2022 Team Japan (Olympics/4CC/JWC/WC) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2022 Team Japan (Olympics/4CC/JWC/WC)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I guess that Rinka will be sent somewhere to get JWC minimums.
Yes, there are others (I didn't get who) that will need the minimum.

Adding: it's the Jr. WC assignments - Rinka Watanabe, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Kida/Morita will need the TES minimum.

readernick

Medalist
Also, sending M/T to Worlds is smart. They're a little too volatile for the Olys, but are far more likely than KK to place in the top 10 and get two ID spots
They aren't going to place top 10 unless all the favorites decide to skip Worlds after the Olympics. Not even the Spanish teams manage that and with all respect to both Japanese teams they aren't at that level. However, I do think these two teams are essentially equal in scoring potential. Kana is the best ice dancer of the group, but Dai really struggles with lifts. He is, of course, a wonderful performer. K/K aren't as good of ice dancers as Kana but they don't have the instability of Dai either.

So hanyu goes to Olys? I thought his fans used to say that he doesn't care about Olys anymore. Hilarious. It was always about it
I'm sure he wouldn't mind another medal. But, clearly his primary focus is landing the 4A. If he was primarily interested in winning, he would instead be practicing 4Lo and 4Lz. Jumps he has landed and could likely land again not the 4A which is an almost impossible feat.

liv

Record Breaker
I don't think it was his first priority. Maybe his primary motivation was 4A, but if you're skating well and win your Nats, why would you not go to Olympics? I"m sure Olys were in the back of his mind, but the 4A is where it's at.. and now that it looks almost doable, why not make the goal landing it there?

wish Mai could go to World's. I see her as being far more consistent and she got good international scores this year. Mana might be up and coming, but I'd say she's still a question mark.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As expected. Neither Mai nor MT would have benefited Japan's quest for a team medal. There was no particular reason for Japan to do anything but go with the results.
I wonder why they have a whole list of criteria when they take the decision solely on nats results. Nats results are the only point where Mana has the edge (by 3 points). For all the others, Mai did better. But not even worlds for her. They gave everything to one skater.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I don't think the Team event (at Olympics) members have been set yet, other than pair and dance, or the skaters wouldn't be talking about 'if I'm to skate in the Team event,...' in the meeting earlier.

And no sub-list to be published yet.

pianistliz

On the Ice
So hanyu goes to Olys? I thought his fans used to say that he doesn't care about Olys anymore. Hilarious. It was always about it
If you've watched any of his interviews the past several years, he's said the 4A is his sole remaining goal, and he just wants to land it in competition, period. Olympics counts and he never said it was off the table. He said earlier this week that he's cool with the Olympics being part of the journey towards landing it if that's how things play out. His other option for the next comp would be 4CC, but why go try to land it at 4CC when you could potentially get an Olympic medal for doing the exact same thing?

readernick

Medalist
How is the team event looking with team Koko instead of MT skating?
The same as if MT were skating. Other than Warsaw Trophy which was a travesty of terrible scoring in all events, their results were very similar. It is Japan's biggest weakness regardless of which team was sent and why they are likely to get bronze not silver. But, who knows? Falls happen.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
If you've watched any of his interviews the past several years, he's said the 4A is his sole remaining goal, and he just wants to land it in competition, period. Olympics counts and he never said it was off the table. He said earlier this week that he's cool with the Olympics being part of the journey towards landing it if that's how things play out. His other option for the next comp would be 4CC, but why go try to land it at 4CC when you could potentially get an Olympic medal for doing the exact same thing?
So if he had landed it at nationals he would perhaps have left with his goal reached. Whatever I'm glad we'll see him at the olympics :)

lady_bee

Medalist
Sports reporter Jack Gallagher was tweeting yesterday that Kana/Dai would be selected according to his contacts. But we will soon see, I hope soon anyway.
I don't trust Mr. Jack Gallagher, I think I said it before several times. I don't even think he is interested in Figure Skating.