Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko

Momtoiceprincess

Rinkside
My 2 cents, I think Eteri's going to return on fire & do all in her power for Kamila, Anna & Aliona to take the Olympic spots. There is also Darya to consider.

I think it's a weak judgement from a girl who wants to be a top champion to jump ship when the going gets tough. Either her or her parents. Plushenko is not a heavy weight coach.

How will she cope not being surrounded by greatness. In a group where most girls are successfully landing quads it's motivating. One needs to fight for ranking & attention. Sasha is competive, how will she cope not comparing herself to her competion daily? Alot it champions thrive in Eteri's type of environment.

I think she made a bad decision, time will tell but I do believe Eteri will really up the bar to prevent Sasha excelling.....

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The 3A seems like it may be too challenging for her personally since we really have not seen that many successful attempts.

Maybe so, but if she focused less on variety and more on mastering the elements she's going to do, it would be a more consistent jump for her. I remember seeing one 3A attempt from a few years ago and, even back then, she was close to landing it. If she dropped the 4F and 4S and gained the 3A, she'd place higher in the SP and probably do better in the LP since she hasn't been clean with her layout last season.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
My 2 cents, I think Eteri's going to return on fire & do all in her power for Kamila, Anna & Aliona to take the Olympic spots. There is also Darya to consider.

I think it's a weak judgement from a girl who wants to be a top champion to jump ship when the going gets tough. Either her or her parents. Plushenko is not a heavy weight coach.

How will she cope not being surrounded by greatness. In a group where most girls are successfully landing quads it's motivating. One needs to fight for ranking & attention. Sasha is competive, how will she cope not comparing herself to her competion daily? Alot it champions thrive in Eteri's type of environment.

I think she made a bad decision, time will tell but I do believe Eteri will really up the bar to prevent Sasha excelling.....

I also think it’s the wrong decision but time will tell. Sure, she will feel more relax not facing the other skaters but is it the best thing ? There’s always someone who is stronger than you.

Fried

Final Flight
I also think it’s the wrong decision but time will tell. Sure, she will feel more relax not facing the other skaters but is it the best thing ? There’s always someone who is stronger than you.

Where does the assumption come from that Sasha can't stand having the competition around? As far as I understand it, she was of the opinion that she and her training needs are not addressed individually enough.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think it all depends on the new team's approach.

If they nurture Trusova, giving her all the best attentions and building a prepared stable environment, i think they can make this successful. Plushenko is not a heavy weight coach but he has been Olympic Champion, he lived the days when he was behind Yagudin, he knows how it feels to be in Trusova's clothes.

Plus Rozanov knows everything about how Tutberidze's team work, what they'll do going forward, so they have a very clear idea on how their main rivals will move.

What they need to avoid is pretty much what we saw in these years at the Academy, with coaches that come and go, Plushenko always on tour,... and yes that could have worked before given the relatively low status of their athletes but with Trusova it's a completely different story.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Where does the assumption come from that Sasha can't stand having the competition around? As far as I understand it, she was of the opinion that she and her training needs are not addressed individually enough.

I don’t think it’s about not having competition around, she just needed a change of her environment and people are just guessing what might have caused her decision. None of us can tell for sure until Sasha speaks.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since there have been two attempts to leave TT before and this could be averted through conversation, from a pedagogical point of view I find it completely inappropriate to call Sasha (who is a minor) after her father (as the legal representative) has ended the collaboration. And then to emphasize in the interview that Sasha didn't answer the phone is basically a cheek.

Given that she apparently wanted to leave twice before and they seem to have talked her round, even a nonfan such as me doesn't blame her for not wanting to go through that again. What was there that probably hadn't already been said?

sparklestan

On the Ice
Does anyone know if/when Sasha plans to make a statement? Now that it’s the weekend I would assume Monday would be the earliest possibility.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

We have no way of knowing what the training situation was like for Sasha at Sambo 70. We do know the three top skaters last season were all training at the same place. That is not a great situation. Maybe she needs a coach who will devote more attention to her and be more behind her winning. How can a coach of 3 who are all potential winners do that? Leaving doesn’t mean the end for Sasha. Remember when Marina Zueva was coaching 3 of the top ice dancing teams? Virtue and Moir left after Marina seemed to have favored Davis and White for the OGM. And the next time around, Virtue and Moir won.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
She was training too many different jumps last year. I believe that, with the exception of the 4Lo, she attempted every triple and quad jump through the 4Lz last season (plus tough combinations like 3Lz-3Lo and 4T-3S). I think if she trained one or two quads, plus the 3A, she'd have far more consistency on those elements.

But training all those different quads and the 3A seems to fit in with her own personal ambitions. And it looked like her coaches appeased her (and they were wrong to do so), trying to make her dream goals come true. Otherwise why was she the only skater in the Eteri stable like that? You didn't see any other Eteri skater as quad crazy as Aleksandra. They all seem to specialize in certain quads or a 3A. They don't have, or attempting, all of it as Aleksandra is trying to do.

To me this coaching move looks like its all about the jumps (I hope she doesn't neglect the PCS, spins and GOE because she can't afford to fall further behind Alena and Anna then she already is in those areas). She's going to a coach who was in his time called "the quad king." Although even he never went as far as she is trying I would bet his ego is thrilled at the prospect of being the one who can make it happen for someone. So I don't see her training only one or two quads and the 3A. It looks like she's going full force on trying to get all the quads and the 3A. I hope her new team has the common sense to reign her in if necessary because she really risks killing her body before she even hits 20.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Maybe she was getting attention, but not on what she thought she needed. Or do you guys honestly think that Daniil’s choreography was helping her improve in PCS? And I also don’t see skaters improving their skating skills at Sambo70. Kostornaia had those skating skills from before Eteri. The novices trained by Rozanov, on the other hand, have way better skating skills than Anna and Sasha, for example. So, I honestly think if Sasha receives attention on componentes (considering Pluschenko’s interview, they’re both aware she has to work on it) and gets better choreography, this might be awesome actually.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I’m not one for doomin’ and gloomin’ but I very honestly can’t see anything good coming from Trusova’s switching coaches. For one, Trusova did not have a bad season. Some of y’all are way off base by saying that. She medalled in every competition; that’s a very good season. She’s disappointed that her medals aren’t gold, but it was an unrealistic expectation that all her medals would be gold in the first place. Next season will be even harder. What’s she going to do then? Switch coaches again?

The reasons why she was losing to her compatriots are a) lower component scores in comparison to the other heavy hitters; b) Trying to increase her technical well before it’s ready.

I think A will continue to be an issue. Trusova was going for three quads at the beginning of the season but increased the number. Why? Because of the realization that three quads wouldn’t be enough to beat a clean Scherbakova, Kostornaia or Kihira. That will not change unless she’s more consistent with her quads next season and that’s a big if. Not having a 3A is a handicap for HER (Scherbakova’s doing just fine without one) because of her lower components, planned falls in the free skate, and Kostornaia and Kihira’s consistency with the jump in the SP.

If she can get a stable 3A and 3 stable quads, great. Under Tutberitze and co., she was making solid efforts on the second mark. I’m thinking she’ll abandon that next season and that will prove to be a mistake as she won’t be the only one improving her tech and consistency and she’s already at a deficit. If that’s the case, her position won’t change and she’ll still be in the same boat.

....but we’ll see.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Top three skaters in the world were training at the same rink. They won everything
Female athletes from the club were dominating the sport for years
And some people are trying to say that it is not a good thing for a skater to train in such environment

Gabby30

On the Ice
Top three skaters in the world were training at the same rink. They won everything
Female athletes from the club were dominating the sport for years
And some people are trying to say that it is not a good thing for a skater to train in such environment

Not every skater likes to train in such environment.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I’m not one for doomin’ and gloomin’ but I very honestly can’t see anything good coming from Trusova’s switching coaches. For one, Trusova did not have a bad season. Some of y’all are way off base by saying that. She medalled in every competition; that’s a very good season. She’s disappointed that her medals aren’t gold, but it was an unrealistic expectation that all her medals would be gold in the first place. Next season will be even harder. What’s she going to do then? Switch coaches again?

The reasons why she was losing to her compatriots are a) lower component scores in comparison to the other heavy hitters; b) Trying to increase her technical well before it’s ready.

I think A will continue to be an issue. Trusova was going for three quads at the beginning of the season but increased the number. Why? Because of the realization that three quads wouldn’t be enough to beat a clean Scherbakova, Kostornaia or Kihira. That will not change unless she’s more consistent with her quads next season and that’s a big if. Not having a 3A is a handicap for HER (Scherbakova’s doing just fine without one) because of her lower components, planned falls in the free skate, and Kostornaia and Kihira’s consistency with the jump in the SP.

If she can get a stable 3A and 3 stable quads, great. Under Tutberitze and co., she was making solid efforts on the second mark. I’m thinking she’ll abandon that next season and that will prove to be a mistake as she won’t be the only one improving her tech and consistency and she’s already at a deficit. If that’s the case, her position won’t change and she’ll still be in the same boat.

....but we’ll see.

At the beginning of the season it truly looked like she was making an honest attempt at improving her spins and performing her choreography. But in the second half she seem to completely abandon any attempt at musical interpretation and went all jump crazy. Jumps became her sole focus and as a result of trying to force them to happen only led to failure and falling further behind Alena and Alena which frustrated her even more.

She seems to believe its all in the jumps and that's what will get her gold (a very Plushenko way of thinking if you think about it). Never mind the fact that, as you said, Anna is doing perfectly fine with only two(?) quads and no 3A. In fact looking at the scores this season Anna would have won everything if she had done her planned programs clean. Why? Because the jump layout was there and she's got decent PCS marks as well. In the first half of the season Aleksandra had the jump layout but not the PCS but that doesn't seem to be the lesson she learned. Losing at the GPF seem to make her think "I need more quads and a 3A too!" not "All I need to do is just land the jumps I already got and really work on those components."

Maybe somehow it will all work out for her but right now that would mean becoming super consistent on the quads and 3A, stay uninjured (can that happen with all the pounding her body will take?) while also improving in the other areas plus hoping Alena and Anna (and the younger girls who will soon be of age!) stagnate or start to fall apart. That feels like a tall order at the moment

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This is all talk about a little girl who may or may not have certain feelings, reasonings, whatever and a father who presumably takes her opinions into account. And we have a coach who calls little girls traitors. Need I say more? I don't sympathise with Eteri to be honest who is an excellent kids coach but can't handle it when a pupil wants to do her own thing. I don't really care who is right or wrong, but to me it's abusive to use this kind of wordings towards a child. And it doesn't really matter whether the change leads to better results. For some, changing coaches is a good thing, for others it isn't (Keegan Messing for example thrives on having had the same coach for ever). But expecting a little girl to handle all this as if she were an adult? Right. She may be senior (although I have my own opinion on the age thing) but this is still a little girl who happens to love her dogs and wants to win in skating. I just want her to be happy, and maybe Pluschenko will do just that for her. Or not. We will see. But Pluschenko does know how a 15-year-old wanting success can feel..he's been there. He had Mischin to support him, and he might draw on that and empathise. I don't know if that will make him a better coach, but I can understand a girl wanting that understanding. Will it lead to results? I don't know, and - again - I don't really care. I do wish Alexandra to be happy though. If not with results, then with spending time with her dogs.

Pantsu

On the Ice
This is all talk about a little girl who may or may not have certain feelings, reasonings, whatever and a father who presumably takes her opinions into account. And we have a coach who calls little girls traitors. Need I say more? I don't sympathise with Eteri to be honest who is an excellent kids coach but can't handle it when a pupil wants to do her own thing. I don't really care who is right or wrong, but to me it's abusive to use this kind of wordings towards a child. And it doesn't really matter whether the change leads to better results. For some, changing coaches is a good thing, for others it isn't (Keegan Messing for example thrives on having had the same coach for ever). But expecting a little girl to handle all this as if she were an adult? Right. She may be senior (although I have my own opinion on the age thing) but this is still a little girl who happens to love her dogs and wants to win in skating. I just want her to be happy, and maybe Pluschenko will do just that for her. Or not. We will see. But Pluschenko does know how a 15-year-old wanting success can feel..he's been there. He had Mischin to support him, and he might draw on that and empathise. I don't know if that will make him a better coach, but I can understand a girl wanting that understanding. Will it lead to results? I don't know, and - again - I don't really care. I do wish Alexandra to be happy though. If not with results, then with spending time with her dogs.

So you see nothing wrong with Plyushchenko ? Like how he managed the situatiuon when certain girls left his academy

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Pluschenko had Tarakanova, which, at first, seemed like was beijg bullied by him. But the girl can’t stay 1 year with the same coach after him, and also, why do you think she left Eteri? She seems like a very emotional girl, and maybe she doesn’t have the strength necessary for the competitiveness of this sport. And Serafima was already at the bottom of her career. Pluschenko never had a top skater, in top shape coming to him, and he had never prioritized a skater’s coaching before the way he promised to do with Alexandra. Even if Pluschenko doesn’t comprimise with Alexandra, she’ll have Rozanov, who did a beautiful job with the novices and with Kamila. Can people please stop thinking Pluschenko only has bad things because of his wife? And can people please stop acting like Eteri is the only good coach in the world? Let’s give Sasha a chance to prove it was a good thing, we may get surprised.

withwings

On the Ice
Pluschenko had Tarakanova, which, at first, seemed like was beijg bullied by him. But the girl can’t stay 1 year with the same coach after him, and also, why do you think she left Eteri? She seems like a very emotional girl, and maybe she doesn’t have the strength necessary for the competitiveness of this sport. And Serafima was already at the bottom of her career. Pluschenko never had a top skater, in top shape coming to him, and he had never prioritized a skater’s coaching before the way he promised to do with Alexandra. Even if Pluschenko doesn’t comprimise with Alexandra, she’ll have Rozanov, who did a beautiful job with the novices and with Kamila. Can people please stop thinking Pluschenko only has bad things because of his wife? And can people please stop acting like Eteri is the only good coach in the world? Let’s give Sasha a chance to prove it was a good thing, we may get surprised.

:clap::clap:

Amei

Record Breaker

If it takes 1 of her senior level students, a novice level skater and a novice level coach leaving her team to get her to do her job that speaks poorly on Eteri. Her job (as with any coach) is to do do everything they can to make their skaters the best no coach should need to have 'motivation' to beat another skater to get them to do their job

I think it's a weak judgement from a girl who wants to be a top champion to jump ship when the going gets tough. Either her or her parents. .

I don't really agree with the term 'weak' - From everything that's been said so far, Trusova and/or her parents have a idea in their mind of how they want to achieve her dream, Eteri and her coaching team didn't agree with it and went somewhere we assume who agrees with them.

Plushenko is not a heavy weight coach..

In what way? That he's never had a top skater before? I'm not Plushenko's biggest cheerleader when it comes to his coaching career thus far from it's appearance, but everyone has to start somewhere just like Eteri, it was what 6-7 years ago she was relatively new to the scene and now she's certainly the top coach in Russia if not the world.

Sasha knows the environment of Sambo and what she was leaving, until we hear otherwise from Sasha we should be working under the impression that she wanted to move. A super competitive environment doesn't necessarily work for everyone, Yuna Kim, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, Carolina Kostner are all great skaters who didn't work (that I'm aware of) in the type of competitive environment that is Sambo.