2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Far less messy than the skates that preceded, but the fall in the beginning and the dicey spins... rather underwhelming from even the medalists. Congrats to holding it together the best though.

This ladies event was honestly a dumpster fire. I know the pandemic situation's been hard on most but frankly the Russians were competition-ready and many others looked fine right in the warmup as well. Anyways, hopefully everyone comes back from the off-season looking better.

Older skating fans, can you remember a worse WC ladies event?
Oh yes, most of the 2000s and the beginning of 2010s

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Far less messy than the skates that preceded, but the fall in the beginning and the dicey spins... rather underwhelming from even the medalists. Congrats to holding it together the best though.

This ladies event was honestly a dumpster fire. I know the pandemic situation's been hard on most but frankly the Russians were competition-ready and many others looked fine right in the warmup as well. Anyways, hopefully everyone comes back from the off-season looking better.

Older skating fans, can you remember a worse WC ladies event?
I mean don't forget that the medalists also had COVID/pneumonia (Anna), COVID (Liza), and a serious injury (Sasha). They were "competition-ready" but all weren't in optimal training form throughout the season either.

And yes haha. There have been worse WC events haha. Also in recent memory the 2018 World's was similarly gasp-inducing.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It's a joke how the scores are handed out, truly.

KAREN CHEN. KAREN CHEN. KAREN CHEN.

FOREVER the REAL World Silver Medalist of 2021.

And how nice for Tuktamysheva to return to the podium with a Bronze as well.
Well, for starters, Karen Chen should up her tech a bit. Very poor tech content, no 3+3s, all the top ladies are doing THREE 3+3 combos these days.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
If I were Eteri this result would scare me. If Alexandra had skated a good short she would have won this even with this sloppy, choreographically empty long.
No not really. Sasha lost about 10-12 points in the short. She would still be behind Anna with 4-6 points. They essentially tied in the free, Anna with no successful quad, Sasha with two.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I were Eteri this result would scare me. If Alexandra had skated a good short she would have won this even with this sloppy, choreographically empty long.
Yeah, no if anything Eteri's probably having a good laugh at this.

Sasha attempted 5 quads (I thought she landed 3?) and barely beat Anna (it was literally .19 of a point) who fell from her one quad.

So once Anna gets back to even two quads she's free and clear, if she does 3 Sasha will need to attempt six quads or a 3A. Good luck with that!

Eteri and co. don't need to worry about a thing.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Well, Midori did fall out of the arena. I was there in person!
So she jumped out of the rink, so what? She deserved a medal just for that... ;)

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Rika skated like she had very serious issues. Hope that she will be getting well. Russian ladies need someone to compete with. The rest of the field including Karen Chen are way too behind.

I am so happy that Liza made a very big bang after 5 years of missing the worlds, after her controversial not going to Saitama. Next year we have Kamila getting senior. There are Darya and Maia. Alyona may find her mojo again. "The worlds is not enough" for all of them. So much drama is expected. As of today I see less than 1% chance that Liza is going to make the Olympic team. But the chance still exists. And even if she does not make it her tonight's worlds silver being a 24 year old RUSSIAN skater is a feat. She is the empress!

The highlights of the night for me were Loena and Olga. 2 very different styles but both are very pleasant to watch.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The most important part:

Karen Chen is the REAL World Silver Medalist.

That freeskate could have been scored as 140, Tuktamysheva at 134, and Trusova at 144 (which isn't enough to make up the SP gap).

readernick

Medalist
My second favourite discipline is Men's (after Pairs), maybe that's why I still enjoyed this event :unsure:

This is funny.;) But, honestly men's has turned into the best singles' discipline ( I agree pairs is the best and most underrated) just full of talent and good skates. ( I hope for the best in the free) Ladies is becoming what men's was a few years ago. All the skater's with the technical good falter. The ones without the technical goods aren't scored well even if they deserve PCS ( still somewhat true in men's) and the winner is the one with the least underwhelming skate. Based on men, it may take ladies 10 years before it gets watchable again. It's the price of technical growth. I can forgive everything except the PCS scores and inconsistent calls from the judges.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The most important part:

Karen Chen is the REAL World Silver Medalist.

That freeskate could have been scored as 140, Tuktamysheva at 134, and Trusova at 144 (which isn't enough to make up the SP gap).
You seem to forget that she had a q on the 3T, a ! and q on the 3F and a < on the 3S. Yeah without that she might have hit 140.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Russians deserves the sweep here, even if very overscored.

It doesn't matter if they are overscored if not a single other skater shows up to the competition though. Which is what happened today. American girls did exactly what I expected, which wasn't much. Korean and Japanese women were the real let down.

Most happy for Elizaveta though. The rare Russian woman who isn't a flash in the pan to be forgotten and discarded the next day.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I don't care much about the PCS scoring as it is just out of my hands. But if I have an opnion about it, I would say that there were two federations who was a bit overscored here in PCS. Russia and the US.

When it comes to the Russian girls it didn't matter, but US got that 3rd spot out of it

So I don't see why some complain about Chen not medalling. Be joyful for her 4th place instead! It was a miracle. The whole event was a mess, and if others had delivered more, Chen could easily have ended up 10th-12th.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Anna Shcherbakova did 7 triple jumps and two 2Axels, along with a 3Lutz+3Loop combo. Compare this layout to these clean skaters. It's actually more difficult even without taking the quad pass into account.

You'd do well to realize that the jump her 4F replaced is a 2Toe, or a 2Loop. And even with a fall, it's worth some 4 points more.
Not too long ago that was considered the benchmark that every woman had to attempt if she wanted to compete for any medal. Now its considered a great disappointment. Times really have changes fast :laugh: