Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
this is potentially one of my fave threads ever here - I'll be getting back here to get some rest after all negativity spread over other topics...

and I'll definitely reserve some time to get into Maria's skating as it is fascinating to read the discussion:)

Elsie

Rinkside
I would love to know what actual skaters think of her and how they rank her among other World and European champions. I'm just an admirer and an spectator. I don't skate myself.

How a skater comes across with other skaters and with non-skaters can be quite different, I suppose. I don't see all the technical shortcomings and mistakes, unless they are really obvious like a wrong edge for a lutz or something like that, or if there's a fall or a hand on the ice. But the smaller stuff I don't really notice, and I know nothing about step sequences and such. Maria had the advantage of presenting herself in a really seductive way in her own unique style, which compensated for her technical faults to some extent. Sometimes I wonder if I was misled by that. But then I think she must have had decent jumps and spins or she wouldn't have ended up winning so many important titles including the World Championships. Other skaters of her generation like Tatiana Malinina, who had textbook jumps, did not have so much success and are mostly forgotten now, so Maria's personality and her presentation must have made a huge difference. It certainly had a great impact on me.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would love to know what actual skaters think of her and how they rank her among other World and European champions. I'm just an admirer and an spectator. I don't skate myself.

How a skater comes across with other skaters and with non-skaters can be quite different, I suppose. I don't see all the technical shortcomings and mistakes, unless they are really obvious like a wrong edge for a lutz or something like that, or if there's a fall or a hand on the ice. But the smaller stuff I don't really notice, and I know nothing about step sequences and such. Maria had the advantage of presenting herself in a really seductive way in her own unique style, which compensated for her technical faults to some extent. Sometimes I wonder if I was misled by that. But then I think she must have had decent jumps and spins or she wouldn't have ended up winning so many important titles including the World Championships. Other skaters of her generation like Tatiana Malinina, who had textbook jumps, did not have so much success and are mostly forgotten now, so Maria's personality and her presentation must have made a huge difference. It certainly had a great impact on me.

I can only say from watching them together at Worlds in 1999. Maria and Tatiana spent the entire practice session talking and joking with each other. I think they were actually good friends although I can't say for sure.

Elsie

Rinkside
Actually, I liked Tatiana Malinina a lot too but for different reasons. Mostly I felt sorry for her because she had an almost impeccable jumping technique but she wasn't coached well and had almost zero choreography in her programs. It was such a waste of talent. I also remember one of her last performances where she fell on practically every jump and even in between jumps, and she went off the ice crying. This was shortly after her coach had died in a car accident, I think. Sad story.

I knew Tatiana was originally from Russia but I didn't know she was friends with Maria.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I liked her programs. She wasn't my favourite skater ever, but I enjoyed watching her. One of the nicest surprises was her 1998 Euros win.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
I like her. I've watched a few of her programs and they were good. I'm not a huge fan by any means but I still like her. She's my fav russian skater after Elena and Alina.

artsciboy

On the Ice
[/B]

I can only say from watching them together at Worlds in 1999. Maria and Tatiana spent the entire practice session talking and joking with each other. I think they were actually good friends although I can't say for sure.

I believe they were definitely friends. At the 2001 NHK when Maria controversially lost to Irina, as she sadly walked towards backstage you can see Tatiana going to her to express either her own shock at the outcome or to comfort Maria.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Maria is one of the most beautiful skaters to have ever graced this sport. What I love about her programs now is noticing just how differently they were composed compared to most programs. There were moments in her LPs where I'm surprised at the layout or a bit of choreography I didn't expect to happen there. Her 1999 Worlds and 2001 Worlds LPs are just real highlights for me.

Regarding Tatiana Malinina, it is sad that someone with that jumping technique did not achieve more due to circumstances beyond her control. That said, I will always remember a highlight at 2001 NHK where she realized she qualified for the GPF during the very important Olympic season. That was a case of pure joy and humor (her saying she has to find a second program because GPFs back then required skaters to perform two LPs) that I will never forget.

https://youtu.be/-IUA51ukhuU?t=427

Elsie

Rinkside
Maria and Tatiana stood out from the rest because they were both "old". Both of them peaked in their late twenties. I think Tatiana even said once that she felt so comfortable with her jumps that she saw herself still doing them at age 40, but then she retired around the same time Maria did. It would have been something if she had managed to compete until her 40s! But that never happens, does it?

If they were such good friends, couldn't Maria have given her some tips for making better programs? The jumps were all in place so all Tatiana had to do was add a choreography. Any choreography! (all her programs had almost none)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
More than MRRICE were or are fans of Maria B. I liked her because she skates likea woman. And though she was vulnerable she fought and was tough. I honestly thought she was beautiful though I was not a huge fan of her outfits. I wish she had a new dress for Otonal when she finally won that world gold - my mom use to joke is that girl so poor she can't afford a new dress - back then I think you could do 3 Grand Prix.

There was something elegant and real about her. And I have to say when she won in 1999 she beat Michelle Kwan fair and square. It is kind of sad she never won an Olympic medal.

LeReveur

On the Ice
In terms of executing choreography, Maria may be my favorite skater of all time. She was classical, elegant, sexy, flirtatious, sensual, dramatic, and more... sometimes all at the same time! I have to admit that I was also attracted to her for her beauty and many of her costumes. I think one reason she pulled off so many programs is because she had influence on the choreography and the costumes, so there wasn't anything fake in her skating at all.

BIG, BIG fan here.

At the time I preferred Irina but now I appreciate watching Maria. Such a graceful, stylish, elegant skater. Wonderful, natural mover and a real diva!

Maria is also to be admired because she faced an uphill struggle every step of the way. The Russian Skating Federation did not support her, even though she won 6 national titles. She also had personal issues to fight through. Someone blew up her car on the eve of the 1999 Russian Championship. (I'm not saying it was Piseev. :) ) There was also an incident where she lost all the prize money that the Federation was holding for her, when the bank suddenly went bankrupt under fishy circumstances. ( I don't remember the details of this incident. (?) )

Elsie

Rinkside
Something Maria was also notorious for were her nasty falls. But she always got up immediately and pretended like nothing ever happened. I loved her for that!

Also, commentators in general were not very nice to her while commenting on her programs. Which I don't understand because her artistry was unmatched and I'm still waiting for another skater to even come close to her but I don't think it will happen any time soon (if ever). There's too much emphasis on acrobatics now. But where are the beautiful lines that Maria was able to make with her arms and legs? Where is the sensuality?

One wonders how some of the current skaters can get perfect 10s for presentation when they clearly are nowhere near the level that Maria was. If she was skating today and I were a judge, she would get all 11s from me.

Ender

Match Penalty
In terms of executing choreography, Maria may be my favorite skater of all time. She was classical, elegant, sexy, flirtatious, sensual, dramatic, and more... sometimes all at the same time! I have to admit that I was also attracted to her for her beauty and many of her costumes. I think one reason she pulled off so many programs is because she had influence on the choreography and the costumes, so there wasn't anything fake in her skating at all.

BIG, BIG fan here.
Her pink eh... costume a long time ago still haunted me. I dare not look it up on YouTube again.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I think one reason Maria moved so well is because she liked to go out dancing; her feeling for music is innate and personal. She had a real interest in how she looked.

American TV didn't really treat her well, even if Peter Carruthers would at times slip in remarks about her sexiness, but American viewers did sometimes get translated interviews where her sensuality comes through. She had a way with smiling and winking at the camera ;).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maria was great! When she won worlds in 1999? Terrific. The only problem is that she was inconsistent and then she'd be overshadowed by Skutskaya and never maintain momentum.

humbaba

Final Flight
Maria was my favorite Russian lady of that era. She somehow seemed fragile and strong at the same time. I remember she had a strong fashion sense and designed her own costumes. I always looked forward to seeing what she was going to wear. I especially loved the dark purple dress with the pink underskirt.