2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Free Skate

withwings

On the Ice
They won silver medal. How is that not a thing to celebrate?
I understood that Trankov meant himself as a coach to be ignored and laughed at and etc., he was not talking about T/M. Perhaps he already regrets the tweet... He was so emotional after T/M skated....its understandable. Why so much attention on one tweet??

Ganya

Rinkside
T/M had a lot of struggles since Mozer dumped them. Until Eteri took them in, they did not even have ice to train on. Not sure what Tutberidze's coaching has been for them other than providing the ice and resources but Trankov did a very good job getting them mentally prepared.
In fact, it is believed by many that TM improved their mental stability exactly due to the conducive climate created by Eteri. Also, TM always stress that she gave them a better understanding of what systematic and well-structured training is about, and more sense of discipline,too

NAOTMAA

Medalist
T/M had a lot of struggles since Mozer dumped them. Until Eteri took them in, they did not even have ice to train on. Not sure what Tutberidze's coaching has been for them other than providing the ice and resources but Trankov did a very good job getting them mentally prepared.
I think T/M struggled even before "Mozer dumped them." They become Russian #1 on the heals of the sudden demise of S/K. It was thrusted on them unexpectedly and they just weren't ready for it. They have been struggling ever since that moment even if it wasn't immediately apparent

pearly

Record Breaker
The team was always inconsistent head cases brilliant but always gave it away.

They came here and skated two beautiful programs. It was wonderful to see
I know all about their history, I’ve been following them since 2016 I think. But I don’t know what to make of Trankov’s post. Is it about him or about them? The wording’s just confusing. He’s there with their silver medal, taking about how they ignore you and fight you… I never got the impression TM have been ignored. Does he mean since Moskvina’s two pairs turned senior? Ignored by the RusFed or the international judges? Or is he talking about himsef?

Seruleane

Final Flight
I know all about their history, I’ve been following them since 2016 I think. But I don’t know what to make of Trankov’s post. Is it about him or about them? The wording’s just confusing. He’s there with their silver medal, taking about how they ignore you and fight you… I never got the impression TM have been ignored. Does he mean since Moskvina’s two pairs turned senior? Ignored by the RusFed or the international judges? Or is he talking about himsef?
I think it is about both Trankov and T/M? I only follow pairs very casually but I recall T/M really struggling for the past few years, not able to put together 2 clean programs, and I think they came into this Olympics as Russia’s #3 pair even though they are actually the veterans. Probably the Russian media has been quite critical of them and Trankov as a coach. Anyway it was wonderful to see it all come together for them today. I’m glad Trankov is thrilled about winning silver and not complaining about “losing gold.” That’s the right attitude.

Ganya

Rinkside
There might be quite a variety of things implied))) Self-centered as he is, I would expect Max to mean all those ironic remarks people had been making about him not being a real coach; being more preoccupied with Instagram posting, taking part in skating shows etc than actually working with TM.
But it might also have something to do with his disappointment with TM not selected to skate SP in the Team Event - they really wanted it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, I was surprised that some posters felt their PCS was too low. Honestly, I would have put them behind P/ J, K/F and M/K. They seemed slow and they weren't selling their music at all. I love Moskvina but not enough to think her two teams deserve the PCS they are getting. At least not yet....
Agreed. B/K's music just dragged on and on. I like Malaguena, but there was something about the way they skated this where I was like "is it over yet?" Love Dmitri's jumping on the rink boards though! At least he's enjoying himself! :laugh:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think T/M struggled even before "Mozer dumped them." They become Russian #1 on the heals of the sudden demise of S/K. It was thrusted on them unexpectedly and they just weren't ready for it. They have been struggling ever since that moment even if it wasn't immediately apparent

I think they already eclipsed S/K in the post Olympic season
when they won Europeans and were on the World and GPF podiums,
so not sure how unexpected it was.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The protocols look very fair to me. S/H got .65 for the 3sal and lost the PCS--even interpretation which is crazy. No one was robbed here. It was just close.

T/M losing the PCS on interpretation is indeed crazy. However, I will say they've performed BOTW better previously when they won Worlds.

The top skaters were splendid but if I'm being honest, none of them had that magic Olympic "moment" the way Savchenko/Massot did, and each team I think has performed better in the past even though they were showered with GOE/PCS (gotta love the Olympics). I wanted Sui to land that 3S so bad, and even though I'm SO glad it didn't cost them, it did feel a little unfulfilling.

Overall though, the results were fine. I'd have M/K ahead of SK/F, but both were still strong skates that arguably made me feel more than some of those who placed ahead of them, particularly B/K.

I'm guessing it's been pointed out already, but it is astonishing that Sui/Han ended up losing gold to Savchenko/Massot in 2018 by less than a point (0.43) even though Bruno doubled a salchow. And now with Sui having a doubled salchow (albeit a quad twist too!), Sui/Han end up winning gold by less than a point (0.63). :eek:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think they already eclipsed S/K in the post Olympic season
when they won Europeans and were on the World and GPF podiums,
so not sure how unexpected it was.
But the pressure would still have been on the side of S/K to carry Russia not T/M. The Russian fed. stubbornly still considered them #1 even if T/M technically were doing better (and very likely so did Mozer). T/M could just do their own thing without extra attention on them and I think they preferred that. After S/K were out T/M had to shoulder the pressure and spotlight all on their own. They become "Russia's sole great hope." Big difference then being just one of two possible medalist for the country

Axel Rose

On the Ice
I’m surprised at the reaction to T/M - beautiful lines, but I didn’t think it was a triumphant, clean skate. Clean for them, but hesitant landings. Sui/Han - beautiful skate, quite the squeaker as well with her mistake. M/G - clean, one short landing - wasn’t convinced T/M would be ahead of them, but there we go.

B/K - lost momentum. She always has this look of desperation and now I can’t see unsee the King Joffrey comparison. I also can’t unsee the disrespect to Moskvina at worlds last year.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I honestly think you're reading way too much into this. His pair didn't have ice to skate on, no one believed they could skate two clean programs in a competition, mental prep was a massive struggle, fed finally gave up on them and started supporting M/G as their no 1s, and when all was said and done, T/M came out on top. Plus they're probably like family to him at this point. So he's celebrating this silver medal as if it was gold for them.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching. This was an amazing event. This is the best free skate I’ve ever seen in pairs amongst the top 3 teams. They were all virtually in a tie. All within 1 point in the free skate. I really thought M/G were going to win after their clean skate and then T/M skated and I’ve never seen them better and knew if they were clean that they would jump to #1 and they delivered.

I thought there was no way the Chinese pair team would get gold and that they would have to settle for bronze. That quad twist was amazing and then when the 3S disaster occurred, I thought they just lost the gold medal. But, to me, they executed the rest of the elements really well and when I saw the TES score, I thought, wait a minute, they might be able to win. I don’t like their program compared to the short program. But, when they won, I was elated and did a fist pump. After reviewing the judges score, I’m so happy the difference was in them going for the quad twist. The quad twist should be worth more and technical advancement in Pairs needs to be rewarded. They took the risk and it paid off. Good job!

Last edited:

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Just finished watching the pairs free. There is nothing more satisfying than when competitors who have been in it for the long haul are finally rewarded. So happy for Sui and Han!!! And Tarasova and Morozov! I love a good comeback story. I got the same teary elation when Shen and Zhao won and when Savchenko and Massot won. What a great end to the competition!

Alexa Knierim, so proud of you, girl!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The results of this pairs event were certainly controversial to me and it’s the one figure skating result of these Games that I strongly disagree with. I would have awarded the gold to Tarasova/Morozov, the silver to Mishina/Galliamov and the bronze to Sui/Han. Congratulations to all the skaters though! :hap10:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I understood that Trankov meant himself as a coach to be ignored and laughed at and etc., he was not talking about T/M. Perhaps he already regrets the tweet... He was so emotional after T/M skated....its understandable. Why so much attention on one tweet??
LOL. That's kind of self-centred. It wasn't him who skated this time. He won in 2014 and got all the glory for it. Hope he doesn't take attention from T/M, because they deserve all the love ad respect, though I have no doubt he was important in their succes.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I'm a bit surprised that Vanessa and Eric are behind Kirsten and Mike (just barely). The latter's errors seemed more egregious to me - but perhaps the little issues added up for Vanessa and Eric.
I’m quite surprised as well. 117 seemed really low for that skate. I think the tech callers seem to be quite inconsistent. Nothing new.