2023 US Nationals: Pairs | Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 US Nationals: Pairs | Thoughts

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me, the highlights of the pairs event were Emily Chan and Spencer Akira Howe's free skate, and their SP. I don't think all pairs need to have a romantic focus, and I don't necessarily think Emily and Spencer do, every time. But they ARE focused on giving performances that reach out and touch audiences, and connect with their music and audiences (live and video) on an emotional level. Every time they skate, one or both of them speaks of the importance of giving viewers something on a heart to heart level.

I remember something Alexa said in an interview, that one motivator for her for skating this year was to find out what being World Champions would do for their confidence level. I really hope she eventually tells us. To me, watching them, it's been a boost to their confidence and also added pressure. I wish they weren't overscored so much, but it's nothing that doesn't happen in pretty much every federation. It's a reminder that everything in figure skating is subjective, including how the technique is scored. It bothers me when there's positive GOE on throw jumps when Alexa puts a hand down; but I know that it's because their throws score so high on the other qualities of the element. It's just another thing that puts a distance between regular audiences' enjoyment of events and the results, which can be confusing or downright off-putting, and seem unfair, if not intentionally so.

I always look at my own behavior afterwards: Chan and Howe's❤️ skates were the ones I went back to view again and again. They just make me happy. :love2: :bsplit: :love2:

My quote function isn't working at the moment, but I liked the quote in the article from Chan.
The ones I want to go back and watch are Ellie and Danny!!!! And Ellie and Timmy!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ones I want to go back and watch are Ellie and Danny!!!! And Ellie and Timmy!
I hope you got to do that while the replays were open. That is, if you're like me .... I really enjoy watching my favorite skaters and programs over and over and over.

Actually, one of the things I love about these threads where @gsk8 invites us to give our thoughts about a competition, is that people will say whose skates they liked the most, and why. I enjoy reading other peoples' thoughts almost as much as expressing my own.

And on that note ... I forgot to say in my earlier post that I was very impressed with Emily and Spencer's change in attitude and intensity in the middle of their Ghost free skate, along with the change in attitude and intensity of the music. From their pairs spin on, the program, their skating, and their emotion gained attitude, keenness, and zeal. For a nice strong finish.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
David Santee…whew one of the people I follow on Twitter who’s very into US pairs is big mad about it. She keeps (very dismissively) calling the job a “Parks and Rec Job” and David Santee a “Parks and Rec Coach.” Excuse me ma’am…David Santee is an Olympian and World Medalist. A lot more than a “Parks and Rec Coach.”
Goodness, yes. My mom and I were huge David Santee fans when I was young -- we really preferred him over Scott Hamilton (gasp!).