2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the pairs free. There is nothing more satisfying than when competitors who have been in it for the long haul are finally rewarded. So happy for Sui and Han!!! And Tarasova and Morozov! I love a good comeback story. I got the same teary elation when Shen and Zhao won and when Savchenko and Massot won. What a great end to the competition!

Alexa Knierim, so proud of you, girl!
Then you must be sad for KMT from Canada and the italians.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The scoring is completely fair here. SH have more difficult contents in the free which gives them 2-3 points advantage in base value. TM were a bit shaky in 3 elements (sbs jump, a throw and a reverse lift) which cost them at least 2-3 GOE points. SH clearly deserve better PCS than TM hence if anything TM were overscored in PCS. Plus I find TM’s PCS in the short was overscored too. I don’t have problems with their SS and TR but their interpretation of the music should never be above 9 IMO. That affects PE too which I think is also overscored.
The majority on this forum and the media favour Sui and han but it was so close it easily could have gone to T and \M and there would be no real argument Both teams here were eually goood and deserving gold. Had this been in Russia I think T and M wuld be on top but we were lucky to see two great performances.

Erin9

On the Ice
The majority on this forum and the media favour Sui and han but it was so close it easily could have gone to T and \M and there would be no real argument Both teams here were eually goood and deserving gold. Had this been in Russia I think T and M wuld be on top but we were lucky to see two great performances.
Agreed. I think gold/silver legit could have gone either way. That was unbelievably close- just like the last Olympics between 1-2. I do wonder if location of the Olympics played a tiny role.

But- S/H were very deserving. Happy to see them get gold on home ice after barely missing out on gold last time. And happy to see T/M on the podium. I thoroughly enjoyed M/G as well.

All 3 medalists has fantastic programs. Very enjoyable to watch. Another poster referenced the 1994 Olympics- and that was a fabulous pairs competition too.

Glad figure skating ended on a positive note with great performances by the top teams.

And- this was the best the USA Teams has done in a very long time. WTG. I was pretty shocked. Lol

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Agreed. I think gold/silver legit could have gone either way. That was unbelievably close- just like the last Olympics between 1-2. I do wonder if location of the Olympics played a tiny role.

But- S/H were very deserving. Happy to see them get gold on home ice after barely missing out on gold last time. And happy to see T/M on the podium. I thoroughly enjoyed M/G as well.

All 3 medalists has fantastic programs. Very enjoyable to watch. Another poster referenced the 1994 Olympics- and that was a fabulous pairs competition too.

Glad figure skating ended on a positive note with great performances by the top teams.

And- this was the best the USA Teams has done in a very long time. WTG. I was pretty shocked. Lol
I went down a YouTube rabbit hole yesterday and ran across the link below. Posting it because you mentioned the 1994 Olympics, which really was a wonderful pairs event. Am not sure but I think the first part is G&G’s short program. The 2nd part is puzzling—it looks like an excerpt from their LP but not in their LP costumes.

At any rate, their skating is simply sublime IMO. I loved the interpretation of the Debussy in the SP. Some of their positions…and Katia’s lovely smile just at the beginning…pure magic! :love2:

I still miss them, and still remember my shock and sadness at Sergei’s death.

Erin9

On the Ice
I went down a YouTube rabbit hole yesterday and ran across the link below. Posting it because you mentioned the 1994 Olympics, which really was a wonderful pairs event. Am not sure but I think the first part is G&G’s short program. The 2nd part is puzzling—it looks like an excerpt from their LP but not in their LP costumes.

At any rate, their skating is simply sublime IMO. I loved the interpretation of the Debussy in the SP. Some of their positions…and Katia’s lovely smile just at the beginning…pure magic! :love2:

I still miss them, and still remember my shock and sadness at Sergei’s death.

There never have been- and probably never will be- a pair I loved as much as G & G again. They were great skaters - and just had something special. I can’t define it, but it was just magic watching them skate. Sergei’s death was such a shock. And a tragedy.

The you tube performance looked like their gala performance in 1994.

Not to go too far OT, but…..What I thought was cool was that in their last years we saw them stylistically switch things up a bit. Broaden their horizons. It was fun to see.

To circle back to the original point lol: 1994 was just a great pairs competition between 3 teams that were so consistently fabulous and performed well at the Olympics.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
There never have been- and probably never will be- a pair I loved as much as G & G again. They were great skaters - and just had something special. I can’t define it, but it was just magic watching them skate. Sergei’s death was such a shock. And a tragedy.

The you tube performance looked like their gala performance in 1994.

Not to go too far OT, but…..What I thought was cool was that in their last years we saw them stylistically switch things up a bit. Broaden their horizons. It was fun to see.

To circle back to the original point lol: 1994 was just a great pairs competition between 3 teams that were so consistently fabulous and performed well at the Olympics.
Thanks, you could be right about the gala. I just assumed it wasn't because galas usually have spotlights and there weren't any here, but that would explain the LP excerpt.

Returning to the original topic, all of the top pairs were excellent. I agree that the OGM could have gone either way and that location could have been a factor. Also hoping that this is the beginning of a rebirth in US pairs skating!

withwings

On the Ice
Thanks, you could be right about the gala. I just assumed it wasn't because galas usually have spotlights and there weren't any here, but that would explain the LP excerpt.

Returning to the original topic, all of the top pairs were excellent. I agree that the OGM could have gone either way and that location could have been a factor. Also hoping that this is the beginning of a rebirth in US pairs skating!
Please :pray:, dear, do not say this - it is not truth. It IS NOT a truth. A location does not make any sense. Someone said (prior Olympics, namely Moskvina ) and then people without any thought keep repeating and repeating. Location in this particular case does not make any sense. T/M for example rather would have melted down if Olympics would be in their home country- these things are unpredictable, unfathomable and we have to celebrate what is given us today. And what is given is absolutely amazing skates by ALL TOP teams where S/H were UNDENIABLE #1. I love T/M ( and for me personally they are my number 1 in general and always) but I gladly admit that S/H were better. and regarding location...location rather helped for everyone to skate their very best and to have that Olympic moment which they had there....it was a real feast, the Pair event. I am immensely graceful to all pair teams for giving that incredible feeling of ...what Olympics is about. .

Last edited:

YagsFan

On the Ice
To be fair before T/M, Trankov wasn't even coaching full time. Eteri and her team are not pair coach. The only true pair technician coach in that group is Sliuserenko so you can't really fault people for doubting.

But people who have been watching T/M for years know what their problem is. It's all mental.
I have a question: in the Kiss & Cry after T/M's skate, Trankov was on (our) right of the pair; who was the man sitting on the left side? Thanks

YagsFan

On the Ice
Those who did not reach the free skate

17​
ZUKOVA Jelizaveta / BIDAR MartinCZE
54.64​
29.56​
27.08​
6.89​
6.75​
6.54​
7.00​
6.68​
2.00​
#8​
18​
ZIEGLER Miriam / KIEFER SeverinAUT
51.96​
24.53​
27.43​
7.00​
6.89​
6.61​
7.00​
6.79​
0.00​
#5​
WD​
CHTCHETININA Ioulia / MAGYAR MarkHUN
#7​
dorispulaski,

Do you know how these things are decided (other than the obvious quality of short performance)? What I mean is, is the cut-off line at a set # of performers, or strictly by score? Especially for the Olympics, I feel that all competitors should be able to fully compete, with both of their programs. After all, there are restrictions on how many and who can get into the competition to begin with, so why not let them all have the complete chance? I REALLY feel this way if only 2 teams in this case were eliminated! (I will admit that Ziegler/Severin are a favorite of mine:)). And yes, I know that there are eliminations in other sports here too; it just somehow seems more egregious in figure skating to me.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dorispulaski,

Do you know how these things are decided (other than the obvious quality of short performance)? What I mean is, is the cut-off line at a set # of performers, or strictly by score? Especially for the Olympics, I feel that all competitors should be able to fully compete, with both of their programs. After all, there are restrictions on how many and who can get into the competition to begin with, so why not let them all have the complete chance? I REALLY feel this way if only 2 teams in this case were eliminated! (I will admit that Ziegler/Severin are a favorite of mine:)). And yes, I know that there are eliminations in other sports here too; it just somehow seems more egregious in figure skating to me.

Four flights advance to the Free Programs.

So, for singles, it's 24 (4 x 6)
For dancers, it's 20 (4 x 5)
For pairs it's 16 (4 x 4)

I'm always especially sad when there are only one or two who don't get to skate their free programs.

Edit: The notable exception to this rule was in the Olympic Ladies event, where the 25th ranked short program skater advanced (provided Valieva made the cut), so that the skater wouldn't feel cheated out of the opportunity by an alleged drug cheat. This was announced in advance. I also recall a smaller competition years ago, where only one pair (maybe it was a dance team) didn't advance, and the organizers asked them to skate an exhibition during downtime between competitions. I thought that was nice.

Last edited:

YagsFan

On the Ice
Four flights advance to the Free Programs.

So, for singles, it's 24 (4 x 6)
For dancers, it's 20 (4 x 5)
For pairs it's 16 (4 x 4)

I'm always especially sad when there are only one or two who don't get to skate their free programs.

Edit: The notable exception to this rule was in the Olympic Ladies event, where the 25th ranked short program skater advanced (provided Valieva made the cut), so that the skater wouldn't feel cheated out of the opportunity by an alleged drug cheat. This was announced in advance. I also recall a smaller competition years ago, where only one pair (maybe it was a dance team) didn't advance, and the organizers asked them to skate an exhibition during downtime between competitions. I thought that was nice.
Thank you, TontoK, for answering. Wondering now why the # limits would be different for dancers vs. pairs . . . You agree that it is a sad outcome, especially when only "one or two" don't get to go on to the long program------so WHY does it have to be this way? Does anyone know for sure what the reasoning behind having these limits is? Like I said before, it's not like "making the Olympics" is some kind of open free-for-all, where anyone who wants to can compete, so why do they further limit who can fully compete?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Might be connected to something television wanted originally and they kept it, because it makes a time slot work.

Ganya

Rinkside
I have a question: in the Kiss & Cry after T/M's skate, Trankov was on (our) right of the pair; who was the man sitting on the left side? Thanks
That's Pavel Slyusarenko, a pretty successful junior pairs' coach from the Russian city of Perm. They have a really good skating school with long standing traditions there. Trankov himself is from the Perm school(it's his hometown, actually). Slyusarenko is pretty busy coaching quite a large number of young pairs (Luka Berulava and Karina Safina would be just one good example). Max previously mentioned his plans to invite Pavel to Moscow to help TM a bit - admitting still it might be hard to arrange due to Pavel's coaching load at home.
Anyway, Slyusarenko has been providing regular assistance to TM for maybe half a year now.

YagsFan

On the Ice
That's Pavel Slyusarenko, a pretty successful junior pairs' coach from the Russian city of Perm. They have a really good skating school with long standing traditions there. Trankov himself is from the Perm school(it's his hometown, actually). Slyusarenko is pretty busy coaching quite a large number of young pairs (Luka Berulava and Karina Safina would be just one good example). Max previously mentioned his plans to invite Pavel to Moscow to help TM a bit - admitting still it might be hard to arrange due to Pavel's coaching load at home.
Anyway, Slyusarenko has been providing regular assistance to TM for maybe half a year now.
Thank you very much for all the good info in answer to my question, Ganya:)

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Due to unforeseen circumstances I was without internet for the entirety of the pairs' free skate and the gala, so I'm rewatching the whole event now! I've got a mug of hot cocoa and some honorary Canadian citizenship at the ready. :giggle:

GROUP 1
ooh Belinda throwing shade on Evgeni Krasnopolski... we need to get a partner kill count running for him!
KEEGAN!
I like Rebecca's unitard. This music is... very Italian and very Eurovision though. A pretty clean skate to start off the event! Hopefully this bodes well.
Evgeni Krasnopolski and his 459th partner! blech Josh Groban I'd better mute before he gets ruined for me like Michael Buble. Ohhhh Haley honey please be the first of Krasnopolski's many partners to leave him before he leaves you... you have lots of potential ignore the SBS jump issues here and find some lonely Russian pair boy and convince him to skate for Israel. Or go to America you can surely find a good partner there.
skipping Hase/Seegert...don't feel like crying today except happy tears
M/MT! Not sure I like that weird jacket/shirt/vest thing Michael but Kirsten looks great. It wasn't a disaster and I admire Kirsten's ability to save even the wonkiest of throws. KEEGAN AND THE FLAG! He is literally the one Canadian superfan from Yuri on Ice :laugh: (also random sidenote but I really like Bruno as a coach he seems very nice and supportive but is also smart with strategy and playing to his skaters' strengths)
GROUP 2
This group is kinda weird now with the whole drama with Laura... I really hope it's a false positive like C/J had but no matter what it still sucks.
I'm not the biggest fan of J/R but that OUTFIT for Vanessa :love:. That pair spin was sloooow and a little wonky eeps. Also why do we skate to a song called Falling that's how you jinx yourself and yup there goes the flip :palmf: but KEEGAN how can you not love him?
I love this colour on Laura and Marco but now I can't get attached to this team :(. Marco is really fantastic though he has great flexibility and lines. WHY DO WE HAVE AN OVERHEAD SHOT OF THE LIFTS URGGHHHH. also that voiceover to end is a hardcore no.
It wouldn't be an Olympic event without some Moulin Rouge *sigh*. And with voiceovers too :dbana:. At least it's not Roxaaaaaane and I could listen to Ewan McGregor sing all day. but oi vey that was messy :(.
Here come the Georgians! I do love/hate me some In This Shirt! (it's a great song but kind of overused off topic but remember when Andrei M. skated to it in juniors?) eeps he just held on to that combo but her jumps are so PRETTY. Karina is just so good! Maybe not the strongest performers but their elements are really solid.

and groups 3/4 will be later, likely when I have the time to bawl my eyes out at all the great skates.