2022 Canadian Nationals: Senior Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2022 Canadian Nationals: Senior Free Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As he whispered in your ear... I had a good look at him in Sochi, sure he can turn an average evening into an unforgettable night! ;)
when i talked to him after an event a few years back... all the kids were around Lolo... and I was the only one talking to Nik... he thought it was very amusing... :) he is such a kind person, with a great quirky sense of humour :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ted says exactly how i feel about Piper and Paul... (or Patrick)... "i watch skating all the time ... but every time i watch them, i get emo"

LadyB

Record Breaker
when i talked to him after an event a few years back... all the kids were around Lolo... and I was the only one talking to Nik... he thought it was very amusing... :) he is such a kind person, with a great quirky sense of humour :)
Yeah, I can imagine.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#MarieJadeLauriault & #RomainLeGac MJL: It wasn’t perfect but it was what we were hoping for. We really lived the moment throughout the whole program so we are just really happy and enjoying this feeling because that is what we have been working for.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#PiperGilles & #PaulPoirier PG: We were a little nervous and we have made so many changes since the grand prix series so this was us testing the waters a little bit. PP (re Olympic prep): Repeat, repeat, repeat. Dissect, dissect, dissect.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#MarjorieLajoie #ZacharyLagha ML: Today was honestly pretty hard. There was a little something, we were struggling and we are not used to that. On every element, there was a little something so it was pretty rough. ZL: I think that it’s just about being more consistent.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I cried watching Piper and Paul's FD practice in Grenoble, today I cried too.
My only regret will be that more people won't have a chance to see this FD in person - it just transforms into something unique live, the music & movement together.
They consequently pursue their very own way of making programs, telling their very own story through performances I feel - and while it's often against the judging grain and trends of what's *hot* in ID, my take is that they did manage to turn that approach into their asset in last 4 years.
It's them and only them who write the script, conduct the narration and direct the expression based on their own experience and what's creative reflection of them in the given program - and I personally love that each performance of that FD (or every other one in last quad) looked, felt, resonated differently within me. It's a perfect illustration of their strive to not only improve program from technical/judging perception standpoints, but also to make the program more accessible to connect fir the people. Also, the continuous metamorphosis of the FD image is a perfect parallel of their skating road that was never easy, but always full of adventures :)
Comparing today's version to IdF, I personally felt better build up towards Finale in the second part - all choreo elements and transitions felt more *alive*, dynamic, expressive and effective. I also like how those step sequences weave with the music in the 1st part.
I do feel that the peak will be indeed at the Olympics, as intended, regardless of final results. And that's a success itself I feel - to steer the progress of how the vehicles grow and build their strenght by themselves, by own work, improvements and by sticking to the idea that led the whole thing out.
But you know, I am the most biased person here probably when it comes to P&P, so...;)

rain

Record Breaker
I was just able to watch Piper and Paul's program again on my television screen rather than computer, and I loved it even more. There are some many perfect choreographic moments now that dovetail perfectly with the music. This program has now turned into magic. I should know better by now than to doubt their ability to do it. I had the same experience with Both Sides Now. It wasn't quite there yet at Autumn Classic, but by Skate Canada it was magic.

Once again, I feel so badly for them that they don't get an Olympic sendoff with an audience — who would have 100% been on their feet after that skate. This program is now another masterpiece. One of my favourites now of the season, worldwide.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I don’t care what it is—there’s no voiceover and it is a hundred times better!!!
I don't really think so. I really liked the previous version of that FD, it was actually one of my favorites both last season and this. I think it's pretty obvious that I am not as much against voiceovers as many here (I really don't understand how it is okay to skate to silence like Torvill/Dean did in their program, but not to a speaking voice), and the choreography matching the music (complete with voiceovers) is much more important to me than whether there are voiceovers. All the nuances of the choreo, including all technical elements, fit the old music perfectly, but this felt like some other music was just put over their FD without caring about whether it matched the choreo or not. To me it seemed like they were just skating (or, rather, running) through the music. Perhaps I will change my mind with another performance, but I am not sure at all.

Last edited: