2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Free Skate | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Free Skate

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And we will "woulda coulda shoulda" (using all three:)), just like every other fan on the planet...

And some of us fans on the planet will take issue when we perceive that "woulda coulda shoulda" is crossing a line into disrespect for a different skater.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Going back and re-watching some skating this evening - random question. Am I losing my mind or did Shoma change his costumes between the Olympics and Worlds? Anyone know why? Both Olys costumes were stunning (and the Bolero at Worlds didn't seem to fit him at all?)

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going back and re-watching some skating this evening - random question. Am I losing my mind or did Shoma change his costumes between the Olympics and Worlds? Anyone know why? Both Olys costumes were stunning (and the Bolero at Worlds didn't seem to fit him at all?)
You didn't lose your mind-- those were indeed different costumes. The Olympics costume was black and gold, while the Worlds costume was blue, blue-green, and gold. The Worlds costume was actually also used during preseason ice shows, which may explain the loose fit. As for why? There's no official explanation yet that I'm aware of, but I hope he answers this burning question soon. 😆 I'm guessing it was perhaps to differentiate himself from Yuma?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
You didn't lose your mind-- those were indeed different costumes. The Olympics costume was black and gold, while the Worlds costume was blue, blue-green, and gold. The Worlds costume was actually also used during preseason ice shows, which may explain the loose fit. As for why? There's no official explanation yet that I'm aware of, but I hope he answers this burning question soon. 😆 I'm guessing it was perhaps to differentiate himself from Yuma?

It definitely helped as Shoma and Yuma kinda look like brothers to me!

YagsFan

On the Ice
Fans can always mourn. :laugh:We ( speaking for the fans I know) support Jason and his choices. And we will "woulda coulda shoulda" (using all three:)), just like every other fan on the planet, while accepting those choices.

Personally, for me as a Jason fan, nothing could surpass the perfection of those Olympic programs, and he has nothing to prove, his legacy goes far beyond medals. So I am content with his choice, other than missing the chance to see him skate again.:cry:

But as I have said multiple times, and I say again, the results of the comp you skate are the results. Shoma,🥇 Yuma 🥈and Vincent🥉, no questions.
Just had to chime in at ya, el henry (good to see you in an actual "skating" thread, too!). I am a super, super Jason Brown fan, and am glad to see you are too:) Anyway, I agree whole-heartedly with your 2nd paragraph here. And although I've never been too enthusiastic about Vincent's skating, I was and am VERY happy that he won his medal here; after what he went through at the Olympics, I'm so glad he pulled through at Worlds. Really shows his grit, determination and heart:cheer2: Also have to say that I've loved Shoma for years, so so very happy for him, too!

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It definitely helped as Shoma and Yuma kinda look like brothers to me!
I've never thought about them in that way before, but it’s kind of cute to think about them as being brothers from another mother, tee hee. :biggrin:They're definitely friends off the ice, so maybe their friendliness plays into that perception? (Though their small stature probably plays into it more).

I do think that their differences shine more than their similarities, particularly when it comes to their skating.

Shoma's got speed, skating skills, focus, charisma, and intensity. These factors combined into an inferno that threatened to burn down the entire Sud de France arena but thankfully spared the life of this fangirl. :bow: I'm truly glad to have been there and seen that.

Yuma sadly pales in comparison to Shoma, though I'm not disappointed enough in seeing him live for the first time to want to change my username. He has the speed and skating skills, but doesn't quite have the charisma yet. He does turn it on a little more when he performs, but this deficiency was particularly evident in practice sessions. I still think he can find his own style and do wonderful things with a little time and effort. He might not become an inferno, but I certainly think he could at least become a waterfall, lol. 😆 (I also have to say I was particularly shocked by that popped axel!)