Alpine Skiing | Golden Skate

Alpine Skiing

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m watching World Cup: Women’s Slalom right now. The littlest error can ruin an entire run! These girls are gutsy!!

Mikaela Shiffrin just laid it down!!! 🇺🇸

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I’m watching World Cup: Women’s Slalom right now. The littlest error can ruin an entire run! These girls are gutsy!!

If you think that's gutsy, check out the visually impaired version at the Paralympics!

At the moment, it looks like the reigning Women's Super-G champion from Sochi won't be going to Pyeongchang. :disapp:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/42542190

Kelly Gallagher (Northern Ireland) was out of action for most of the past year due to an injury, and Team GB have opted to select 2 teenagers instead - Millie Knight (England) and Meena Fitzpatrick (Wales).

However, there is still a chance that Kelly could go to Korea, because un-used slots will be re-allocated.

I really hope so. Because Kelly's win was the most emotional moment from Sochi for me. I actually cried I was that happy!

CaroLiza_fan

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
The one sport austria is actually good at!!!

I'm just hoping and praying that Marcel Hirscher (our mens favourite) will keep his form up til the Olympics.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just saw that Veronika Zuzulová is going to be the flag bearer for Slovakia.

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Couldn’t think of a more deserving person to be Slovakia’s flag bearer! :agree:

But I honestly didn't think Veronika was going to be going to Pyeongchang, because she has missed nearly all of the season through injury. She has only done one World Cup race this season, and that was only last week.

I have mixed feelings about this. For the past few seasons, Zuzulová was the only person that was consistently putting up a challenge to Shiffrin in the Slalom. So, it is great news that she is back just in time for the Olympics.

But, I don't think she is fit enough to challenge in Pyeongchang.

Given that Veronika is now 33, we have been expecting for a few years now that this would be her last season competing. And after missing Sochi through injury, I can understand why she was so determined to come back before these Olympics.

But, given her recent problems, I am so worried about her doing lasting damage.

Be careful Veronika, and all the best

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Vonn again won downhill today... tight but still a win. 3 wins out of 4 competitions this year. So impressed with her after injuries and back problems. Couldn't start in Sochi and now as good as ever.

She and Goggia were so funny after G's race, 0.11 seconds behind. Pointing at each other like 'you just wait until Peyongchang' :laugh: Weirather also close in third place. Downhill olympics will be exciting: Wed, 21 Feb at 11.00 Korea time. Oh well again in the middle of the night for me.

Schiffrin on the other hand crumbled last weekend. Shaky olympic nerves? We'll see. I think she's still the slaloms gold favorite.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just had a check of the entries, and am delighted to see that Luc Alphand's daughter, Estelle, is going to Pyeongchang.

HOWEVER, how is she eligible? Does the FIS not have an embargo period like the ISU does?

For those that haven't been following the Alpine Skiing, at the end of last season Estelle switched from representing her Dad's country (France) to representing her Mum's country (Sweden).

Basically, Luc wasn't at all happy with the way that the French team was being run, or with the way that they were not giving Estelle opportunities to race in the World Cup. So, after weighing everything up, they decided that the only way she was going to get anywhere in her career was if she was to switch country.

Since making the switch, Estelle has been a revelation. Her results have improved beyond recognition. Before this season, her best World Cup finish was a 21[SUP]st[/SUP] from way back in November 2015. This season, she has been regularly in the Top 10, and even made the Top 5 in Lienz.

Perhaps more significantly, she is regularly beating all the girls that are currently representing France.

I don't remember Luc when he was ski racing, but I do remember him from when he was doing the Dakar Rally. And, I really took to him. So, when I started following the Women's Alpine a few years ago and found out he had a daughter that was competing, I started keeping an eye on how she was getting on.

So, I am absolutely delighted with how this season is turning out for Estelle. I hope she can continue to cause upsets at the Olympics! :biggrin:

:cheer: ALL THE BEST, ESTELLE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Just had a check of the entries, and am delighted to see that Luc Alphand's daughter, Estelle, is going to Pyeongchang.

HOWEVER, how is she eligible? Does the FIS not have an embargo period like the ISU does?

For those that haven't been following the Alpine Skiing, at the end of last season Estelle switched from representing her Dad's country (France) to representing her Mum's country (Sweden).

Basically, Luc wasn't at all happy with the way that the French team was being run, or with the way that they were not giving Estelle opportunities to race in the World Cup. So, after weighing everything up, they decided that the only way she was going to get anywhere in her career was if she was to switch country.

Since making the switch, Estelle has been a revelation. Her results have improved beyond recognition. Before this season, her best World Cup finish was a 21[SUP]st[/SUP] from way back in November 2015. This season, she has been regularly in the Top 10, and even made the Top 5 in Lienz.

Perhaps more significantly, she is regularly beating all the girls that are currently representing France.

I don't remember Luc when he was ski racing, but I do remember him from when he was doing the Dakar Rally. And, I really took to him. So, when I started following the Women's Alpine a few years ago and found out he had a daughter that was competing, I started keeping an eye on how she was getting on.

So, I am absolutely delighted with how this season is turning out for Estelle. I hope she can continue to cause upsets at the Olympics! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

I do remember Luc well, he was one of "my" rivals, as I was a Kjetel Andre Aamodt fan back in the 90's and I must say he was a superb downhill racer. That is an interesting news that his daughter is competing.. I usually don't follow ladies events but I might take a look to see how she fares ... I see she is competing for Sweden now, wow. :)

For Mens event, all my :hap10::cheer: goes to Aksel Lund Svindal, and for the slalom Michael Matt, Mario's brother :peace:

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I have a feeling that for the mens the slalom and giant slalom will be between Marcel Hirscher and Henrik Kristoffersen like the rest of the season.
Obviously sort of hoping for Marcel cause he's been an actual beast this season but I'm somehow worried that because of that the olympics will be were it all goes downhill :-/ But I'd be happy with either of them really.

A surprise win by someone like Matt would be amazing though :D Really sad that Felix Neureuther isn't there, our honorary austrian :laugh:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

:cheer: ALL THE BEST, ESTELLE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

I wondered about that too. But obviously an agreement between the French and Swedish federations was enough for a quick switch. Good for Estelle who felt pressure in France for being Luc’s daughter and finding the conditions in the French team stressful.

beachmouse

On the Ice
She and Goggia were so funny after G's race, 0.11 seconds behind. Pointing at each other like 'you just wait until Peyongchang' :laugh: Weirather also close in third place. Downhill olympics will be exciting: Wed, 21 Feb at 11.00 Korea time. Oh well again in the middle of the night for me.

Goggia is supposed to be one of the more popular women on the Alpine WC Tour- really great personality by all accounts.

And I think all the injury rehab stints in recent years have made Vonn more reflective- she's still a cutthroat competitor, but she's also put soem thought into her legacy in the sport (she's sponsored Jackie Wilde on the WC tour becaus she feels it's important to help other female athletes reach their potential), doesn't take anything for granted, and lets herself have more fun than she used to.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Goggia is supposed to be one of the more popular women on the Alpine WC Tour- really great personality by all accounts.

And I think all the injury rehab stints in recent years have made Vonn more reflective- she's still a cutthroat competitor, but she's also put soem thought into her legacy in the sport (she's sponsored Jackie Wilde on the WC tour becaus she feels it's important to help other female athletes reach their potential), doesn't take anything for granted, and lets herself have more fun than she used to.

I loved the way that, during the podium ceremony, Lindsey was telling Jackie what to do. It really showed how much interest Lindsey is taking in actually mentoring her, rather than just being a source of funding.

I don't know if you get the "Chasing History" series where you are, but if you haven't seen it, I would really recommend doing so. It pretty much confirms everything you just wrote!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
KELLY GALLAGHER'S GOING TO PYEONGCHANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Absolutely delighted for her!!!

It would have been heartbreaking if she hadn't got the chance to go to the Paralympics this time, after winning a Gold Medal the last time.

So, both of our representatives from Sochi that are still competing are back for Korea.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST KELLY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Manitou

Medalist
I feel so sorry for Jackie. What she did was so unwise. Risking so much to save the run one week before the Olympics. Why? She was so promising. I wish her successful recovery before the next season.

The only US hopes for medals are Mikaela in slaloms and combined and Lindsey in downhill. I was so hoping Jackie would be a factor in downhill....

I really feel nervous about Mikaela. I watched the TV special about her and she is so different from the other US skiers. They all stick together, help each other, support, have fun together, but Mikaela is always by herself with her mom. Doesn't seem to socialize with the others, the others never include her in their selfies, mentions or hashtags. It's a strange social dynamics on the US team. Once I saw Lindsey's photo from one of the recent world cup events - it was titled "The US ladies together" and was showing everyone - Jackie, Lindsey, Alice, Lauren, Stacey, etc, all of them... except Mikaela. Why did Lindsey do that? Isn't Mikaela American too?
I really hope for Mikaela to prove herself. Somehow she is overshadowed by Lindsey in the media and Lindsey makes sure it stays this way.

beachmouse

On the Ice
I think part of it is because Mikaela was so young when she started on the World Cup circuit that she had to travel with a guardian- her mom- and that when she started to win WC races at 17, she didn't want to tinker too much with a scenario that seemed to be working perfectly for her from a competition standpoint.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sad to hear that Shiffrin is a loner in the american team. Maybe it can change in the olympic village. Perhaps there are some social gatherings for the team. Anyway... good luck Mikaela!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Due to high winds, Downhill will be postponed to Thursday, 11 local time (03:00 CET, 21:00 EST Wednesday night).

Manitou

Medalist
Due to high winds, Downhill will be postponed to Thursday, 11 local time (03:00 CET, 21:00 EST Wednesday night).

They postponed downhill due to the winds, but couldn’t postpone ski jumping, where safety is equally important.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to bed now, so putting this up as a placeholder, and will add the links tomorrow.

First Run of the Women's Giant Slalom

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 3h 15m from now):
XXXX

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...-1st-leg/d386f621-88ea-44ef-b2aa-0febdb416adf

Here is the Start List for the First Run:
http://medias2.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/5210/2018AL5210SLR1.pdf

And here is the Live Timing:
XXXX

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

- - - Updated - - -

Going to bed now, so putting this up as a placeholder, and will add the links tomorrow.

Second Run of the Women's Giant Slalom

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 6h 45m from now):
XXXX

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/channel/e1br

Here is the Start List for the Second Run:
http://medias2.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/5210/2018AL5210SLR2.pdf

And here is the Live Timing:
XXXX

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan