2021 Worlds: Ladies' Short Program | Page 118 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies' Short Program

Dawn825

Medalist
Yeah, but the 'problem' with (these exact) Korean skaters is that even they came in good competitive shape, they dont have that much of 'international exposure', as all the other top skaters here (or other better known skaters from their own country). So many factors can be involved, and when you count them all, the judging looks just as 'objective' as it can be :biggrin:
That's why I thought the fed should have sent Young over Haein. Haein has zero int'l reputation as a senior. And Yelim isn't well known either. I obviously don't support reputation judging, and would have had Yelim at least fourth. But the judges might have helped Young in the PCS department because she's been pretty hyped.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yes there are a lot of factors Baron. For some of these skaters this is one of the 1st International competitions and it's a big 1.

Where was Young You?
Yes, i was talking about that. Young You just didn't have the best skating at Nationals, as Eunsoo Lim. But after this exposure, next year Yelim Kim will get for the same skate at least a point higher. As Anna and Sasha maybe got this year, as also Karen, Bradie, Liza and Satoko are getting. I mean, we can always complain about standings, but point more or less after the short is rarely a defining factor for the medals, and even if it is, that is a rule of the sport, to have decided standings after the competition.

Last edited:

McBibus

On the Ice
Yeah. And then there's me asking for someone to show better edge control than this performed by a lady in this competition:

And not receive an answer. How about you?
Superlative.
I get you were talking in relative terms about Rika and not absolute, but there is not need to take someone else down to evidence hog good that was.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes, i was talking about that. Young You just didn't have the best skating at Nationals, as Eunsoo Lim. But after this exposure, next year Yelim Kim will get for the same skate at least a point higher. As Anna and Sasha maybe got this year, as also Karen, Bradie and Satoko are getting. I mean, we can always complain about standings, but point more or less after the short is rarely a defining factor for the medals, and even if it is, that is a rule of the sport, to have decided standings after the competition.
Interesting points.

But I don't care that's why didn't the Sasha do the same SP at World's that she did at Nationals when she scored in the upper 70s or whatever it was? Right now she's 12th in the standings with like 64 points and there's too many girls to jump over only a very outside chance for the podium and she would have to hit like 4 quads. But if Sasha scored 75 points a and today's SPC would be right there for the podium and have a chance at the gold.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Because Olympic gold medals are required to be made from at least 92.5% silver, and must contain a minimum of 6 grams of gold. It gets really expensive.

nicfanz

Rinkside
After watching every single skate:

1. Rika Kihira
2. Lee Hae-in
3. Karen Chen
4. Kim Ye-Lim
5. Anna S.

The only ones who stood out for me.

auser

Record Breaker
I watched "All About Eve" (1950) last week, and there was a scene where there was a party. But, the host (played by Bette Davis) wasn't in the mood, and she insisted on "Liebestraum" being played over and over and over again. And the pianist playing it and the guests listening to it were getting fed up.

As for Ye-Lim, great job!

CaroLiza_fan
Love that film.

waterblades

On the Ice
Wow looking at the protocols so impressed with Maddie Sch of Canada! One of the highest for triple triple and if im reading correctly the highest for 2A!
Side note i really wish they would do something about the PCS it is so blatant on who they want to win so frustrating and just shows why more fans are coming to watch. The average joe might not know which jump is which but they sure can tell which one skate well, and can actually interpret music.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm off to bed with my puppy too (today is National Puppy Day in the U.S). I am assuming that Peacock will archive their stream so I can watch it tomorrow while catching up on all the insightful comments made by the Golden Skaters here:bow:. Hope you all enjoy yourselves and I hope all the skaters are able to skate their best:bed:.
I watched this evening..good luck..I still cant figure out what language the announcer is using on Peacock....

Azikin

Medalist
That's why I thought the fed should have sent Young over Haein. Haein has zero int'l reputation as a senior. And Yelim isn't well known either. I obviously don't support reputation judging, and would have had Yelim at least fourth. But the judges might have helped Young in the PCS department because she's been pretty hyped.
I agree. Besides, Young You was very close to podium at Nationals and that was after three falls in jumps. If she succeeded on one more, she would be probably here. And if she got into better shape, she would have been a danger for the best.

Sackie

Medalist
'Wow looking at the protocols so impressed with Maddie Sch of Canada! One of the highest for triple triple and if im reading correctly the highest for 2A!'
So agree and had she had a bigger international profile she would have placed higher. I think she should have been ahead of Bradie.
But who would have thought that she would be skating in the same group as Bradie and Trusova for the free.

Ziotic

Medalist
'Wow looking at the protocols so impressed with Maddie Sch of Canada! One of the highest for triple triple and if im reading correctly the highest for 2A!'
So agree and had she had a bigger international profile she would have placed higher. I think she should have been ahead of Bradie.
But who would have thought that she would be skating in the same group as Bradie and Trusova for the free.
Literally no one. Most thought she wouldn’t make the free! I hope she stays calm.

Sackie

Medalist
I hope she stays calm too! But she seems to have the same fight as Osmond. She just keeps adding jumps and combos to her programs. Not sure she can stay in the top 10 but would be nice if she can make the top 12 for Canada. But think with her skating in the 2nd last group she will get higher PCS.

Ziotic

Medalist
I hope she stays calm too! But she seems to have the same fight as Osmond. She just keeps adding jumps and combos to her programs. Not sure she can stay in the top 10 but would be nice if she can make the top 12 for Canada. But think with her skating in the 2nd last group she will get higher PCS.
Top 12 won’t do it since Emily didn’t qualify for the free. She needs to be top 10 to keep 2 spots and even then someone (Kayla/Alison) would need to qualify at Nebelhorn.
I agree, she seems level headed and to enjoy the pressure/challenge.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Judges? One judge. That's for start.

The others gave +3,+4 and 9.25 (there was more than one 9.50) and a stumble in the middle of the steps should clearly affect the GOE, it would have been a 0 or +1 in my book.

In the past judges used to give negative GOE immediately as soon as they see any mistake like that.