A perfect program | Golden Skate

A perfect program

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
While watching the Russian Cup my partner asked me an interesting question: "Have you ever seen a perfect program?" What he meant by it was not just a great performance without falls, but being "perfect" also from a technical standpoint.

First to pop into my mind was Alena Kostornaia's SP in last Russian Nationals. Technically the most that is allowed in a SP, best 3A I've ever seen, together with great presentation, music and dress.

Which programs/performances do you think of as being perfect?

readernick

Medalist
Not perfect (such a thing doesn't exist imho), but perfect to me:

2014 Olympics Mao Asada LP, it wasn't "perfect" but it was stunning and emotional. I watch it again and again

2014 SP Carolina Kostner

2015 GPF Yuzuru Hanyu both programs

2018 NHK LP Rika Kihira my favorite LP of this quad

2019 Russian Nationals Alena K. my favorite SP of this quad.

2019 Worlds LP Sui/Han

2018 Olympics LP S/M

2016/2017 Prince RD by V/M (almost every performance)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the closest I've seen to perfect from both a technical and a performance consideration at the same time was P/C's Moonlight Sonata free dance at the 2018 Olympics.

Carolina Kostner's Ne Me Quitte Pas SP at Worlds 2018 was awfully close too.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
2018 OG Alina’s SP. I remember how I was completely in awe, that every single second had a thought, a dedicated move, that is not only matching to the program idea and music, but was also executed perfectly.
Aliona’s 2019 RusNats SP. Best 3A in the whole world, the elegance and beauty of every movement - simply unreal.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me it's about emotion, whether I rewatch it a lot or really remember it.

Evgenia her 2017 WTT LP, every movement was so detailed.
Evgenia 2016 Worlds FP, just my favorite program.

Jason Brown , Riverdance. It was my first program I rewatched on YouTube

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Savchenko/Massot 2018 Olympics FS "La Terre Vue du Ciel"

Javier Fernandez 2016 Worlds FS "Guys and Dolls"

Ashley Wagner 2016 Worlds FS "Moulin Rouge"

Adam Rippon 2016 Worlds FS "Beatles Medley"

Jason Brown 2014 US Nationals FS "Riverdance"

Mao Asada 2014 Olympics FS "Piano Concerto #2"

Yuzuru Hanyu 2014 Olympics SP "Parisienne Walkways"

Mariah Bell 2020 US Nationals FS "Hallelujah"

Chock/Bates 2019 Nationals FD "Elvis" and 2020 Nationals FD "Snake"

Nathan Chen 2017 Rostelecom Cup SP "Nemesis" and 2019 Nationals FS "Land of All"

Manta/Johnson 2019 US Nationals FD "Sweet Dreams"

Cain/Leduc 2018 US Nationals FS "Great Gatsby" and 2019 US Nationals FS "W.E."

Rika Kihira 2018 NHK FS "A Beautiful Storm"

Hawayek/Baker 2020 Nationals RD "Stayin' Alive"

ETA: Sui/Han 2019 Worlds FS "Rain In Your Black Eyes"

James/Cipres 2018-19 Grand Prix Final and 2019 Europeans FS, "Wicked Game"

These performances combine athleticism and emotion in a way that transports audiences (live and virtual) to another reality. Maybe to a whole other plane of existence. That's a perfect figure skating program to me. Someone has said, "You're not perfect. You're better than perfect; You're human." I'd add, humans connect with one another.

Last edited:

Idiote

On the Ice
I don't know about perfect (is that concept even still a thing ?) and I won't pretend I know that much about figure skating, but it is an interesting question !

Though personally I do distinct a perfect program and a perfect performance - the two can combine obviously, but I would tend to enjoy a lot more a program which has a unique packaging (music, choreo, costume) with a "regular" technical content than a program with amazing ultra-si elements but where I don't connect as much to the story and/or the music. That's actually the reason why I wouldn't say Alena K's programs are "perfect" to me even though she skates beautifully. Can't wait to see her new programs in competition though :)

so I guess my top 3 "perfect" programs would be :

- 2018 Worlds - Wakaba Higuchi's Skyfall 💜
really the most powerful, modern, artistic James Bond program and performance ever for me, even better than Yuna Kim's 2010 SP imo

- 2019 GPF - Kevin Aymoz's A Question of U
first time I ever saw Kevin skate, and I was completely mindblown by this fellow frenchie ! the choreo is superb, his moves are so delicate and well he just had the skate of his life this time :)

- 2014 Olympics Team Event - Yulia Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List
well it is just this performance and this program that drew me to figure skating, so ^^' even though there are little flaws here and there, Yulia's presence and charisma, the overall performance and packaging is just the absolute best and only way to skate to Schindler's List (Jason Brown coming close behind but still). Though my favorite performance from her is her 2016 RusNats SP. The joy and emotions she exudes and the end gets me every time.

a few other programs I adore, but can't name a specific performance :
- Anna Shcherbakova's Perfume (looove the book so much, the choice was very original and the mood of the music suited her style so well)
- Philippe Candeloro's D'Artagnan (i don't really like Candeloro himself but must admit he was hell of a performer)
- Rika Kihira's Breakfast in Baghdad (great choreo and bold choice of music)
- Sasha Trusova's Kill Bill (explosive, badass and fun, just like her)
- Sui/Han' Rain in your Black Eyes

I agree with the previous posters that perfection is not so much about technicality and athleticism than emotion. That's what makes this sport so amazing to watch :)

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Medalist
The perfect SP should have a perfect BV.
The best possible ladies SP should include 3Ax/3Lo//3Lz3F combo.
I believe only Trusova may think to try...

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
For me, both of Virtue/Moir's Olympic performances were pure perfection. The SD TES alone was a WR and their non-touch midline step sequence was incredible. Everything about that programme was immaculate from the costumes to the music choices.
And for Moulin Rouge, for me it was a combination of everything coming together. Technically excellent and yet they performed with so much passion, energy, they gave 110% to that performance. Combining that with their narrative, the atmosphere from skating last, the roar of the audience, the chills on those fistpumps on "roxanne". Honestly I have rewatched that performance so many times, it is the definition of an olympic moment.
I will also give a shout out to their 2017 Prince SD at Worlds which was another perfect performance in my view.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Hanyus 2017 world's LP was perfect. Everything clean with +GOE. Moved me emotionally. Level 4 everything. Didn't have the best SP though.
Javier fernandez on the other hand had a perfect SP. amazing performance , +GOE on everything and maxed levels. Not a good FS though.

Ironically look at 2016.
Javier fernandez had a perfect FS combined with a SP with mistakes.
Hanyu had a perfect SP with a FS with mistakes.

All 4 of these perfect performances were to die for. I was just mesmerized by them all.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Evgenia Medvedeva 2017 WTT

Just perfect. This performance being the WR holder in the previous scoring system, and the ONLY 160+ ladies program in the previous scoring system just makes sense. It’s the epitome of the previous IJS era. I feel like it’s the blueprint for so much of what we see from young ladies these days. It’s so stunning, just perfect.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
From the last quad I would really only say Sui/Han Blues for Klook at 2017 Worlds, and Papadakis/Cizeron 2016 Worlds FD.

This quad, I think Sui/Han had a nice LP, but never perfect.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzu has three that come straight to mind: Chopin and Seimei at GPF 2015, and Hope and Legacy at Worlds 2017. Perfect both athletically and artistically.

His NHK 2015 come close, as does the Olympic Chopin and Parisian Walkways.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know I sound like a broken record however, Maria Butyrskaya's 7 Triple LP in 1999 still holds up as one of the best programs ever.
I'm going to sound like even more of a broken record because I will always say Plushy's 2004 Russian Nats Nijinsky. It's the most stunning skating I've ever seen.