2021 Worlds: Ladies' Short Program | Page 117 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies' Short Program

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I couldn't watch live so here my opinion.
I don't think Rika was underscored. Her 3A was called q and it was fair. Her 3T was called q but i think it was even UR. Her lutz was georgeous, what should she do to get more than +3 ?
When it comes to Anna she clearly had better spins and more flows in her jumps and landings. However her 3F edge was flat (I don't know for the lutz because of the angle). Furthermore she stumbled at the beginning of her stsq but still received big GOE.
And for PCS I don't really know, Rika is not the most expressive skater and I often think it could be better. But I don't think Anna deserved the PCs she received. They were a little bit high.
Otherwise I'm devastated for Sasha, such an unusual mistake and once again a call on her flip. She will need to do amazingly well in the FS.
It's usually that someone got overscored, not that someone got underscored. I think Rika's scoring was accurate but Anna's was a bit over. Placement could go both ways with their performances.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
ok, but there is good bias (my favorite is sooooo amazing) and bad bias (everyone else s*cks) :ROFLMAO:
Yeah. And then there's me asking for someone to show better edge control than this performed by a lady in this competition:

And not receive an answer. How about you?

McBibus

On the Ice
I‘m no Anna fan but I couldn‘t disagree more. She‘s been given mostly dark, tragic programs, so she couldn‘t show all she can do but her musicality, imo, is remarkable. Look how she interprets every note with both face and body, how she manages to catch up effortlessly even when she makes mistakes by slightly and subtly altering the choreography... I don‘t think you can teach that. Only problem is that she literally never stretches her toes and, of course, the skating skills that hold her back in fully expressing herself on the ice.
:ROFLMAO:
I used to be mad at TT for that.
They gave her so much "tragic" programs that we got so used to see her performing with that suffering expression that we risked to think it was how she really looks.
Luckily one minute of interview always was enough to show the smart and sunny girl she is.

Dawn825

Medalist
So, I don't think that this particular event is such a big shock to her to lead to such a meltdown.
Idk if I would call it a meltdown. For me that requires more than one mistake. She clearly decided she was only going to try a double axel before hand, so that wasn't a mistake. (Did someone watch the practices and know if she was bombing them all day?) The combo was obviously a very costly mistake but it seemed less like nerves and more like a lapse in concentration/dumb mistake - she didn't do one in the warm up and had probably been mostly practicing quads on the practices.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
KAREN. CHEN.

So nice to see her quality being more accurately rewarded in this instance.

Rolling my eyes at people trying to say her jumps are badly <. You have little idea how to look at jump rotations if that's your takeaway, she launches off her toepick far earlier than others, actually jumping before doing the rotation. The 3Loop was unquestionably around and the 3Toe wasn't more than 1/4. Someone even said her combo was almost << in this thread, it's insane how blinded people are by the worse spindly jump technique that currently gets overrewarded.

Zora

On the Ice
The thing with Anna is everyone goes on about her musicality - but turn off the music and it makes no difference. All of her programmes and expressions are always exactly the same. The head tilt with a look a pain. So boring. Give me Liza every day of the week.
I agree, I don't see the superior musicality...
I‘m no Anna fan but I couldn‘t disagree more. She‘s been given mostly dark, tragic programs, so she couldn‘t show all she can do but her musicality, imo, is remarkable. Look how she interprets every note with both face and body, how she manages to catch up effortlessly even when she makes mistakes by slightly and subtly altering the choreography... I don‘t think you can teach that. Only problem is that she literally never stretches her toes and, of course, the skating skills that hold her back in fully expressing herself on the ice.
Only she does not. At the very beginning she is not skating to the music. All those tiny hops in the beginning have nothing to do with the music, the arm movements are beautiful and so is the music, so it looks like she's interpreting the music, but it doesn't match the music. The transitions are often not connected to the music. And then there's the step sequence, the music becomes dramatic, but nothing's happening in her interpretation. There are some nice moments though, like the landing of her Flip and the combination timed to the music and some moments in the step sequence. I think most of the time it's a beautiful girl with good extension skating to beautiful music and that's why she can exchange half of the music of her free program without changing the choreography and it still works.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
You have eyes to see how Sasha improved in a year, but you can't see how Anna improved exactly the same amount in that same year. I don't think judges 'hate' Japanese skaters, the very reasonable explanation is that they just not in a competitive shape as Russians are, due to lack of competitions this year. EDIT: You can see that Koreans were in a better shape too, because they had some competitions just before the Worlds.
That's my only bigger problem with the standing. IMO Yelim Kim should be over Karen Chen and Haein Lee over Bradie Tennel.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
That's my oénly bigger problem with the standing. IMO Yelim Kim should be over Karen Chen and Haein Lee over Bradie Tennel.
Yeah, but the 'problem' with (these exact) Korean skaters is that even they came in good competitive shape, they dont have that much of 'international exposure', as all the other top skaters here (or other better known skaters from their own country). So many factors can be involved, and when you count them all, the judging looks just as 'objective' as it can be :biggrin:

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yeah, but the 'problem' with (these exact) Korean skaters is that even they came in good competitive shape, they dont have that much of 'international exposure', as all the other top skaters here (or other better known skaters from their own country). So many factors can be involved, and when you count them all, the judging looks just as 'objective' as it can be :biggrin:
Yes there are a lot of factors Baron. For some of these skaters this is one of the 1st International competitions and it's a big 1.

Where was Young You?