Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan?

Elsie

Rinkside
Chapter #1.........I had actually gone to see Tonya Harding at Skate Canada way back in 1992. Unfortunately, Tonya was out of shape and skated badly. However, there was a skater from Moscow who showed up wearing a Neon Pink Skirted Unitard....Her hair was long and amber back then. No one in the audience, including myself had ever heard of her. She ended up winning the event and from that moment on, I began to follow her career. She had so many ups and downs during her career and one of things I truly admired about her was her fierce determination to continue after she was dropped from the Russian Team due to her poor performances in 1993. This is the first time I ever saw Maria perform live...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9yRZOapKc

Here's a recent photo of Maria looking relaxed and beautiful......http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5905372/516full-maria-butyrskaya.jpg

I wish I could have seen her in the flesh when she was still skating. I saw her for the first time on TV when she already had her shorter haircut, which I think looks better on her. As I didn't get into figure skating until 1998 or so, I didn't even know she existed before that time, and I knew nothing about what she had already accomplished. But 1998-1999 happened to be when she was at her very best, so I thought she had always been skating like that, which wasn't true. She was a late-bloomer.

I guess it is safe to say that Maria was the skater who first attracted me to figure skating. There was something about the way she moved across the ice that forced me to keep watching, even if she didn't always make her jumps. Actually, clean programs rarely occurred in the late 90s so it was normal to see even the best skaters fall or step out of their jumps. I didn't make much of it.

For the longest time I believed she was very tall because her legs are so skinny it looks as if they are very long. It wasn't until another skinny-legged skater called Medvedeva came unto the scene that I read something about Maria being quite small but she appeared to be much taller than she actually is.

Maria is indeed a very beautiful woman. She was able to highlight all her feminine features on the ice like no one else could. I remember all the commentators saying that she was the only skater who looked and skated like a woman and not like a teenage girl.

Elsie

Rinkside
:laugh2:

Someone is preparing to bomb you. KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Maria is awesome. Outside her skating....... oldest Lady World Champion, (maybe just oldest WC, period?) best legs in the business, married someone 10 years younger, and, congratulations, just had her third child this last May, at almost 45. She la bomb! A beautiful national, European and world champion.

What is she doing now? Coaching? I'm sure she has much to teach the younger generation. Maybe not so much on the technical side of skating (Maria's technique was not exactly textbook, although she did have all 6 jumps and her lutz and loop weren't bad at all). But I'd love to see some other skater move in such an elegant way as Maria did, and maybe that's what skaters could learn from her.

Elsie

Rinkside
Here's a good example of Maria's genuine appreciation for her fans.....She stays out on the ice taking flowers "directly" from her fans and just like she did in 1999, she kisses them on the cheek and if these fans are anything like I was, it meant the world to them. This is her LP from the NHK Trophy in 2000, she lands 6 triples and doesn't leave the ice until after the begin to read her scores....This performance was bitter sweet because she loses to country woman Irina but, I focus on the performance only.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dBn64w78w

Is this the only time she managed to pull out the triple as the second jump in her sequence with the Euler? I'm almost certain that every other time she only managed a double, or at least she never fully rotated the triple if she attempted it and often fell on the ice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is this the only time she managed to pull out the triple as the second jump in her sequence with the Euler? I'm almost certain that every other time she only managed a double, or at least she never fully rotated the triple if she attempted it and often fell on the ice.

She actually landed it for the last time at Worlds that same season. Although she missed her second Lutz, she landed six triples at Worlds in 2001 and finished 4th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5v0sEgWY-E

Elsie

Rinkside
Oh, I found this. She landed the second triple several times (up until 2002 so it seems) but not without effort, and most attempts failed. Again, this shows her determination. She knew she only had a small chance of landing it and still she kept putting it in her programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN5cFTarbn4

Based on this video, her best 3-Euler-3 sequence was at 2001 Worlds.

Apparently, she even practiced the triple axel, which is amazing for someone who already struggles with most of her jumps in general. You have to give it to her for trying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgbtAGaDfA

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maria has the most beautiful looooong legs but I think they are disadvantageous to her jumps. Low centre of gravity like that of Shoma works much better.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm a TOTAL Butyrskaya fan.

Her arms locked behind her back when spinning were a fave of mine (I remember trying it on the ice right after I saw her do it). And her general disdain for juvenile little girl skaters instead of strong, mature woman! :laugh:

I was super happy for her when she won her World title. And she was always quite elegant to watch, even if sometimes her jumps were a bit awkward.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OK time to admit, I've always secretly been a Maria B fan.

The way that she carried herself as a woman on the ice was like no other.

Sassy, glam, and so very nonchalant. :points:

(plus, I've always been drawn to the rebels, since that's how I tended to work. ;))

mrrice

Record Breaker

Elsie

Rinkside
Maybe her fragile legs didn't allow her to push herself up high enough to comfortably rotate her triple jumps? And her messy landings might also have been less messy if she had had something stronger to land on.

Oftentimes it seems as if her legs would break when she landed, that's how thin they were. But somehow I can't imagine Maria without those "sticks". It's what made her so beautiful. Like I said, I was convinced she was super tall until I read about a year ago that she really isn't but her legs fooled us all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe her fragile legs didn't allow her to push herself up high enough to comfortably rotate her triple jumps? And her messy landings might also have been less messy if she had had something stronger to land on.

Oftentimes it seems as if her legs would break when she landed, that's how thin they were. But somehow I can't imagine Maria without those "sticks". It's what made her so beautiful. Like I said, I was convinced she was super tall until I read about a year ago that she really isn't but her legs fooled us all.

Her legs are proportionally long, giving her a high centre of gravity which makes for less stability and more difficult balance. I don't think hers are overly thin or stick like. Chinese Pairs girls who were World Champions and Olympic medalists were very thin but very strong and steady also. Maria looked to me like she was on stilts at times, and like a thoroughbred at other times. :) But always beautiful.

Elsie

Rinkside
Her legs are proportionally long, giving her a high centre of gravity which makes for less stability and more difficult balance. I don't think hers are overly thin or stick like. Chinese Pairs girls who were World Champions and Olympic medalists were very thin but very strong and steady also. Maria looked to me like she was on stilts at times, and like a thoroughbred at other times. :) But always beautiful.

I had to look up 'thoroughbred' (I'm not a native English speaker). Well, I wouldn't have compared her to a horse, but I see what you mean!

Many of her jumps tended to go off axis so I guess you're right about her high center of gravity and difficulty of balance. Although, Tonya Harding always had her final rotation going severely off axis too and it never seemed to bother her. Of course, she had much stronger legs than Maria's.

The thing is, when Maria landed her jumps they were a marvel of beauty, stiff knees or not, and I don't care what anyone else says.

starla16

Medalist
Bless her now, didn't she get married to her boytoy hockey player partner and just gave birth to her 3rd child this year.

Elsie

Rinkside
This is a Russian video where you can see Maria in a training outfit and also with her "boy toy" husband (fast forward to 7:30 minutes) and two of her children. I didn't know she had a third child?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGL2aQKuPd4

She appears to be coaching some young skaters in the beginning part of the video.

starla16

Medalist
This is a Russian video where you can see Maria in a training outfit and also with her "boy toy" husband (fast forward to 7:30 minutes) and two of her children. I didn't know she had a third child?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGL2aQKuPd4

She appears to be coaching some young skaters in the beginning part of the video.

I read an article she gave birth this year to her 3rd child, can't find it now but its also in her wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Butyrskaya

mrrice

Record Breaker