2022 Olympics Gala | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Gala

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Thank to another skating fans posting the following statistics. Alysa is getting famous in South Korea overnight.

Alysa Liu is currently going viral for their performance of "Loco" at the Olympics Gala presentation. "Loco" is a song by Korean-pop girl band ITZY and the song's theme centers around being "crazily obsessed" about something. In this case, Alysa's performance can be interpreted as her "crazy" obsession with figure skating.

Stats:
- Nearly 300,000 views on Twitter in the last three hours with nearly 13,000 likes and 7,000 retweets
- The girl band reposted Alysa's performance on their Instagram (they have 15 million followers)
- Alysa's post on Instagram garnered over 13,000 likes in 2 hours
- Alysa's performance was reposted South Korea's Olympic account on Instagram, the only skater whose Gala performance was reposted
- Alysa's performance was also (re)posted by ITZY, the Olympic channel, and various other outlets on Twitter

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Alysa Liu borrowed the red costume she wore from Olivia Smart!

Alysa is lucky. Adults around Alysa Liu are so good and sweet! Team USA should win GOLD for their team spirit and kindness.

a5vd7eny4xi81.jpg

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
So happy to see Vincent get a second moment on Olympic ice. He looked like that exhibition performance sapped his energy though, so his bout with that shall which not be named really did a number on him. I hope he gets enough training and recovery time before worlds, as he really deserves a shot at that podium.

Edit: Just saw that he was banned from the closing ceremonies despite having 14 (?!) negative tests and being double masked AND having been allowed to do the exhibition. Shame on the Chinese for doing that. Considering all that he was denied at Olys, they should have at least let him have that experience.

Last edited:

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
Wow. Piper & Paul skated to Vincent right after Vincent. I know they've skated in competition and exhibition to that, but it still feels nice since Zhou couldn't do his SP.

I quite like this use of the ice as a backdrop. This should be done in more exhibition performances.

Last edited:

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
Honestly, I'm so outdone with Peacock right now I could cancel it. The edit of the gala is so chopped up which is inexcusable. A recording doesn't have time limitations. Just make it 3 hours instead of 2.5 hours so that everyone gets their bows. And now, I'm not even halfway through and Peacock is borked and isn't loading at all.

NBC, you suck. I hope you lose billions of dollars due to low ratings because you truly suck at presenting the performances correctly.

reneerose

Final Flight
Thank to another skating fans posting the following statistics. Alysa is getting famous in South Korea overnight.

Alysa Liu is currently going viral for their performance of "Loco" at the Olympics Gala presentation. "Loco" is a song by Korean-pop girl band ITZY and the song's theme centers around being "crazily obsessed" about something. In this case, Alysa's performance can be interpreted as her "crazy" obsession with figure skating.

Stats:
- Nearly 300,000 views on Twitter in the last three hours with nearly 13,000 likes and 7,000 retweets
- The girl band reposted Alysa's performance on their Instagram (they have 15 million followers)
- Alysa's post on Instagram garnered over 13,000 likes in 2 hours
- Alysa's performance was reposted South Korea's Olympic account on Instagram, the only skater whose Gala performance was reposted
- Alysa's performance was also (re)posted by ITZY, the Olympic channel, and various other outlets on Twitter
Wow...way to go Alysa! Her gala exhibition skate was so full of joy, she brightened up the whole Olympics! ITZY's royalties are going to go through the roof! :laugh:
Keegan Messing made Canada proud at the Gala…He skated to Newfoundland’s Alan Doyle’s ( Great Big Sea) 1234…What a performance, it brought the house down…WOW. View on CBC

I have to say again I love Keegan so much! Everything he picks suits his style and his skating persona. A great showman and he does evoke some elements of one of his idols Elvis Stojko, bold, edgy, and out there with energy and enthusiasm! A seasoned crowd-pleaser! ❤️

Last edited:

Erin9

On the Ice
So happy to see Vincent get a second moment on Olympic ice. He looked like that exhibition performance sapped his energy though, so his bout with that shall which not be named really did a number on him. I hope he gets enough training and recovery time before worlds, as he really deserves a shot at that podium.

Edit: Just saw that he was banned from the closing ceremonies despite having 14 (?!) negative tests and being double masked AND having been allowed to do the exhibition. Shame on the Chinese for doing that. Considering all that he was denied at Olys, they should have at least let him have that experience.
Agreed. I was thrilled to see Vincent get another shot on Olympic ice. And he performed so well. Did look tired though. I hope he can be ready to go at world’s and have 2 great skates.

I could not figure out WHY he was banned from the closing. He’d tested negative, was allowed to skate at the gala. I truly don’t get it. Seemed terribly unfair to him.

Speaking of the men- Nathan was super fun to watch. Looked like he was having a blast. And that back flip!! Reminds of the old days when Scott Hamilton did them all the time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah my cousin said they cherry picked for the NBC Primetime broadcast. I hate that they don't show everyone like they did in the old days. Fans have to dig to find a broadcast that shows ALL of the participants in the gala or ALL of the skaters competing in the individual disciplines. Am trying to re-watch parts of the Gala I missed on Peacock right now staying up late and the ads keep looping and not going on to the next skater and I keep having to refresh the replay stream. It's driving me mad! Edited to add: NBC has broke me. I caved into the higher tier and now it's sort of how it was in the old NBC Sports Pass days, the annoying ads are mostly gone. Why even have the middle tier, when they really want to you pay the full tier price anyway? Apologies for digressing.
I was told the higher tier still had ads.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That is so sad.

reneerose

Final Flight
I was told the higher tier still had ads.
It does, but there didn't seem to be as many in the gala or as many stuck ads. I mean I guess I could have checked my Internet speed, maybe that was a factor. I just got so fed up with it. I swear Peacock/NBC makes it that you don't like the 2nd tier so much that you end up signing up and paying the $5.00 more for the higher tier. Shame.on.them.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know how they pick the athletes for Galas? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, except for the top 3 in each discipline.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm did China or IOC like the no. 7 position. So odd picking no. 7 skaters to share in the exhibition. Usually no. 4 is asked - so close to the podium but this year not so much - though Kamila already left. Nice to see Vinnie in the exhibition. Not the most charismatic skater. The lack of practice and show lights did cause some jump problems especially with the Japanese skaters. Messing was quite fun and the Italian pairs were too though I do think Matteo was pandering to the audience. Kind of clear he is not modest with his body. Maybe he got confused and thought this was an underwear runway??? LOL Anna was beautiful. I guess it was fitting that this being China the Chinese pairs would close the show but I have to say as beautiful as there skating is and how thy have been it for so long I kind of felt sorry for T and M who I thought HERE equally deserved the gold and by the luck of the draw may never win a world title. I would love for T and M to get gold at worlds but they have two other Russians and the Chinese though S and H might quit on top? Pushing their luck maybe not a great idea? Actually the top three teams or four teams were all amazing Maybe even top 5. I do hope Canada comes back (both pairs) at worlds. Kaori elegant as usual. Trusova ended her olympics on a good high note. Nathan was and is king - it was fun to see him entertain. Vicki and Nick are a good looking couple. PC - was this their last skate - I assume they will go to France for worlds though and really no on can touch them. The best hope is injured (SK) and may not even podium. As we celebrate the medallists I hope for some "justice" or balancing out so my hope - Vinnie and Keegan medal at worlds, T and M win go ld, Gilles and Porier win at least a medal along with Chock and Bates. Karen, James and Radford, MTM bring it to worlds. Exhibition is a nice way to end skating (Best use of video - VIncent routine for Gilles and Porier - it fit)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how they pick the athletes for Galas? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, except for the top 3 in each discipline.

I thought they picked who they thought would be most entertaining, based on their programs, other than the medalists, but I'm wondering why they didn't include Brown.

Erin9

On the Ice
NBC’s coverage of the gala was poor. I pointedly recorded the hour after the prime time show when they said they’d showcase the gala…and they still left out a ton of top skaters. :(

I did enjoy Alysa’s performance at the gala. Glad she’s getting attention for it. I have to agree with Terry Gannon when he commented on performances at the Olympics- I don’t think anyone had more fun than her. Lol She was a bright spot in a depressing women’s event. She had a blast. Clearly.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Did I miss it or was there an explanation why Young You didn't do the gala? I think she was originally listed (and Wakaba wasn't listed originally). Alysa even said something about wishing they (she and Young) could do a duet. I didn't hear why she wasn't there.

I also loved Alysa's performance! :love: