2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kind of sad the top three ladies fell but they are doing difficult stuff. I do wonder what everyone's opinion was about tech calls. Skaters like Karen Chen who I think has it all moreso than Bradie when on could get massacared. Bradie is solid but she reminds me a bit of Rachel Flatt (flat) or Kimmie Meissner very capable, solid, skaters and fine artistically but rather meh. No fire like Nicole Bobek, no extreme grace and beauty like Sasha cohen, no over all refinement and consistency like Michelle Kwan. Now I wonder about Ms. Austria and Loena they certainly are making things interesting.

Russia must be doing the happy dance. Honestly I didn't see this happening especially after Trusova's 12th place finish in the short. Solid work from Korea, we do miss the other ET but there is such an air of secrecy about her. Miss her mom too. I wonder if Satoko will now get the boot. Rika maybe will come and win OGM with n o pressure.
Karen should change her technique to rotate on the ice before she takes off rather than after she lands.
LOL I think she should learn to rotate in the air. She has the complete "American" package if she can get the jumps down. She had a chance at Bronze here.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, in a way it looked liked what Men's competition are...
I think the push for TES with jumps has not helped the programs / artistry. It doesn't help that while Japan's skaters are consistent though not great showing here the Russian ladies we may never see again ie Anna, Sasha and Liza you can almost guarantee will not all make it to worlds or the olympics next year. Top skaters can all once or twice and still medal. I am a bit shocked Russia swept the podium. I would have thought Kaori, Rika or even a "surprise" skater would steal a medal. Sasha made a huge error and Liza wasn't clean so I thought either could be beaten. But no skater I thought was beautiul skating and or programs and the jumps were not mesmerizing. WE also see the attempt to do bigger jumps seemed to cause problems with spins - energy, form etc. Loena and Olga really were impressive and shook up the skating world.

A quick comment about Bradie. She a nice person, smart, talented skater, consistent but not a lot of zing, zap or pizzaz. Any news about what happened with Satoko or where is she at? Will the JSF "dump" her.

Curious to see which Korean ladies will go to Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Satoko is working with a Canadian trainer and is focusing on improving her jump technique. But obviously, right now her jumps are nowhere to be found, rather like Medvedeva's first couple of competitions after a summer training with Orser.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
With no quads or 3A, even with no 3-3 combo and with 1 UR, 2 qs, and 1 unclear edge? Sure, sure. Why just 140? She had to get 150!

"3-3" combo means nothing, she did 2A+3T which is the same thing, and Ladies have easily broken the 150 mark with no Quads or 3A. Granted, those were all overscored and I'm totally against the scoring inflation, but Karen most certainly could have been given 140 here.

Her jumps are much better than you try to label them, she actually JUMPS unlike others these days, and she didn't deserve any UR call here.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
"3-3" combo means nothing, she did 2A+3T which is the same thing, and Ladies have easily broken the 150 mark with no Quads or 3A. Granted, those were all overscored and I'm totally against the scoring inflation, but Karen most certainly could have been given 140 here.

Her jumps are much better than you try to label them, she actually JUMPS unlike others these days, and she didn't deserve any UR call here.
*goads you into doing a rescore*

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Russia must be doing the happy dance. Honestly I didn't see this happening especially after Trusova's 12th place finish in the short. Solid work from Korea, we do miss the other ET but there is such an air of secrecy about her. Miss her mom too. I wonder if Satoko will now get the boot. Rika maybe will come and win OGM with n o pressure.

LOL I think she should learn to rotate in the air. She has the complete "American" package if she can get the jumps down. She had a chance at Bronze here.
Me too was betting against a Russian sweep... they got me :laugh:

Who is ET and her mom? What secrecy?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering how these ladies weren't competition ready for the most part except for the Russian ladies i think they did pretty good. Now lets have a full season starting in the fall.
I don’t understand why people keep saying this. They didn’t land their jumps and had little else to offer. In what way were they “competition ready?”

Lzbee

Final Flight
I don’t understand why people keep saying this. They didn’t land their jumps and had little else to offer. In what way were they “competition ready?”
The Russians had a regular season's worth of competitions and have shown that they can produce clean programs this season.

But just because they're "competition ready" doesn't mean they're guaranteed to skate perfectly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians had a regular season's worth of competitions and have shown that they can produce clean programs this season.

But just because they're "competition ready" doesn't mean they're guaranteed to skate perfectly.
Sorry that makes sense. I did know they had competed more.

dearskate

Rinkside
Country
Scotland
The men’s competition was much more interesting to me.
The men's competition was stupendous. So much more emotion, interesting choreography and interpretation of the music. This last point was completely lacking in the ladies. Very disappointing competition.