Austman and Daleman withdraw from Skate Canada | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Austman and Daleman withdraw from Skate Canada

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
TAT's interview https://fs-gossips.com/tatiana-tara...psychological-problems-and-i-understand-them/

Tatiana Tarasova: Many Girls From Canada And America Have Some Psychological Problems And I Understand Them :scratch2:

"Now a lot of girls from Canada and America have some psychological problems. And I can understand them, because the technical component increases greatly, because our 14 year old girls jump quads, Tuktamysheva restored her triple axel. Of course, psychologically it is hard. It is necessary to keep your weight, not only keep it, but also reduce it. Because without this it is impossible to jump multi-rotational jumps. Of course, their psyche was thinning. Therefore, many (3 people from the world’s leading single skaters that’s a lot) got to different clinical departments in their countries in order to be treated from the depression they had. Because the loads are very big and very little can be eaten. And you watch how others skate and understand that even if you don’t drink water, you won’t be able to do it anyway."

Wait one minute. Is Tat suggesting skaters see quads/3As emerging, can't perform them due to their weight, and this causes them to have depression/anxiety issues?:unsure: :frown:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sure there are several high profile NA skaters right now who have taken time off due to mental health reasons, but to suggest that this is only a North American phenomenon or that it's even new is ridiculous. Yulia Lipnitsksya quit the sport after the Sochi games due to an eating disorder and unless I'm remembering wrong (I totally could be) there was at least one other high profile Russian woman who also spoke out her struggles with mental health issues.

I think the big difference is that there is currently a push towards reducing the stigma around mental illness in North America. It's starting to be seen as less of a moral failing or inherent weakness and more like a disease that can be treated and cured. This means that more skaters are taking the time to look after themselves and talk about their mental health struggles as opposed to powering through and ignoring them.

1. That's not all she's ever said.
2. The implications of what she's saying are garbage.
3. No one REALLY needs to start a Twitter campaign. That was a joke. But people calling for someone powerful to correct the way they do and say things when they influence so much isn't "cyber bullying" either. Trump isn't getting "cyber bullied" when people call him out on his bs on Twitter, for instance. She clearly knows very little about mental health; she should perhaps shut up. Her armchair prognosis is unneeded.

TGee

Record Breaker
1. That's not all she's ever said.
2. The implications of what she's saying are garbage.
3. No one REALLY needs to start a Twitter campaign. That was joke. But people calling for someone powerful to correct the way they do and say things when they influence so much isn't "cyber bullying" either. Trump isn't getting "cyber bullied" when people call him out on his bs on Twitter, for instance. She clearly knows very little about mental health; she should perhaps shut up. Her armchair prognosis is unneeded.
Thank you [emoji253][emoji255][emoji257][emoji890][emoji259][emoji272][emoji816][emoji258]🥀

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Wait one minute. Is Tat suggesting skaters see quads/3As emerging, can't perform them due to their weight, and this causes them to have depression/anxiety issues?:unsure: :frown:

She is clearly trying to push her own agenda with her apathetic and condescending attitude towards both the physical and mental health of the skaters. It would sure be toxic if skaters valued their health as little as her words indicate and think that they are just pawns of competition.

With that said, congrats to Alicia and Veronique. With their showings at ACI and Finlandia, they are fully deserving substitutes. And what an honour to skate in front of family and friends, as well as their many fans. Larkyn and Gabby will be missed but they are taking the necessary time for their healths and will no doubt come back stronger :).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tat's comment about drinking water is another strange thing about Russian training practices. They actually limit the amount of water their skaters are allowed to drink while practicing. That can actually be dangerous to health, since even in a cold rink, skaters will perspire when exercising, and it is important to maintain the level of water in the body or those of potassium and sodium can get out of balance with potentially dire results.