2022 Team Japan (Olympics/4CC/JWC/WC) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 Team Japan (Olympics/4CC/JWC/WC)

Joekaz

On the Ice
I wonder why they have a whole list of criteria when they take the decision solely on nats results. Nats results are the only point where Mana has the edge (by 3 points). For all the others, Mai did better. But not even worlds for her. They gave everything to one skater.
They are looking to the future with Mana. She has very good potential and was scored pretty harshy this season, so she needs to add to her international reputation. Mai is the past as far as JSF is concerned. They supported her pretty good through the season, but she didn't come through when she needed to. That is the harsh reality of sport.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
They are looking to the future with Mana. She has very good potential and was scored pretty harshy this season, so she needs to add to her international reputation. Mai is the past as far as JSF is concerned. They supported her pretty good through the season, but she didn't come through when she needed to. That is the harsh reality of sport.

The JSF answered questions about the selection criteria for Beijing 2022. First of all, Mana Kawabe belongs to the next generation of skaters, while Miyahawa and Mihara are experienced skaters. The JSF wanted a young skater to represent Japan along with Sakamoto and Higuchi, looking toward the future. In addition, Kawabe is a tough competitor who succeeded in landing the triple axel twice, which is considered the big weapon to compete internationally. The current scoring system, which rewards big jumpers with extra points, is not in favor of Miyahawa and Mihara.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personally, I would have liked M/T in ice dance for the Olympics + team event... considering that they have usually beaten K/K in other events ... and then, K/K could have been sent to Worlds... So, I would have done the reverse here....for women, I think JSF is sending its best team despite the absence of Rika. Men : I love Shoma. So that's all I will say :) Pairs, no brainer. I did enjoy watching the younger unknown-to-me-team as they are developing. Very elementary tricks but a nice and pleasant team to watch.

Joekaz

On the Ice
The JSF answered questions about the selection criteria for Beijing 2022. First of all, Mana Kawabe belongs to the next generation of skaters, while Miyahawa and Mihara are experienced skaters. The JSF wanted a young skater to represent Japan along with Sakamoto and Higuchi, looking toward the future. In addition, Kawabe is a tough competitor who succeeded in landing the triple axel twice, which is considered the big weapon to compete internationally. The current scoring system, which rewards big jumpers with extra points, is not in favor of Miyahawa and Mihara.

The one problem with that answer about Mana is that if that is the case, why has the JSF wasted the last few years putting most of their support behind a skater incapable of a 3A and actively working against skaters that can land a 3A?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The one problem with that answer about Mana is that if that is the case, why has the JSF wasted the last few years putting most of their support behind a skater incapable of a 3A and actively working against skaters that can land a 3A?
1. Because Mana's 3A was never stable probably until the recent 1 or 2 months.
2. There are different approaches to skaters without a 3A and with 'potential abilities' to jump a 3A.

My personal outlook: for Mana, the good news is that her coach is experienced with skaters to Olympics. But I hope she'll be careful with her training as well (I have some debates in mind about Coach Hamada and her past students including Rika, Satoko, and Yuna S. Also, considering Hamada is having a handful of talent Jr. skaters, it will be interesting how many of them will be able to stand out and stay long(?).)

readernick

Medalist
My personal outlook: for Mana, the good news is that her coach is experienced with skaters to Olympics. But I hope she'll be careful with her training as well (I have some debates in mind about Coach Hamada and her past students including Rika, Satoko, and Yuna S. Also, considering Hamada is having a handful of talent Jr. skaters, it will be interesting how many of them will be able to stand out and stay long(?)

I just wanted to add my thanks for all your informative posts this week!

Hamada is a hard one to like, isn't she? Extremely questionable methods and, yet, she manages to produce some wonderful skaters. It's the situation I see with almost all successful coaches of young skaters around the world (aside from those that work mostly with international adult students) and really makes me worry about the ethics of skating since so many of the athletes are underage and easily abused. But, this isn't the place to talk about this... Sorry for going off topic šŸ˜

I think Mana has a good future in figure skating. What I primarily like about her is her fearlessness. She isn't the kind of skater who melts down. She fights. That was evident in her FS at JN, even though all the jumps after the wonderful 3A were a bit off she made it work. She didn't pop, she didn't fall. She fought. I think she will fight at the Olympics and Worlds, too.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Iā€™m really happy with Rinka Watanabeā€™s selection to Junior Worlds. She gets to go to Bavarian and then Junior Worlds. I really wanted to see her internationally after her great performance at Nationals and my prayers were answered. Iā€™m just a bit nervous about her having a meltdown there, as I trust Rion more than her. Not sure if this is how to get three spots for Japan. But, she deserves the opportunity. She has a triple axel and the Japanese are coming strong with Ladies on the team going for ultra-c elements. Rion with 4T and Rinka with 3A go to Jr Worlds with Wakaba and Mana with their 3As joining Kaori at Olympics and Sr Worlds. Also, Mao with the landed 4T waiting in the wings. Iā€™m really excited for the Japanese skating prospects at the upcoming events over the next few years. They have a lot of stars.

Rinoā€¦. Iā€™m so happy she gets 4CC. I get to see her again.

I look at JSF and they are the best federation. Everything they do is fair and makes sense. Okā€¦. Time to rewatch Wakabaā€™s and Kaoriā€™s free skate I goā€¦.. šŸ˜œ

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
My personal outlook: for Mana, the good news is that her coach is experienced with skaters to Olympics. But I hope she'll be careful with her training as well (I have some debates in mind about Coach Hamada and her past students including Rika, Satoko, and Yuna S. Also, considering Hamada is having a handful of talent Jr. skaters, it will be interesting how many of them will be able to stand out and stay long(?).)

I have been rooting for Mana Kawabe because she is originally from my hometown but she moved to Kyoto with her mom to work with Hamada three years ago. The local media calls her Cinderella as she came out of nowhere to grab the Olympic spot. Mana could not land the triple axel until this year's Japan Open. Recently, Hamada had a personal conflict with Oda who pushed skaters to study harder but we should respect what she does as long as her pupils are successful in figure skating.

Last edited:

irriya

On the Ice
I wish Mai for Olympic and Mana for Worlds but deep in my heart, I know it's impossible. They will not let one coach team to get two Olympic spots so Mai will always be their last choice. If Satoko didn't make that fall, they'll never talk about sending new generations (I mean when have they had the guts for that). I'm seriously worried about securing 3 spots at worlds now...

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I wonder why they have a whole list of criteria when they take the decision solely on nats results. Nats results are the only point where Mana has the edge (by 3 points). For all the others, Mai did better. But not even worlds for her. They gave everything to one skater.
Mana got a silver medal in one of her grand prix, mai didn't place a the podium in neither of her events
Mana is landing her triple axels in both the short and long programs and is getting consistency so better score potential for her
Mai is consistent but didn't do her best at nationals placing below her partners in a decisive event she also don't have a big element in her repertory
I'm still sad about the fact she won't go to the olympics but I think it's fair that Mana was selected, but I think is very unfair Mai did't get World Championships at the same time

yume

šŸ‰
Record Breaker

Lol, not Mai getting 76/77 TES twice this season while Mana didn't achieve that with her 3A. And in SP, she's just 3 points behind. If scoring potential is a factor, i think it's clear that at this point, Mai can score the same if not more in both programs.

If promoting the new generation was really important they would have given a chance to Tomoe to compete at worlds.

They just send whoever they want, that's all.

Anyway, i'm tired of hoping for my faves. Fed always find a way not to give them spots and when they do everything to get them, competitions are cancelled (my poor Hana)

With wakaba's luck, we will discover a Shaka variant in january, olys will be postponed and fed will restart selections.

yume

šŸ‰
Record Breaker
Mana got a silver medal in one of her grand prix, mai didn't place a the podium in neither of her events
Mana is landing her triple axels in both the short and long programs and is getting consistency so better score potential for her
Mai is consistent but didn't do her best at nationals placing below her partners in a decisive event she also don't have a big element in her repertory
I'm still sad about the fact she won't go to the olympics but I think it's fair that Mana was selected, but I think is very unfair Mai did't get World Championships at the same time
Mai always has the luck to end in GPs where you have to score 210+ to end on podium. Mana won her silver with 205 and scored 186 at skate Canada while Mai scored 210 and 214 at her events. Mana didn't do better, she was just luckier. Trusova, Kihira and Usacheva withdrawals got her this result.

Last edited:

lady_bee

Medalist
Mai always has the luck to end in GPs where you have to score 210+ to end on podium. Mana won her silver with 205 and scored 186 at skate Canada while Mai scored 210 and 214 at her events. Mana didn't do better, she was just luckier. Trusova, Kihira and Usacheva withdrawals got her this result.
That's one of the reason I've commented "Mai, what a unlucky girl:(". Life is not always fair, as we all know.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Luck is part of sports. Thats why the best or most talented often are not the winners. You could easily argue that all of Kaori's biggest wins were luck due to better skaters either being injured and or making mistakes to allow her to win. But lucky or not, a win is a win.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mai had it but messed up her double axel while Mana delivered. As much as I really wanted Mai and Dai at the Olympics they have had their chances in the past and failed to deliver at these Nationals and the fed made what is the fairest decisions. Sorry but sentimental favouritism is negligible when it comes to selecting based upon what is fair and just.