Alpine Skiing | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alpine Skiing

Manitou

Medalist
I think Vonn might go one more season to try for the World Cup overall wins record. She's really close and has talked about wanting that in the past.

She has no chance for overall. Might have a chance in downhill, but with Stuhec returning, Goggia and other Italians getting better and better, Shiffrin rapidly improving in speed, plus the entire younger group coming, she may not even have a chance in that.

Manitou

Medalist
Legit question about Vonn, ... was it hype?

No, she had very realistic chances for gold both in DH and SG. If she hadn't run first in DH, not knowing the course and making a mistake that cost her 1 second, she would have had gold in SG. In DH she was probably too cautious to finish and get anything, so she was too conservative. Still awesome result.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
No, she had very realistic chances for gold both in DH and SG. If she hadn't run first in DH, not knowing the course and making a mistake that cost her 1 second, she would have had gold in SG. In DH she was probably too cautious to finish and get anything, so she was too conservative. Still awesome result.

Gotcha, thank you. I’ve just heard both sides and wasn’t sure

beachmouse

On the Ice
Legit question about Vonn, was she really expected to do well o was it hype?

She's had a decent number of downhill wins in 2018, and had as good of a chance as anyone for gold.

As for the World Cup overall wins, I meant the number of career races won, and not a series championship.

Ingemar Stenmark- 86
Lindsay Vonn- 81
Annemarie Moser-Proll- 62
Marchell Hirsher-55
Vrenni Schneider- 55

Given her recent form, if she can stay major injury-free, moving ahead of Stenmark is a live possibility, and she's said she wanted to go for that.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Re-posting the details of the Seconds Runs, as the coverage is just starting.

Second Run of the Men's Slalom

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 10m from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/mens-slalom-2nd-leg/9bcdb447-1d63-4c9e-bbbd-a699460240f2

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player (starts at 7m 27s. Tina Maze edition of My Olympic Confession at 1m 25s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/mens-slalom-2nd-leg/1486366c-ada0-46aa-a8de-058a39618836

Here is the Start List for the Second Run:
http://medias2.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/0233/2018AL0233SLR2.pdf

And here is the Live Timing:
http://live.fis-ski.com/liveal0233.htm

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

- - - Updated - - -

Slalom Run of the Women's Combined

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 40m from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/womens-combined-slalom/b0563470-b8dd-4312-bb1a-c1da881b073b

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player (starts at 19m 25s. End of 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Run of Men's Slalom at start):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...e-skiing/190c2643-42e3-414e-acd6-8bc0f17bc3f6

Here is the Start List for the Second Run:
http://medias2.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/5219/2018AL5219SLR2.pdf

http://live.fis-ski.com/liveal5219.htm

Hope this helps.

CaroLiza_fan

Have to be honest, a lot of these times from the Eurosport Player don't make sense to me.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yay. More vomit reporting and even some footage.

Manitou

Medalist
Oh yay. More vomit reporting and even some footage.

What vomit? I missed it.

So gold and silver for Mikaela. I guess all other skiers would love to have gold and silver at the Olympics, but her expectation were higher. It's OK, be proud of what you have. It's really a lot!
As to Lindsey, she got bronze. She hoped for more, but again - a great career. And still going...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So happy for André. Goal reached for this nice guy at his fourth olympics :clap:

Slalom:
Gold André Myhrer (SWE)
Silver Ramon Zenhaeusern (SUI)
Bronze Michael Matt (AUT)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What vomit? I missed it.

So gold and silver for Mikaela. I guess all other skiers would love to have gold and silver at the Olympics, but her expectation were higher. It's OK, be proud of what you have. It's really a lot!
As to Lindsey, she got bronze. She hoped for more, but again - a great career. And still going...

There's been a couple times they covered vomit. Once was either Vonn or Shiffrin, after she had had a bad run, having a microphone shoved in her face and interviewed about how she had vomited at the top of the hill. I don't remember the other one, but they showed them hurling from behind. I really would like my sports commentary anti bodily emission free. I mean they get NO privacy I guess. I could not handle it.

My PHONE spoiled me this am - I'm so sick of being spoiled. I'm gutted for Vonn. She worked SO hard - I know, they all do. I fell in love with her after an NBC documentary - and she just lost her grandfather - and this is her last Olympics. Sports sucks sometimes.

Manitou

Medalist
There's been a couple times they covered vomit. Once was either Vonn or Shiffrin, after she had had a bad run, having a microphone shoved in her face and interviewed about how she had vomited at the top of the hill. I don't remember the other one, but they showed them hurling from behind. I really would like my sports commentary anti bodily emission free. I mean they get NO privacy I guess. I could not handle it.

My PHONE spoiled me this am - I'm so sick of being spoiled. I'm gutted for Vonn. She worked SO hard - I know, they all do. I fell in love with her after an NBC documentary - and she just lost her grandfather - and this is her last Olympics. Sports sucks sometimes.

Mikaela said herself that the pressure of public expectations makes her vomit before the competitions quite often. But I never saw it actually broadcast on TV. You know, celebrity's vomit must have a different value than ours, I guess...

What I am not liking is the social dynamics between Mikaela and Lindsey. I have an impression they are not supporting each other, they ignore and avoid each other. The Swiss keep together, Italians keep together, French and so on, somehow Mikaela is being excluded from the American social group. Or it appears that way..

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mikaela said herself that the pressure of public expectations makes her vomit before the competitions quite often. But I never saw it actually broadcast on TV. You know, celebrity's vomit must have a different value than ours, I guess...

What I am not liking is the social dynamics between Mikaela and Lindsey. I have an impression they are not supporting each other, they ignore and avoid each other. The Swiss keep together, Italians keep together, French and so on, somehow Mikaela is being excluded from the American social group. Or it appears that way..

Yes, someone actually stuck a microphone in her face and asked if the vomiting was because she was sick or because of nerves. Someone else posted about Mikaela. They surmised it had something to do with her hanging out with her mother all the time and not the team.

Manitou

Medalist
Yes, someone actually stuck a microphone in her face and asked if the vomiting was because she was sick or because of nerves.

Well, that's what the reporters do, I guess... It's their job to stick microphones into people's faces and talk about vomits. They have to feed their children too...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, that's what the reporters do, I guess... It's their job to stick microphones into people's faces and talk about vomit. They have to feed their children too...

I just think any bodily emission should be avoided as a reporter's question.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
:eek:topic: When they first started doing the Ironman in Hawaii and before sports science took a giant leap forward in understanding the way the human body can react to the stress of being pushed just that far and how to prevent it, ABC used to love doing these very, very cinematic shows about it (told more like a story in a lot of ways) and they would go into glorious detail about people barfing and losing control of their bowls and bladder during the race. Even watching was not for the faint of heart.

Ah the pre internet days when they had such control over the flow of information that they could craft shows like this.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Highlights of the Team Parallel Slalom due to start in 10 minutes from now.

I am so sorry. I completely forgot that the last Alpine action of the Olympics was happening overnight. :palmf:

That's what happens when you get engrossed in the Free Dance from 4 Continents, and forget to check what's on the additional streams before switching off the computer for the night.

I did realise my mistake, and checked the Sky EPG to see if anything of interest on BES1 (I knew the Superbikes were on BES2). But since the Alpine wasn't being shown LIVE on the linear channels, I didn't twig that it was happening (bear in mind this was way past my normal bed time, and I was half stupid as a result).

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/team/9a386d01-314f-4c07-b5ec-b62ee53f9c3e

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player (starts in 10 minutes from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/channel/e1br

Here is the Start List:
http://medias1.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/0223/2018AL0223SLR0.pdf

Here is the format:
http://medias3.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/AL/0223/2018AL0223SLL.pdf

http://live.fis-ski.com/livealt0223.htm

Hope this helps.

It will be a few days before I am able to watch the Team Parallel Slalom, as I haven't watched any of the Alpine since the Women's Slalom (I'll watch the Women's Super G and the Men's FS this afternoon, as they expire from the On Demand service on Sky today).

I've just reached a resurfacing in the 4 Continents Men's SP. So, I'll take this opportunity to re-start the computer while I have my breakfast.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

When doing my Reminder Post for the Women's Giant Slalom, I put a good luck message at the end for my particular favourites:

(but particularly 🇱🇮 Tina 🇱🇮 , 🇦🇹 Anna 🇦🇹 , 🇸🇪 Estelle 🇸🇪 , 🇨🇿 Ester 🇨🇿 ... yeah, I have a lot of particular favourites! ;) :biggrin: )

CaroLiza_fan

But, things didn't go as well as I hoped for them, so I decided to stop doing it because my best wishes were appearing to jinx them.

Oh, how glad am I that I did! Because I just watched the Super G!

Giant SlalomSuper G
🇱🇮 Tina 🇱🇮22[SUP]nd[/SUP]
3[SUP]rd[/SUP]
🇦🇹 Anna 🇦🇹12[SUP]th[/SUP]2[SUP]nd[/SUP]
🇸🇪 Estelle 🇸🇪16[SUP]th[/SUP]N/A
🇨🇿 Ester 🇨🇿23[SUP]rd[/SUP]1[SUP]st[/SUP]

Estelle didn’t do the Super G, but the other three all ended up on the podium!!!

What an achievement for Ester. After seeing what she has done in the Alpine Skiing World Cup so far this season, I was expecting her to get some good results. Maybe a Top 10. But, I never would have dreamt that she would win one of the ski races.

Of course, with Tina being my favourite Alpine Skiier, I was delighted when she took the early lead. But, I wasn't entirely disappointed when Fenni took the lead from her. Because, it would have been a great achievement for her to retain her crown, especially after everything she has been through the past couple of years.

I was watching the coverage as if it was LIVE. So, I had Eurosport playing on the TV, and the World Feed coverage playing on the computer so that I could switch over during the ads. When I switched over and heard Charlie Brougham and whoever it was with him going on about how Fenni had won, I was getting so angry. Because I hate it when people assume that the later starters aren't going to do anything. Surprise results can happy, and they have done before. So, I was very smug when Ester came down shortly afterwards, and proved everybody wrong.

I had to laugh. During the first part of Ester's run, Nick Fellows and Emma Carrick-Anderson were repeating their discussion from one of the previous races about how they were always told to stay away from snowboards because you can develop bad habits. And then the split time came up, and that stopped them in their tracks, and they started paying attention to what was going on. And after she crossed the line, Nick was going wild, while Emma was just speechless.

It was so refreshing to see Ester's reaction when she saw the time. I have never seen anybody be so shocked at winning. She just couldn't comprehend it at all. The first thing she said was "It must be a mistake" (which was actually possible given how close it was). And then when it sunk in "How did that happen?!"

I liked the girl before, but that endeared her to me even more.

You know, now that I know that she won a ski race, I am kinda relieved that I am watching things in order. Because, I probably would have found out about her ski win before I saw it. (I have been doing very well avoiding spoilers!)

Now I can't wait to get the Alpine Skiing races finished so that I can go onto the Alpine Snowboarding and see if she can do the unthinkable and win in two different sports.

CaroLiza_fan