2022 Skate America Men's Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Men's Free Skate

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could Junhwan have won if he had landed that last axel combo perfectly? I need an answer to this for my sanity's sake. 😟

Janice4th

On the Ice
I’m generally with you - I’m definitely a fan who favors artistry over jumps. But I also appreciate athleticism and what he displays with his jumps is extraordinary. Also - he’s kind of a baby. Nathan was pretty much jump jump jump at 17 and he really found a style and a sense of artistry that I love. I’m hoping Ilia finds that, too. He does skate with a lot of passion - I really enjoyed his step sequence. I’m rooting for him. I’m excited to see how he develops.
Based on some of the performance quality in the step sequences, I believe he will get there.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me, hearing any form of The Mission always brings me back to Matt Savoie at 2006 US Nats.

Nobody will ever do a better program to The Mission than this. Unless we are truly blessed with more incentive for artistry in the sport and some kind of angel descended from heaven comes along.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Just watched some performances again properly!

I adore Ilia. There is something very earnest about him and the tiger mum in me laughed along with him when he laughed at himself after his fall.

He might not be performing at Jun levels but he tries and I respect him for that! He does not skate around with a dead or blank face, he's really trying to sell his program and I think that's absolutely wonderful. The quads don't hurt either obviously 😂

Jun was splendid!!! Can we make Jun skate to a hideous program of some sort and see if he'll turn it into art???? I think he would!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
not saying just one... but not the entire top 10 in the world. (6 skaters did get all 9s at the olympics in the men.. )
It’s definitive however that Ilya Malinin is the only skater in the world who can jump 4A and then follow it with 4Lz and throw in 3Lz+3A at the end, the jumps other skaters often fall on even when they do them first, stand alone, and try really hard to land them.

PCSs are not unique. Malinin’s jumping content certifiably is. And we all can see it without any learned discussion and hand waving from the judges about interpretation

Zora

On the Ice
I’m generally with you - I’m definitely a fan who favors artistry over jumps. But I also appreciate athleticism and what he displays with his jumps is extraordinary. Also - he’s kind of a baby. Nathan was pretty much jump jump jump at 17 and he really found a style and a sense of artistry that I love. I’m hoping Ilia finds that, too. He does skate with a lot of passion - I really enjoyed his step sequence. I’m rooting for him. I’m excited to see how he develops.
Yes, he is young and he can grow artistically. But what was this kind of music? Listening to it alone, does it scream figure skating program? :scratch2: Is it good music for a program with 5 quads? I thought it was absolutely horrible. :ROFLMAO:
Give him something with a theme, a few poses her and there, and everything will look better. I know not everyone liked it, but for example Trusova's program last season was a lot better suited for this jumping madness.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just dropping by to say, Wow, that was some gorgeous jumping by Ilia Malinin. Hats off. The quad axel was a thing of Beauty.
Please please please no breaking bones and stay healthy, young man. I hope to see more of this for many years to come! The finer points of presentation, I’m sure they will come in time (not that I can really tell the difference, lol).

16Olympics

On the Ice
There was so much air on the 4A. Just wow. Congratulations young man. Looking forward to fireworks to come by others trying to create their buzz week after week. Ilia kicking off the season with the 4A would have been enough but my, oh my. His reactions are still so young and fresh but his skating is for real. Much to look forward to this year.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Yes, he is young and he can grow artistically. But what was this kind of music? Listening to it alone, does it scream figure skating program? :scratch2: Is it good music for a program with 5 quads? I thought it was absolutely horrible. :ROFLMAO:
Give him something with a theme, a few poses her and there, and everything will look better. I know not everyone liked it, but for example Trusova's program last season was a lot better suited for this jumping madness.
I actually think that music works for him. Something lyrical would just expose what he's really still working on. He obviously enjoys skating to it based on how he sells the step sequence. He went so hard he almost Patrick Chan-ed himself! I think he is very well packaged this season.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am declaring this... i will never ever again put a Selevko Saguaro in my prediction games... even if I play Estonian Nationals.
He was visibly nervous at practice. This is his first event out of Europe. He speaks Estonian and Russian, so he brought felt extra nervous. He is a 🌵 , but when he is on his game, he is great. Time difference, probably hurt him too.

beachmouse

On the Ice
Malinin is definitely a work in progress on the artistic side but yeah, the jump foundation is obviously so good and the artistic can be worked on in a way that suits his skating style. I’m looking forward to watching to see where they go with him.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I too prefer artistry to skate jumping! For me his program consisted of skate jump,skate jump,skate jump! There was absolutely no choreography,Yes, he is young and he can grow artistically. But what was this kind of music? Listening to it alone, does it scream figure skating program? :scratch2: Is it good music for a program with 5 quads? I thought it was absolutely horrible. :ROFLMAO: