Alexei Yagudin | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Alexei Yagudin

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I posted almost nothing in this thread in the recent three years.

Yes, I do know bad things about Alexei (I mean not some doubtable stories now, but those things about which I’m sure). Today I want to say that I also know enough good things about him. For me good things are not overweighted by bad ones. I mean not only his skating.
Today I feel that I’m strong enough to have my own opinion about a person.
I do remember Yagudin’s friendship with Denis Ten (may his soul be blessed): I mean posts by Denis, their dialogues, their projects. I do like that all Yagudin’s kids grow in one family. I don’t blame those people who didn’t manage to salvage their marriage, I just say that it’s nice to see a harmonious family. I do like that his kids look relaxed and happy.
Actually I’m not going to make a list of such things now.
It seems I can say that there is no skater whom I condemn every time when he or she is mentioned. If other posters are not shy to post their negative opinions, I think I’m free to post something positive or something neutral without being shy.
I can honestly say that I don’t try to watch every new video with Yagudin now or to read every new interview, but I think I’ll do some updates in the first post of this thread (when I’ll find time for that).

I also can wish you friends who would be ready to keep good relationship with you even knowing about your faults.

noeleyle

On the Ice
I posted almost nothing in this thread in the recent three years.

Yes, I do know bad things about Alexei (I mean not some doubtable stories now, but those things about which I’m sure). Today I want to say that I also know enough good things about him. For me good things are not overweighted by bad ones. I mean not only his skating.
Today I feel that I’m strong enough to have my own opinion about a person.
I do remember Yagudin’s friendship with Denis Ten (may his soul be blessed): I mean posts by Denis, their dialogues, their projects. I do like that all Yagudin’s kids grow in one family. I don’t blame those people who didn’t manage to salvage their marriage, I just say that it’s nice to see a harmonious family. I do like that his kids look relaxed and happy.
Actually I’m not going to make a list of such things now.
It seems I can say that there is no skater whom I condemn every time when he or she is mentioned. If other posters are not shy to post their negative opinions, I think I’m free to post something positive or something neutral without being shy.
I can honestly say that I don’t try to watch every new video with Yagudin now or to read every new interview, but I think I’ll do some updates in the first post of this thread (when I’ll find time for that).

I also can wish you friends who would be ready to keep good relationship with you even knowing about your faults.
I've missed you, Rina!
I've sincerely loved all the sweet stories you posted about Lyosha's family and friends, and I still do. You were the first person who introduced me to the friendship between him and Denis, which ultimately led me to become a fan of Denis also (they are my favorite two skaters now). I'm grateful for all the things you've done and it's so nice to see you back now:hap10:

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Some recent videos

“Racing” – July 2023
(100 years of Moscow sport)

“How Young We Were” – May 2023

“Ne Me Quitte Pas” – March 2023
(it is “The Russian Challenge” competition which Alexei won)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
As for the number which Alexei skated in “The Russian Challenge” competition, the idea of playing with spot lights isn’t new, of course. At least, clowns did it (I mean not skating). Some people even think that Averbukh (who choreographed this number) just copied a number by a famous clown Oleg Popov.
I think they mean this number by Popov:
Of course, Yagudin’s number partly reminds this number, but I think it tells another story.
I think it’s OK. Artists keep borrowing ideas from one another century by century. As far as I know even Shakespeare was retelling an old story when he wrote his “Romeo and Juliet”.
As for skating… I don’t remember whether there were similar numbers by other skaters or not.

Last edited:

noeleyle

On the Ice
I think Popov's program is different from Alexei's. The theme is different. Actually I remember many programs from Ice Age using the light as an interesting tool, like Yagudin and Lanskaya's program to "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" where they interacted with the light, similar to part of the design in this year's NMQP. It's a trick that Averbukh has got familiar with, I believe. And it works great each time.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
It's a trick that Averbukh has got familiar with, I believe. And it works great each time.

Yes, I agree that Averbukh is good at using illumination, but I think it happens not so often that skaters are actively interacting with spot lights. To say the truth, even this number with Lanskaya didn't come to my mind (when I was thinking about spot lights). Maybe it is because I was thinking about comic numbers, not about lyrical ones.
Lighting is also important in Yagudin’s “Muse”, but it has another role there.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
"Anna Karenina"

(if you haven’t seen it in other threads)