to ISU Council confirmation (see Paragraph 4 below for the details for the applications).

Up to a maximum of five (5) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU.

Considering the cancellation of several Challengers Series Competitions during the 2020/2021 season and subject to receiving a timely and satisfactory application, preference will be given to the ISU Members who were selected and had to unfortunately cancel the Challenger Series Competition in
2020/2021.

The announcement goes on to discuss world standing points, minimum TES, Challenger rankings, prize money, etc.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Weren't there six Challengers before? I always thought there were two in North America, one in the US and the other in Canada. Not one between the two countries.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weren't there six Challengers before? I always thought there were two in North America, one in the US and the other in Canada. Not one between the two countries.

Yes, the US Classic traditionally held in Salt Lake City and the Autumn Classic in Ontario.

I wonder why they would only hold one, if it is safe to hold either?

Andrea82

Medalist
Yes, the US Classic traditionally held in Salt Lake City and the Autumn Classic in Ontario.

I wonder why they would only hold one, if it is safe to hold either?

They could still hold both of them.

The 5 additional events may include the second North American one.

The wording is a bit muddling but they used the same wordings in previous years' preliminary communication when they ended up organizing both US International and Autumn Classic. For example, in 2019: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/19784-isu-communication-2227/file

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Isn't the status of a Challenger higher though? I mean, you can only get world standing points in Challengers, while the additional events do provide a possibility to get your minimum TES for 4CC, EC or WC and acknowledgements of 'seasons bests' but no World Standing effects.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there will be a core group of five (5) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:

- Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf (GER)
- Finlandia Trophy (FIN)
- Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava (SVK)
- Golden Spin of Zagreb (CRO)
- One Competition in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States. ...

.... I always thought there were two in North America, one in the US and the other in Canada. Not one between the two countries.

FWIW:

In previous years, the exact same ISU language has *not* meant that the Challenger Series for a given year was limited to one North American competition.

For example, the ISU used the exact same language in 2019, when both U.S. Classic and Autumn Classic were held.
Same for 2018.
(Possibly for earlier years too, IIRC, but I am not going to look up older links to double-check the ISU language.)​

That said, I am curious to see what will happen in 2021 with U.S. Classic, for at least three reasons:

(1) From well before the pandemic (and thus completely unrelated to the pandemic), I vaguely recall *unconfirmed* rumors/rumblings that the future of U.S. Classic was unclear -- that it might be moved to somewhere other than SLC or that it might be discontinued completely. Again, all unconfirmed.

ETA (on Mar 18):

FWIW: I only now am belatedly seeing that Salt Lake Figure Skating's Jan 2021 newsletter said that it does expect USFS to bring U.S International Classic (and Challenge Skate) back to SLC in 2021.​

(2) U.S. Classic was not included on the announced-but-later-reduced full calendar for 2020 Challenger Series. I have no idea whether the reason for 2020 was related to the pandemic or not.

(3) Even if(??) USFS wanted U.S. Classic to be added back for the 2021 series, whether it would be possible could be a different story, based on this lSU language:

... Considering the cancellation of several Challengers Series Competitions during the 2020/2021 season and subject to receiving a timely and satisfactory application, preference will be given to the ISU Members who were selected and had to unfortunately cancel the Challenger Series Competition in 2020/2021. ...​

The original full calendar for the 2020 series was:

- Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy; 09 Sep - 13 Sep, 2020; Beijing /CHN ("postponed")
- Autumn Classic International; 17 Sep - 19 Sep, 2020; Oakville /CAN ("postponed")
- Nepela Memorial 2020; 16 Sep - 19 Sep, 2020; Bratislava /SVK (cancelled)
- Nebelhorn Trophy; 23 Sep - 26 Sep, 2020; Oberstdorf /GER
- Finlandia Trophy; 08 Oct - 11 Oct, 2020; Espoo /FIN (cancelled)
- Budapest Trophy; 15 Oct - 17 Oct, 2020; Budapest /HUN
- Denis Ten Memorial Challenge; 29 Oct - 01 Nov, 2020; Almaty /KAZ (cancelled)
- Warsaw Cup; 12 Nov - 15 Nov, 2020; Warsaw /POL (cancelled)
- Cup of Tyrol; 23 Nov - 30 Nov, 2020; Innsbruck /AUT (cancelled)
- 53rd Golden Spin of Zagreb; 02 Dec - 05 Dec, 2020; Zagreb /CRO ("postponed")​

Side note that it seems likely (IMO) that 2021 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy will be part of the Challenger Series, even though the ISU has not said so yet, AFAIK.
What the ISU has said so far is that 2021 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy (October 13-17, 2021, in Beijing) will be the test event for 2022 OWG.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
Isn't the status of a Challenger higher though? I mean, you can only get world standing points in Challengers, while the additional events do provide a possibility to get your minimum TES for 4CC, EC or WC and acknowledgements of 'seasons bests' but no World Standing effects.

yes, but the "5 additional events" will be also part of the Challenger Series.

Basically, Nebelhorn, Finlandia Trophy, Nepela, Golden Spin and 1 North American event are the core group already sure to be included. Then ISU can add up 5 more Challenger events based on applications received without any restrictions about where they would be located.

So 1 in North America is a guarantee, the second is not guaranteed but it is possible if both US and Canada apply for a Challenger.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They could still hold both of them.

The 5 additional events may include the second North American one.

The wording is a bit muddling but they used the same wordings in previous years' preliminary communication when they ended up organizing both US International and Autumn Classic. For example, in 2019: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/19784-isu-communication-2227/file

Apologies that as I was writing out my long post above, I did not notice that you more nimbly (y) posted what was the first part of what I wanted to say. I did not mean to be redundant.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but non-Challenger internationals do not count toward ISU season's bests
Many non-Challenger senior internationals do provide the possibility of earning world standings points (although not as many as at Challengers) as well as TES minimums.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
yes, but the "5 additional events" will be also part of the Challenger Series.

Basically, Nebelhorn, Finlandia Trophy, Nepela, Golden Spin and 1 North American event are the core group already sure to be included. Then ISU can add up 5 more Challenger events based on applications received without any restrictions about where they would be located.

So 1 in North America is a guarantee, the second is not guaranteed but it is possible if both US and Canada apply for a Challenger.
Thanks Andrea82! Together with Ice Coverage and El Henry who also posted, I now understand a little bit more about how this all works. I understood - wrongly - that additional events were competitions that get an ISU confirmation (or something) but aren't considered Challengers. Like the Challenge Cup which was and is organised as an ISU acknowledged event but doesn't give WS points. But I understand now that with 'additional events' is meant that additional Challengers can be organised, besides those events that are registrated and counted as ISU events regardless - just not as Challengers. But it's perfectly possible to have more Challengers (up to 10). Including in Asia (I was missing Challengers in Asia). I should have guessed...there are many more 'ISU condoned' events that are not Challengers than just the five mentioned here. What can I say? I'll stick to: I'm blond. From nature. And that's a joke! I mean, I am truly blond but I don't think blonds are dumb (how could I), but it's an excuse to be ignorant sometimes. X

Just read the post about World Standing Points and Season's bests. Got it wrong there too. Sigh. I'm going to get my hair painted - once hairdressers are allowed to start working again.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just to reiterate my OP specifically said: "there will be a core group of five." The ISU is just naming the five core locations but can (and probably will, depending on pandemic) add up to five more.

Andrea82

Medalist
Last week, ISU Council approved the schedule of 2021-22 Challenger Series

September 10-12, 2021 Bergamo, ITA
September 16-18, 2021 Montreal, QC, CAN
September 22-25, 2021 Oberstdorf, GER (incl. Pair Skating) (Olympic Qualifying Competition)
September 30-October 2, 2021 Bratislava, SVK
October 7-10, 2021 Espoo, FIN (including Pair Skating)
October 13-17, 2021 Beijing, CHN (including Pair Skating) (Olympic Test Event)
October 28-31, 2021 Almaty, KAZ
November 11-14, 2021 Graz, AUT
November 17-20, 2021 Warsaw, POL (including Pair Skating)
December 8-11, 2021 Zagreb, CRO (including Pair Skating)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't think so. Those are events without pairs. The only way might be that it would be a pairs event without the World Standing Points. Which would make it less attractive for a pair to attend in any case.