2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate

readernick

Medalist
I don't care much about the PCS scoring as it is just out of my hands. But if I have an opnion about it, I would say that there were two federations who was a bit overscored here in PCS. Russia and the US.

When it comes to the Russian girls it didn't matter, but US got that 3rd spot out of it

So I don't see why some complain about Chen not medalling. Be joyful for her 4th place instead! It was a miracle. The whole event was a mess, and if others had delivered more, Chen could easily have ended up 10th-12th.
It's Karen's great skill. Skating her best when others don't do well. But, yes in normal years those skates would have left her in about 10th place.

Last edited:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I don't care much about the PCS scoring as it is just out of my hands. But if I have an opnion about it, I would say that there were two federations who was a bit overscored here in PCS. Russia and the US.

When it comes to the Russian girls it didn't matter, but US got that 3rd spot out of it

So I don't see why some complain about Chen not medalling. Be joyful for her 4th place instead! It was a miracle. The whole event was a mess, and if others had delivered more, Chen could easily have ended up 10th-12th.
Sorry, you can pick on Karen's underrotations, but her PCS was way underscored. That girl flies around the ice. Her transitions might be limited to accentuate her lines and speed, but she kills it in the other PCS categories.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Yeah, no if anything Eteri's probably having a good laugh at this.

Sasha attempted 5 quads (I thought she landed 3?) and barely beat Anna (it was literally .19 of a point) who fell from her one quad.

So once Anna gets back to even two quads she's free and clear, if she does 3 Sasha will need to attempt six quads or a 3A. Good luck with that!

Eteri and co. don't need to worry about a thing.
She actually only landed on cleanly. She had a ! on her 4F, fell on her 4S (she actually over-rotated the thing), under-rotated and fell on her 4Lz, and eeked out a landing on a downgraded 4T. Her 4Lz+3T was a thing of beauty though!!!

readernick

Medalist
Sorry, you can pick on Karen's underrotations, but her PCS was way underscored. That girl flies around the ice. Her transitions might be limited to accentuate her lines and speed, but she kills it in the other PCS categories.

And Kaori, too. In Kaori's case you can't even cite UR as the cause. The judges just didn't want to give her good GOE or PCS.

Last edited:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
That shouldnt be too hard.
No they should be fine. But lots of things that should have been fine have not been haha. There will be pressure, it'll be the beginning of a new season when skaters won't have peaked yet, and ice is slippery.

But yeah, in theory they should be okay.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Watched the full ladies FS after work, with a bit of 🍷

Overall, the results were fine. I don't agree with all the placements but I rarely do. And there's evergreen problems that bug me (Anna won the event but 150+ for that free skate? ...OK).

Way more importantly, though, there were a ton of things I loved:
  • Josefin's entire program - seriously, one of the most engaging performances of the night. And Sweden gets an Olympic spot!
  • Lindsay van Zundert's well-deserved Personal Best, and Netherlands gets an Olympic spot!
  • Olga Mikutina comes out of nowhere for me with a strong skate, and Austria gets an Olympic spot! Plus I love my Ukrainian-born skaters.
  • Loena Hendrickx finally puts that kind of FS together, and Belgium gets TWO Olympic spots! (one to be re-earned)
  • Kaori's attack and literal cutthroat spiral towards the judges :love:
  • Karen Chen's spiral :love::love::love:
  • USA improbably gets three Olympic spots after all (one to be re-earned)
  • Sasha's incredible fight. I LOVE the way that she goes for it.
  • Liza's second 3A and tears when she got herself another Worlds medal
  • Anna's charming reaction when she found out she won. She has competitive nerves of steel, one of my favorite qualities in an athlete.
Just men and Ice Dance left. Shouldn't be anything else too controversial. What could possibly happen?

Putina

On the Ice
She won by like 9 points. So even if she had received, what, 58 PCS, she'd have received a medal.

This still is a sport as well. Even if I indeed preferred watching Karen Chen.
Why do people keep making this logical fallacy? What LittleLot29 said and what you say are not mutually exclusive. Yes, she could have medaled with lower PCS. And LittleLo29 says she should have received lower PCS. If anything it seems like you two are saying the same thing.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
So basically, all of the top 3 fell at least once. This was definitely not a well skated event.

But somehow everyone seems to forget that this is the First WC where the entire podium plus Rika had ultra elements, so naturally more mistakes could be expected.

It was only during the previous WC, in 2019, when there was a single quad, by Liza Tursinbaeva, and it was a big event that guaranteed her silver. The first quad landed in senior ladies.

And we expect by the next WC to have everyone landing multiple ultra elements and go clean with perfect programs. We seem to have raised our expectations quite a lot. Russian Nationals this year spoiled us.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Just the one? Just for this competition?
I think most single competitions call for at least a bottle. Ice dance perhaps 2 glasses ( mostly because I like what I like but I don't have definite favorites and no one ever thinks ice dance will be fair). Pairs can be watched completely sober though... To me that means pairs is the best discipline ;)

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think that the result was fair'n'square. BUT giving 9s or even 8s for these girls?? Give me a break!
Why is it not 7s and 8s? It could give room and value for real complex skaters (if any out there).....

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Karen was amazing!! Her performance was 50% joy... Bradie’s free skate is my favorite of the sum total of her work and she is a fighter.. Congratulations to both skaters in gaining 3 spots for the USA!! SO many amazing performances in this free, Loena and Josefin were standouts!! BUT, my heart aches.. I missed Kostornia, really really missed her! Bet she would have done well..

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think most single competitions call for at least a bottle. Ice dance perhaps 2 glasses ( mostly because I like what I like but I don't have definite favorites and no one ever thinks ice dance will be fair). Pairs can be watched completely sober though... To me that means pairs is the best discipline ;)
You and me have very little in common when it comes to drink! :rofl: