Alexandra Trusova | Page 138 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I’m so tired of people thinking that the only image that fits Sasha is the “warrior”, “strong”, “unstoppable” one. That’s the image her old team created for her, not necessarily the image she wants to have or that actually shows her personality.
I’m not saying Romeo and Juliet represents her better, what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think there has been such thing as “Sasha’s” image until now. We saw what coaches wanted to show, but we don’t know if it was the image Sasha wanted to show, as we also don’t know if Romeo and Juliet is.
I think Sasha is still trying to find her artistic voice, and, until she does, it’s too early and repetitive to keep saying she’s a “warrior” type of skater, or “athletic”. Maybe she gets hurt by seeing that people don’t think she can be artistic, even though it’s not people’s fault. Let’s allow Alexandra Trusova find herself, find her artistic version, and then we’ll be able to say “this is a Sasha type of program”.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I’m so tired of people thinking that the only image that fits Sasha is the “warrior”, “strong”, “unstoppable” one. That’s the image her old team created for her, not necessarily the image she wants to have or that actually shows her personality.
I’m not saying Romeo and Juliet represents her better, what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think there has been such thing as “Sasha’s” image until now. We saw what coaches wanted to show, but we don’t know if it was the image Sasha wanted to show, as we also don’t know if Romeo and Juliet is.
I think Sasha is still trying to find her artistic voice, and, until she does, it’s too early and repetitive to keep saying she’s a “warrior” type of skater, or “athletic”. Maybe she gets hurt by seeing that people don’t think she can be artistic, even though it’s not people’s fault. Let’s allow Alexandra Trusova find herself, find her artistic version, and then we’ll be able to say “this is a Sasha type of program”.

No one said it’s the ONLY image that fits her.
I’m just a firm believer that changes need to happen gradually.
IF she feels like branching out, it could’ve been a good option since it offers something familiar and yet different.
Besides, that thinking doesn’t even come out of nowhere. Sasha likes wearing leather jackets and sneakers, when her teammates wear dresses (I.e. RusNats), she’s the only girl in a family of many brothers with a boxer father. Maybe it’s a stereotypical thinking, but I think it does contribute to Sasha’s character and mentality.

And if you read this thread, you’d know my opinion on “artistic = only lyrical”, I strongly despise that point of view.
In my opinion Sasha was always a great performer. It’s the judges that need to stop thinking that you need to do a lyrical program to be considered artistic.
That doesn’t however mean that any program will work well for her, as I believe it’s the case for most skaters, maybe not even not every program of her own choice. There needs to be an approach on how to select a program that matches a specific skater and helps them to evolve, instead of just throwing them a lyrical program or just letting them go with their own choices without guiding them.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

I would say that this is the image you created about her old team. You can find an interview with Daniil, where he speaks exactly about this. It is tempting, he said, to create only "warrior programs for Sasha and lyrical programs for Aliona, but you can't do that every time, there has to be different themes for them. BTW programs from 2017-18 season could be hardly called "warrior" etc. ones and even if the Peer Gynt SP is very rhytmic, it also is hardly this kind of a program. The program we saw at the show in february was another example of different style, I just wonder if that was intended as Sasha's new SP. Actually only 3 programs of Sasha's international career would strictly fit your characterization (Kill Bill, 5th Element and GoT).

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I would say that this is the image you created about her old team. You can find an interview with Daniil, where he speaks exactly about this. It is tempting, he said, to create only "warrior programs for Sasha and lyrical programs for Aliona, but you can't do that every time, there has to be different themes for them. BTW programs from 2017-18 season could be hardly called "warrior" etc. ones and even if the Peer Gynt SP is very rhytmic, it also is hardly this kind of a program. The program we saw at the show in february was another example of different style, I just wonder if that was intended as Sasha's new SP. Actually only 3 programs of Sasha's international career would strictly fit your characterization (Kill Bill, 5th Element and GoT).

I don't think it's the image I created about her old team.

Warrior programs are very (I don't know how to say it in English) memorable/hard to forget. How many warrior programs Anna/Aliona have? None. So, having more than 2 warrior programs in 2 seasons already gives the skater that image. And, again, whatever Daniil says/thinks only shows me how little he understands these girls (except maybe for Anna). They didn't try to give Sasha a new image. For me, the "energetic", "warrior" programs Sasha had with Team Tutberidze all had bad choreography and poor music choices:
1. Summer
2. Kill Bill
3. 5th element
4. Unstoppable
5. Game of Thrones

Will she have good choreography with Plushchenko? I have no idea.
I just think people should stop the whole "Sasha can only have warrior programs" thing. We don't even know what she's capable of yet, considering she had mostly Daniil choreographed programs with one image. It's hard to interpret bad music. Take Maya Kromykh - this year, they gave her a song she could connect to, and what happened? Magic! The girl flourished, smiled the whole program, sold it. I wonder what a Sasha program could be like if she skated to songs she could connect with. When I had piano recitals as a teenager and my professor made me play songs I hated, I would play them very poorly. When I had to play the songs I loved, it was magic. You can only sell what you believe in, what you love, what talks to your heart. Maybe, Sasha is a very delicate girl, who wants to show she has a girly side, a romantic side. Maybe, she's tired of being shown as a warrior. Who knows. What I'm trying to say is - let's deconstruct the image we have been told to believe is hers and wait to construct a new image.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico

Warrior programs are very (I don't know how to say it in English) memorable/hard to forget. How many warrior programs Anna/Aliona have? None. So, having more than 2 warrior programs in 2 seasons already gives the skater that image. And, again, whatever Daniil says/thinks only shows me how little he understands these girls (except maybe for Anna). They didn't try to give Sasha a new image. For me, the "energetic", "warrior" programs Sasha had with Team Tutberidze all had bad choreography and poor music choices:
1. Summer
2. Kill Bill
3. 5th element
4. Unstoppable
5. Game of Thrones

I just think people should stop the whole "Sasha can only have warrior programs" thing. We don't even know what she's capable of yet, considering she had mostly Daniil choreographed programs with one image. It's hard to interpret bad music. Take Maya Kromykh - this year, they gave her a song she could connect to, and what happened? Magic! The girl flourished, smiled the whole program, sold it. I wonder what a Sasha program could be like if she skated to songs she could connect with. When I had piano recitals as a teenager and my professor made me play songs I hated, I would play them very poorly. When I had to play the songs I loved, it was magic. You can only sell what you believe in, what you love, what talks to your heart. Maybe, Sasha is a very delicate girl, who wants to show she has a girly side, a romantic side. Maybe, she's tired of being shown as a warrior. Who knows. What I'm trying to say is - let's deconstruct the image we have been told to believe is hers and wait to construct a new image.

Sasha's career is still way to short, but the "warrior" programs do suit her well, better than anyone else I can think of actually. She's very athletic and powerful in her skating style and layout. Nathan Chen is her skating idol, so I guess that's the style she likes most...
I liked her programs with TT because they used original music and concepts, or at least I knew I could expect Sasha's programs to be different, fun and interesting.
Plushenko wants to give her warhorses and make her choreo more like the men's (his words, not mine), so if you're expecting delicate, fairy Sasha, I think you'll be disappointed.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

1. Summer
2. Kill Bill
3. 5th element
4. Unstoppable
5. Game of Thrones

Glad we have you to understand the girls :biggrin:

Seriously, Summer is definitely not a "warrior" program, just because it has particular rhythm etc. Unstoppable is an exhibition and BTW one of the best exhibition programs that fitted Sasha perfectly (also the program with millions of views at Skate Canada :) , so it doesn't seem people don't like that as Sasha's program). Sasha's own statements didn't built the image of "a very delicate girl, who wants to show she has a girly side", at least till recently. I can't exclude a shift that happened later, but hardly before the last season started and it's opening events, and we don't have any solid ground for such claims or for claims how evil Danny G doesn't understand her (while you do :rolleye:). On the other hand I don't think there are many people outside who should stop "the whole Sasha can only have warrior programs", because I don't think there are a lot of them and after all they don't have the right to decide anything about it, so their opinion don't matter. It seems the reasons for Sasha's departure was different opinion about the number of jumps performed in one program (and unstability of them) not some hypothetical disconnection with the music and programs.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I would love to see Sasha in a trouser role as Romeo. It would suit her unbelievable technique better, and any comparison would be blocked. It also would be unique in terms of R&J too - just right for Sasha.
According to Plushenko Sasha will not be Juliet. He didn't say "Romeo" either, just a general depiction of the story.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I don't know, I kind of hate this idea that just because Sasha does quads she has to do "warrior" programs or play masculine characters. Like obviously she should do as she wants but I'd love to see her do a more feminine program, just to show that you can be feminine and strong. So I'm excited for R&J from Sasha. Even if she isnt playing Juliet. I know R&J is the butt of many jokes, but imo Juliet is a pretty strong character.

Fried

Final Flight
Which begs the question of what is feminine. Glitzy dresses, soft movements, waving your arms around, eyeliner and constant smiles? These are views from R & J's time that survived solely in figure skating. That was the only reason I spoke of Romeo. From my point of view, Sasha can also skate in pants as Julia.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I would love to see Sasha in a trouser role as Romeo. It would suit her unbelievable technique better, and any comparison would be blocked. It also would be unique in terms of R&J too - just right for Sasha.
That's an interesting idea. But if Evgeni wants Sasha to get away from this jumping Queen she was with EG then he needs to add things to her performance that makes Sasha different than the Sasha that was the jumping Queen with EG.
According to Plushenko Sasha will not be Juliet. He didn't say "Romeo" either, just a general depiction of the story.
Again if he wants to show a difference between Sasha with E G and Sasha with Plushy she needs to be Juliet and she needs to show some growth with her repertoire. That can happen with Sasha in the Juliet role. We already know what Sasha was with TT and that was a Phenom. Evgenia is supposed to broaden Sasha's Horizons as his number one pupil.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
That's an interesting idea. But if Evgeni wants Sasha to get away from this jumping Queen she was with EG then he needs to add things to her performance that makes Sasha different than the Sasha that was the jumping Queen with EG.

Again if he wants to show a difference between Sasha with E G and Sasha with Plushy she needs to be Juliet and she needs to show some growth with her repertoire. That can happen with Sasha in the Juliet role. We already know what Sasha was with TT and that was a Phenom. Evgenia is supposed to broaden Sasha's Horizons as his number one pupil.
No she doesnt need to be juliet, give her time. It only has been a few months, you cant expect miracles, we didnt expect miracles from zhenya when she left because we know it takes time, so lets give both sasha and aljona the time they need .

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Which begs the question of what is feminine. Glitzy dresses, soft movements, waving your arms around, eyeliner and constant smiles? These are views from R & J's time that survived solely in figure skating. That was the only reason I spoke of Romeo. From my point of view, Sasha can also skate in pants as Julia.

Sorry I didn't mean to call you out specifically :laugh: I guess I do mean "traditionally" feminine, as in like being softer, wearing dresses and such? Like, Daenarys can be feminine too. idk, but I think nowadays we look down upon "traditionally" feminine activities and women as weak and vain, which is dumb. So I guess I'm just excited to see Sasha be traditionally feminine. It just annoys me when people act like quads are masculine and because she does them Sasha should compete with the men or that men should be ashamed when she has a higher technical score than them. Maybe I should say more like, Sasha doesn't need to be a warrior to do quads, she can be a princess (if she wants) and do them too.

Fried

Final Flight
Personally, I like Sasha in the role of the tomboy, I'll admit that quite openly. But it's not my taste that counts, nor that of other fans. The only important thing is that Sasha feels comfortable in her role. I will cheer her on in any case, no matter what costume she is in and no matter whether she gets clean or not. :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I like Sasha in the role of the tomboy, I'll admit that quite openly. But it's not my taste that counts, nor that of other fans. The only important thing is that Sasha feels comfortable in her role. I will cheer her on in any case, no matter what costume she is in and no matter whether she gets clean or not. :)

Because you are a true fan. :thumbsup:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Sorry I didn't mean to call you out specifically :laugh: I guess I do mean "traditionally" feminine, as in like being softer, wearing dresses and such? Like, Daenarys can be feminine too. idk, but I think nowadays we look down upon "traditionally" feminine activities and women as weak and vain, which is dumb. So I guess I'm just excited to see Sasha be traditionally feminine. It just annoys me when people act like quads are masculine and because she does them Sasha should compete with the men or that men should be ashamed when she has a higher technical score than them. Maybe I should say more like, Sasha doesn't need to be a warrior to do quads, she can be a princess (if she wants) and do them too.

I don't think quads require powerful music, because many male skaters can skate quite well with lyrical pieces as well.
I do think that kind of music helps though, esp. if the jumps are explosive like Sasha's. Music building up to a quad adds the excitement, it becomes a moment in a program!

vorravorra

Record Breaker

I am not sure she needs to be Juliet to show growth. If she can improve her SS and choreography in Denis Samokhin's group that will be progress regardless of what character she depicts.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I am not sure she needs to be Juliet to show growth. If she can improve her SS and choreography in Denis Samokhin's group that will be progress regardless of what character she depicts.

Who is that man? Where does this info come from?

Scott512

Record Breaker

But if Sasha is supposed to be changing with this new coaching environment she is with and with such a dramatic new program as Romeo and Juliet she needs to be Juliet and stretch her talents out It's also time for her to move away from this tomboy persona she has. Yes that is super cute and no doubt Sasha is a tomboy but I think the isu judges will certainly appreciate improvements in other areas for Sasha. When that happens she can win any event she enters even with mistakes.

GINO

On the Ice
Sasha is working on 4S with Dmitry Mikhailov https://www.instagram.com/p/CEUEBPCpNf9/

I think it is clear that she wants to include this jump in the program, otherwise there is no sense in wasting time on an needless jump. From what we have already seen, Sasha will go for at least 4 quads in LP(lutz, toe loop, salchow and repetition of one of these jumps). I wonder how things are now with 3A, if there is time to work with the less needed 4S:think: