Canadian skating going forward | Golden Skate

Canadian skating going forward

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
More than any other country, Canada has a huge changing of the guard and challenge going forward. Although they do seem to have numerous promising up and comers which is good. Duhamel & Radford, Virtue & Moir, Chan are all 100% retired and done with amateur skating for good after these Games. There isnt even a sliver of a chance any of those would even attempt a comeback at this point (nor frankly would it be a good idea for any of them, only V&M to some extent but even they would probably be greeted with a somewhat lukewarm to negative reception if they dared make an other comeback). So it is time to move forward with the next generations. And as a huge Canadian skating fan I think that is a good thing, and as much as I will miss that golden generation, their going out with a Team Gold, and some more individual medals, and even another Oly Gold for V&M, is the perfect ending for the group.

Pairs- Sequin & Bilodeau are the ones with the most potential IMO. If they stay healthy I truly believe they have medal contending potential. They even looked to be rising to that place 2 years ago before all the injuries stalled their progress and momentum. They have the technical ability, they dont exactly stand out technically in the field today but they are strong enough to be competitive; and most of all they have the style, look, programs, and chemistry needed to be contenders. I think the judges love the beauty of their look together, and if they can stay healthy and be more consistent they could get up there. Moore-Towers & Marinaro are coming together in a big way right now. I am less sure on their potential to be future medalists, but I could see them maybe pushing for a top 5 finish at the world level someday. And some very promising junior teams.

Men- I think Nguyen is finally back on track, and I think if he can stay healthy and keep working on his artistry he has potential to get amongst the elite. A lot of the top guys could be retiring, and he has very strong jump technique and technical ability. He has to improve his consistency and PCS but it cant be done, he has the talent. Not sure if there is as much up and coming strength here as the other events though. The elusive Oly singles mens gold at the Olympics will probably be waiting quite awhile longer.

Dance- Here there are numerous major youngers to look at with Soucisse & Firus and Lajoie & Lagha, both who I think have potentials to rise and be contenders on the world stage by the next Olympics. There is also still the veterans Weaver & Poje though whose time in the spotlight was cut short by Virtue & Moir and their surprise return, and they might feel they have more to give as well, and they still could have more to achieve, particularly going back to Canadian #1 for awhile should they stay. Gilles & Poirier I guess shouldnt be totally discounted, but of all these teams I think they are the least likely to ever be real contenders. Still lots of depth and options here, Soucisse & Firus especialy I am super high on the potential of.

Ladies- The future here is bright and it is one event there is very little turnover. Osmond, Daleman, Chartrand are all still young and all have potential to keep improving and still be contenders numerous more years, but there are even some younger skaters on the rise behind them. Osmond especialy I think still has a further peak she could reach, I definitely think she is a potential future gold medalist despite being a so called middle aged skater now.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Also Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be skating for Canada, although not on the international circuit until 4CC/worlds (if they make the team). I haven't been following them that closely though so I can't say much about them, but I believe they will continue to improve. As of now, they sit behind Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier for sure, but I'm not sure how they compare to Soucisse/Firus (don't know enough about S/F's results to make a good comparison)

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Also Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be skating for Canada, although not on the international circuit until 4CC/worlds (if they make the team). I haven't been following them that closely though so I can't say much about them, but I believe they will continue to improve. As of now, they sit behind Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier for sure, but I'm not sure how they compare to Soucisse/Firus (don't know enough about S/F's results to make a good comparison)

Ooops forgot that. I expect them to pass Gilles & Poirier quite quickly. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen from a federation as strong as Skate Canada would probably have already been above them. I think Soucisse & Firus will pass Gilles & Poirier quite fast too, probably even next season. Although I concede I am not, and never was, a Gilles & Poirier fan, but I am similarily not a fan of Chen and I am still predicting him to be the #1 guy in the world for atleast the next couple seasons so I think I am capable of being objective and I really dont see G&P trending upwards going forward.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
this coming season. They can begin competing internationally for Canada starting from 4CC this coming season

Terrific! I hope they make the Worlds team. They are so talented and beautiful. Nikolaj is the nicest guy ever and so handsome.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Brasseur/Bardei will make their pairs debut as seniors this fall. I think they have been working quietly behind the scene while he waits out his year after leaving the Ukraine. He and his former partner were 4th at Junior Worlds in 2016 and Justine is a strong pairs skater so it will be interesting to see how well they perform. They could very well be a factor by 2022.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Brasseur/Bardei will make their pairs debut as seniors this fall. I think they have been working quietly behind the scene while he waits out his year after leaving the Ukraine. He and his former partner were 4th at Junior Worlds in 2016 and Justine is a strong pairs skater so it will be interesting to see how well they perform. They could very well be a factor by 2022.

Any relation to Isabell Brasseur (I know unlikely, but I had to ask).

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Brasseur was one of my all time favorite pairs skaters. I know she wasnt the most naturally talented overall (although her talent is underrated, and she had to pretty darn amazing in some respects to pull off the amazing lifts and twists she did with Lloyd with he never could with his previous partners) and that was one aspect of her incredible charm. I would love to see another Brasseur shine bigtime.

stormblade

Rinkside
Keeping my eye out on Brian Orser's Canadian wild child - Stephen Gogolev. His technical ability at his age has terrifying potential. I expect him to make some waves in the junior circuit over the next quad. Perhaps we'll even see him as early as Beijing.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Keeping my eye out on Brian Orser's Canadian wild child - Stephen Gogolev. His technical ability at his age has terrifying potential. I expect him to make some waves in the junior circuit over the next quad. Perhaps we'll even see him as early as Beijing.

I saw him at nationals and that kid can jump. If his skating skills improve, he'll be right there in Beijing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Joseph Phan could be the next big thing from Canada. With Patrick, Kevin, and Keegan getting older, I think he could win Championships in 2019.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
re: Justine Brasseur

Well then you are really in luck because Isabelle's daughter Gabrielle Marvaldi, who is only slightly older than Justine, is also skating pairs for Canada now.

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm actually going to root for Gilles & Poirier whose Olympic free dance I thought was stunning. They still need more difficult transitions and have more choreography that is in time with the music, but they have potential for being the top Canadian ice dancers.

I'm still waiting for Nam Nguyen to mature as a skater, but I think he has the ability to land the quad and triple axel with some measure of consistency. I'm holding out for Liam Firus to prove himself because when he's on, he's really on with his jump landings. Just a shame what happened at Nationals for him since I still think he's had the best version of a La La Land program that I've seen.

As for pairs, I'm not sure. I like Seguin/Bilodeau for their relative consistency and their pleasant programs, but I haven't seem them improve that much in regards to the GOE of their elements. Moore-Towers/Marinaro have just about the same potential so it's going to be an interesting battle between them in the coming quad.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm actually going to root for Gilles & Poirier whose Olympic free dance I thought was stunning. They still need more difficult transitions and have more choreography that is in time with the music, but they have potential for being the top Canadian ice dancers.

I'm still waiting for Nam Nguyen to mature as a skater, but I think he has the ability to land the quad and triple axel with some measure of consistency. I'm holding out for Liam Firus to prove himself because when he's on, he's really on with his jump landings. Just a shame what happened at Nationals for him since I still think he's had the best version of a La La Land program that I've seen.

As for pairs, I'm not sure. I like Seguin/Bilodeau for their relative consistency and their pleasant programs, but I haven't seem them improve that much in regards to the GOE of their elements. Moore-Towers/Marinaro have just about the same potential so it's going to be an interesting battle between them in the coming quad.

Liam has retired.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Curious about the ladies and ice dance going forward. No depth in ladies at all, and what if osmond and Daleman retire? Both have been to two Olympics. Will weaver and poje stick it out ?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Curious about the ladies and ice dance going forward. No depth in ladies at all, and what if osmond and Daleman retire? Both have been to two Olympics. Will weaver and poje stick it out ?

When has there ever been real depth in Canadian ladies though? It's not exactly a new problem. They've both said they want to continue for now, although Kaetlyn said she wasn't sure if she'd go for another Olympic cycle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabby stay until 2022 from what I've heard.