All Japan Nationals - pre-event discussions | Golden Skate

All Japan Nationals - pre-event discussions

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
As the Junior Nationals had come to an end, a new discussion thread is devoted to any discussion prior to Nationals.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
As announced in the news, the 20-21 All Japan Nationals will NOT host the category of pair competition:

(News: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ad8296251b8793567235b7f22e632b28de1a7b2e)

The reason is that, the only possible entry, Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara, are currently training in Canada. Once they leave Canada it could be difficult for them to re-enter their training base. So the JSF has put the pair competition in 2020 Nationals on hold.

On a side note, Satoko Miyahara, who also trains in Canada now, will return to take part in the Nationals.

readernick

Medalist
As announced in the news, the 20-21 All Japan Nationals will NOT host the category of pair competition:

(News: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ad8296251b8793567235b7f22e632b28de1a7b2e)

The reason is that, the only possible entry, Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara, are currently training in Canada. Once they leave Canada it could be difficult for them to re-enter their training base. So the JSF has put the pair competition in 2020 Nationals on hold.

On a side note, Satoko Miyahara, who also trains in Canada now, will return to take part in the Nationals.
Thanks for the information. I am disappointed that there is no pairs' competition. I was looking forward to seeing Muira and Kihara again.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Ladies

1. Yuna Aoki (E8)
2. Chisato Uramatsu (J9-invited)
3. Rika Oya (E9)
4. Tomoe Kawabata (Seed/E5)
5. Mnan Kawabe (W4)
6. Rika Kihira (Seed)
7. Kaori Sakamoto (W1)
8. Ibuki Sato (E11)
9. Yuna Shiraiwa (W5)
10. Natsu Suzuki (J7-invited)
11. Rion Sumiyoshi (J5-invited)
12. Riko Takino (W11)
13. Hina Takeno (W8)
14. Mone Chiba (J8-invited)
15. Yuka Nagaii (E6)
16. Rin Nitaya (W3)
17. Wakaba Higuichi (Seed)
18. Honoka Hirotani (E7)
19. Rika Hongo (W9)
20. Marin Honda (E10)
21. Rino Matsuike (J1-invited)
22. Yua Matsuda (W10)
23. Akari Matsubara (E4)
24. Mai Mihara (W2)
25. Satoko Miyahara (Special seed)
26. Mako Yamashita (W6)
27. Yuhana Yokoi (W7)
28. Shiika Yoshioka (E2)
29. Hana Yoshida (J2-invited)
30. Rinka Watanabe (E3)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I hope JPTV comes through for us again.....
(PaulE, here are some more of the juniors)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Have you got entry list for men and dance?

If it helps, I have now put detailed Entry List tables up in the original post of the Predictions Thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/87339/

Can anybody help me to fill in the gaps in the qualifying columns? I am guessing that Hanyu is "Special Exempt", since he has that status every year. But, what about the other guys that didn't do Sectionals (Uno and Shimada)? Are they normal seeds, or something extra too? And what about the 3 Dance partnerships that weren't at Western Sectionals? What is their qualifying status?

Also, does anybody know if there is a draft timetable out there? Because I don't even know what day the skating actually starts, never mind the time or the segment.

Really looking forward to this.

CaroLiza_fan

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Hanyu finished second last year, so he is a regular Seed.

Uno won nationals last year, so he is a regular Seed (as is Kageyama, the third place finisher)

Shimada is a Seed, granted entry based on the International Competitions he was expected to be able to compete in (the canceled France Grand Prix event).

As for ice dance, there were two births given at Western Sectionals. The second birth was won by Hirayama/Tateno pair.

Yajima/Ikeda won their birth from Eastern Sectionals.

The other two couples are like Shimada's case (because they competed in NHK Trophy).

Also, even though Kawabata competed in regionals, she is actually a Seed, by virtue of her third place finish last year.

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
If it helps, I have now put detailed Entry List tables up in the original post of the Predictions Thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/87339/

Can anybody help me to fill in the gaps in the qualifying columns? I am guessing that Hanyu is "Special Exempt", since he has that status every year. But, what about the other guys that didn't do Sectionals (Uno and Shimada)? Are they normal seeds, or something extra too? And what about the 3 Dance partnerships that weren't at Western Sectionals? What is their qualifying status?

Also, does anybody know if there is a draft timetable out there? Because I don't even know what day the skating actually starts, never mind the time or the segment.

Really looking forward to this.

CaroLiza_fan
Hanyu, Uno, and Kagiyama are the formal/normal 'seeds' (given the podium placements from last year). I think Shimada's case is better to be listed as 'exempt' (similar case to Miyahara due to training overseas, but I don't recall announcement saying Shimada is consider seeded...).
Yes, Yajima/Ikeda should be Eastern 1 (Both Western and Eastern ice dance competitions were held under western section). And Muramoto/Takahashi & Fukase/Cho are both 'exempt'

Time Table for the competition: https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2020-2021/fs_j/nationalsenior/11-28_schedule.pdf

rabidline

Final Flight
Hanyu, Uno, and Kagiyama are the formal/normal 'seeds' (given the podium placements from last year). I think Shimada's case is better to be listed as 'exempt' (similar case to Miyahara due to training overseas, but I don't recall announcement saying Shimada is consider seeded...).

JSF made the exemption announcement for Shimada, Miura/Kihara, Fukase/Cho and Muramoto/Takahashi before Sectionals started:

Satoko's exemption was announced earlier, before Regionals:

I think they're considered "exemptions" to differentiate from the "seeds" (Kihira, Higuchi, Kawabata, Uno, Hanyu and Kagiyama).

There were also "junior seeds", the podium finishers at Junior Nationals 2019 who didn't need to do qualifying for Junior Nationals 2020: Hana Yoshida and Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda. Junior Nats medalists who turned senior this season like Shun Sato and Mana Kawabe were required to qualify for Senior Nats (and they did), except Kagiyama and Kawabata who podiumed in Senior Nats, making them "seeds" for Senior Nats even though they podiumed while still being juniors (same thing happened to Shoma Uno in 2014 Nats and Rika Kihira in 2017 Nats).

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
@zanadude, @cohkaix, @rabidline

Thank you all for your answers. I've just updated the tabels accordingly.

And thank you for explaining about Yajima/Ikeda. I did think it strange there was an Ice Dance competition at one of the Sectionals and not at the other. So, it was actually a combined competition. Well, I suppose that makes sense, given the small number of Dance partnerships that there are in Japan.

So, skating starts at 03:30 my time on Christmas Day. Hey, if I get up to watch LIVE, I might catch Santa!!! 🎅

Thank you again for all the info.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

readernick

Medalist
JSF should be ashamed not to have pairs competition.
It is sad there aren't more pair's skaters in Japan. I hope this changes. I think there are many skaters in Japan in both the men and women's novice/junior field who will never have the jumping ability to get out of Japan but would be the correct size for pairs. If properly coached, some could become very competitive internationally. What could JSF do to encourage this?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
They did the right thing. Bringing Miura/Kihara back and protentionally disrupting their training for many months just to get an automatic gold medal benefits nobody.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the lack of will of JSF to develop the discipline. They don't care about pairs.