2023 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy Women's Short Program

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sorry, just saw this. No, I don’t. I know the names, but I’m not sure who they are. So, I know the name Anastasia Gubanova, but I had never seen her skate (at least this year), don't know her on sight, and didn't know her programs. So "red catsuit lady" :) I know more about the Americans because living in the US it is easier to learn their names or see their photos randomly.

I will however happily watch every mens skater, and junior mens skater at any particular comp, and I recognize almost all the senior men and the majority of the juniors.:)

This will probably be it for ladies', although Mai is the only one who really captured me, and I would watch her again.
Hmmpf...only watching men. You dirty girl you. :ROFLMAO:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Lindsay's positions are just to die for! Wow. I love what Sandra Bezic did with the choreo. This is the first time I've really seen Lindsay as a senior skater.
I'm usually not a big fan of US skaters, I find them a bit plastic cheesy. But I LOVE Lindsay! She's my fave American since Sasha Cohen. When she and Isabeau came on the scene a couple of years ago, I always thought that Lindsay was the one to watch out for. That hasn't been the case, Isabeau has strangely been hyped as the American no 1, and I just can't understand it. To each his own I guess. Go Lindsay! Just hold it together in the free. This is a new situation for her to be in the lead.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Haein and yelim, both of whom I love, remind me so much of each other. Both lose precious points in spins due to speed and positioning ( and the insane rules for flexibility) , both have artistry, both use warhorses but are willing to sometimes step out of that box, both have great packaging, both have potential to be #1.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'm usually not a big fan of US skaters, I find them a bit plastic cheesy. But I LOVE Lindsay! She's my fave American since Sasha Cohen. When she and Isabeau came on the scene a couple of years ago, I always thought that Lindsay was the one to watch out for. That hasn't been the case, Isabeau has strangely been hyped as the American no 1, and I just can't understand it. To each his own I guess. Go Lindsay! Just hold it together in the free. This is a new situation for her to be in the lead.
I think Lindsay has more staying power than Isabeau. Lindsay does look terrified at certain times so I worry she'll break under pressure or stress, but once Lindsay gets a new jump coach and rotates, I hope she gets more attention.

midori green

On the Ice
I'm happy Lindsay didn't have the hype when she and Isabeau moved to senior. I hoped she would be able to work through growth spurts under the radar. We shall see!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I think Lindsay has more staying power than Isabeau. Lindsay does look terrified at certain times so I worry she'll break under pressure or stress, but once Lindsay gets a new jump coach and rotates, I hope she gets more attention.
Yes she looks terrified at times. When I started watching figure skating in the mid 90s, I followed Butyrskaya, and Lindsay has the exact same nervous vibe. But Butyrskaya conquered in the end, and after a few nervous seasons she became the world champion.
Maybe it's a good thing that Lindsay is the underdog behind Isabeau. Butyrskaya had the same situation being behind Slutskaya, and we all know Shcherbakova was always behind Trusova....

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The scores are just veeery low here. And the PCS don't have that much to do with what was on the ice.
There are a lot of underrotations here too and the finesse/speed isn't here. Also, we have a fair amount of good skating but there is no real outstanding superstar for either just jumps, artistry or both. Some good maybe very good skaters/skating but not magnificient out of the world artistry like Kwan, Cohen or Ultra C elements.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Isabeau has the consistency and the power. Sadly she is like astring of US champs Polina, Rachel, Ashley, Alyssa,, Kimmie maybe add Lindsey and Amber too. Good skaters but nothing super special. Ashley maybe had a bit of personality. But not super special. Unlike Gracie who maybe didn't fully bloom, Michelle and Sasha and Czisny who didn't have thejumps but whose artistry and spins transcended mediocrity. We expected great things from Lindsey's short and she finally delivered; lets see if she can keep it up.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Isabeau has the consistency and the power. Sadly she is like astring of US champs Polina, Rachel, Ashley, Alyssa,, Kimmie maybe add Lindsey and Amber too. Good skaters but nothing super special. Ashley maybe had a bit of personality. But not super special. Unlike Gracie who maybe didn't fully bloom, Michelle and Sasha and Czisny who didn't have thejumps but whose artistry and spins transcended mediocrity. We expected great things from Lindsey's short and she finally delivered; lets see if she can keep it up.
I was pretty sure that Isabeau would lose her jumps this season. She has this strange awkward technique that just isn't good in my eyes. But I was wrong, she has been consistent so far. So what do I know. But I remember when I saw these two enter the JGP I was wowed by Lindsay, she also had a 3A in her arsenal! Lindsay might have lost that 3A for now during her growth, but I'm thinking Tuktamysheva here, she also had the 3A in her youth but lost it, then regained it when she was fully grown.

Demandred

On the Ice
It feels a bit weird to see Lindsay, who so often gets dinged with UR calls, to be the only woman here who managed to avoid this under a very strict tech panel. I am happy for her, she is very talented and her short program this year is one of the best choreorgaphically. Hopefully she won't bomb tomorrow.

icewhite

Record Breaker
There are a lot of underrotations here too and the finesse/speed isn't here. Also, we have a fair amount of good skating but there is no real outstanding superstar for either just jumps, artistry or both. Some good maybe very good skaters/skating but not magnificient out of the world artistry like Kwan, Cohen or Ultra C elements.

Underrotations have nothing to do with PCS. And there's enough good skating. I'm not saying it's the best possible (it isn't), but I would have gone into the 8s for some skaters here. You don't need to be Michelle Kwan for 8s. Ultra c elements should not bring extremely good PCS, since it's just... another aspect of skating. The only thing on the technical side that should really affect PCS are falls and other mistakes which make the program messy for a viewer who looks like at the whole.

Basically I see your post at yet another attempt to talk down skaters who are not world beaters, but pretty da** good.

. You don't need to be Michelle Kwan for 8s.
I know, right? Sometimes it seems like us greedy fans blame the skaters: "How dare you pretend to be an ice skater when you're not as good as Michelle Kwan or Sonja Henie. Get off the ice. and stop boring me." :laugh:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I know, right? Sometimes it seems like us greedy fans blame the skaters: "How dare you pretend to be an ice skater when you're not as good as Michelle Kwan or Sonja Henie. Get off the ice. and stop boring me." :laugh:
Michelle Kwan was good? :unsure:

Michelle Kwan was good? :unsure:
Skater Boy's post was about the curent crop of U.S. ladies not having a captivating on-ice presence or "personality." Michelle Kwan did.

Anyway, my point was that sometimes fans seem to be saying to the skaters, "You fell just to annoy ME. Stop doing it!"

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched LIndsay's skate again, twice, and I don't think she should have gotten a time deduction. It's like the controller thought the music had stopped when it hadn't. It looked to me like she stopped either right on the music or a nano-second afterwards. If the latter, is that enough to give someone a time deduction?

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I watched LIndsay's skate again, twice, and I don't think she should have gotten a time deduction. It's like the controller thought the music had stopped when it hadn't. It looked to me like she stopped either right on the music or a nano-second afterwards. If the latter, is that enough to give someone a time deduction?
I seem to recall that Demougeot and Lemercier getting a deduction at Cup of China because their music was a few thousandths of a second over the ten second leeway they're allowed on the time (they hadn't been called on it in earlier competitions because they'd altered their music). Could it have been that?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seem to recall that Demougeot and Lemercier getting a deduction at Cup of China because their music was a few thousandths of a second over the ten second leeway they're allowed on the time (they hadn't been called on it in earlier competitions because they'd altered their music). Could it have been that?
Is there a 10 second leeway? If so, Lindsay shouldn't have gotten any time deductions.