2023 Philadelphia Summer Championships | Aug 3-6 | Golden Skate

2023 Philadelphia Summer Championships | Aug 3-6

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s cancelled.
What is canceled?

The entire competition? The Saturday portion? Do you have a link to show it is canceled, or can you tell us how you learned that? Thanks.

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
What a bummer! Seems it might be true. I can't find the competition listed in the EMS portion of the USFS Members Only website, which is where one would go to register or get information on the competition :cry: However, it is still listed on the Ice Works website.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The summer comp? The International is not happening, per whoever I got ahold of on the phone finally, after calling and asking for 2 weeks. They said there was not enough interest or enough money????? I tell you, the website is close to impossible to navigate. The negotiated rates with hotels (for the club comp) are not up yet and I think the comp is next week. The International was great and organized fine, but they need help with their website, advertising and etc.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The summer comp? The International is not happening, per whoever I got ahold of on the phone finally, after calling and asking for 2 weeks. They said there was not enough interest or enough money????? I tell you, the website is close to impossible to navigate. The negotiated rates with hotels (for the club comp) are not up yet and I think the comp is next week. The International was great and organized fine, but they need help with their website, advertising and etc.

I suspect the International is not happening because it is not an NQS event (this year) and because Cranberry attracts the skaters who in the past attended the Philly International, so the entries were minimal. I don't know if that would affect the "clu"b comp.

IceWorks website is clunky as heck, and I know they don't care about spectators (as in that's not how they make their money) but updates on the website could not be *that* hard to do, and might generate goodwill.

Oh well :( Next year they are an NQS and will probably get entries.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I suspect the International is not happening because it is not an NQS event (this year) and because Cranberry attracts the skaters who in the past attended the Philly International, so the entries were minimal. …

We can only hope that Philly gets the lineup that Cranberry Cup is getting this year. Roman Sadovsky! Joe Klein! If so, I’m all in.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suspect the International is not happening because it is not an NQS event (this year) and because Cranberry attracts the skaters who in the past attended the Philly International, so the entries were minimal. I don't know if that would affect the "clu"b comp.

IceWorks website is clunky as heck, and I know they don't care about spectators (as in that's not how they make their money) but updates on the website could not be *that* hard to do, and might generate goodwill.

I thought for the women they attracted many good skaters last year, including Isobel and Gracie. The entire Israeli team minus Mark G was there. Cranberry did not, IIRC, attract many skaters last year because the International Classic was happening in the US. I do wish they'd think more of the spectators, and publish entry lists sooner, because I'm not sure there is ever a way I can go to both, I have to pick. Especially publish the freaking negotiated rates on hotels. I'm a poor woman.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought for the women they attracted many good skaters last year, including Isobel and Gracie. The entire Israeli team minus Mark G was there. Cranberry did not, IIRC, attract many skaters last year because the International Classic was happening in the US. I do wish they'd think more of the spectators, and publish entry lists sooner, because I'm not sure there is ever a way I can go to both, I have to pick. Especially publish the freaking negotiated rates on hotels. I'm a poor woman.

It really is a shame they don't make it more spectator friendly. I remember when Entry Eze. (?) was public, looking at the list of coaches and trying to guess the skaters.:cautious:

That is great that they attracted women last year, some of the top women train in the area: Isabeau and Lindsay are across the river in South Jersey, of course Gracie trains at that rink and many of the Israelis train in Tel Aviv, New Jersey, a.k.a. the Ice House. They would be natural participants, one would think, but maybe not enough of a base to stage the competition. I have no idea of the economics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It really is a shame they don't make it more spectator friendly. I remember when Entry Eze. (?) was public, looking at the list of coaches and trying to guess the skaters.:cautious:

That is great that they attracted women last year, some of the top women train in the area: Isabeau and Lindsay are across the river in South Jersey, of course Gracie trains at that rink and many of the Israelis train in Tel Aviv, New Jersey, a.k.a. the Ice House. They would be natural participants, one would think, but maybe not enough of a base to stage the competition. I have no idea of the economics.
How do you tell when it will and won't be an NQS? It wasn't an NQS last year was it?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you tell when it will and won't be an NQS? It wasn't an NQS last year was it?

USFS posts a list, not that their website is the easiest to navigate either. :( I don't remember about last year. Of course, the Israeli team doesn't care about NQS. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
The website is not set up with spectators in mind. Its hard enough for members to negotiate.

The number of spectators interested in NQS events is probably lower than the number of participants at all levels.

Scroll to 2023-24 National Qualifying Series (NQS) and click on Approved Competitions for this year's list.

I know that next year's NQS events were awarded at the same time, but I'm not sure where to find the announcement.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Thorngren trains in Hackensack.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I left a phone message to Ice Works & a private Facebook message. Yesterday afternoon, someone from Ice Works responded to my private Facebook message, confirming that the competition has been cancelled for this year. If I remember the contents of that message accurately, the plan is for the competition to return there next summer.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I left a phone message to Ice Works & a private Facebook message. Yesterday afternoon, someone from Ice Works responded to my private Facebook message, confirming that the competition has been cancelled for this year. If I remember the contents of that message accurately, the plan is for the competition to return there next summer.
Thank you. I would fix their website in return for lessons from Gracie.....when she's not competing that is. I couldn't even find the phone number without Google.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The number of spectators interested in NQS events is probably lower than the number of participants at all levels.

How would one change that?

Scroll to 2023-24 National Qualifying Series (NQS) and click on Approved Competitions for this year's list.

I know that next year's NQS events were awarded at the same time, but I'm not sure where to find the announcement.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Maybe if they had more spectators they would make more money.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe if they had more spectators they would make more money.

True, but the $20 per spectator pales in comparison to entry fees. Gracie (or Jason for that matter) isn't going to do it, they would need Yuzuru and Nathan.

In which case they could charge more:biggrin: