Canadian skating going forward | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian skating going forward

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm actually going to root for Gilles & Poirier whose Olympic free dance I thought was stunning. They still need more difficult transitions and have more choreography that is in time with the music, but they have potential for being the top Canadian ice dancers.

I'm still waiting for Nam Nguyen to mature as a skater, but I think he has the ability to land the quad and triple axel with some measure of consistency. I'm holding out for Liam Firus to prove himself because when he's on, he's really on with his jump landings. Just a shame what happened at Nationals for him since I still think he's had the best version of a La La Land program that I've seen.

As for pairs, I'm not sure. I like Seguin/Bilodeau for their relative consistency and their pleasant programs, but I haven't seem them improve that much in regards to the GOE of their elements. Moore-Towers/Marinaro have just about the same potential so it's going to be an interesting battle between them in the coming quad.

IMO, S/B have the potential to be World medalists while I'd be surprised if MT/M ever got better than 5th, if that.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
In men there are a few youngsters and each one can get far, as long as they stay healthy. Maybe the field is a bit too large: Nam, Roman, Nicolas, Joseph, maybe Conrad.
In women, I think Kaetlyn, Gaby, Alaine are still young. From the youngsters, Aurora Cotop looks good, but she has to learn to compete on big stages.
Dance looks OK, though progression in dance looks stale and I don't see a revolution. I love Piper and Paul and I hope they keep skating.
In pairs I hope Seguin/Bilodeau stay healthy, and some youngsters come quite strong. The element that is not as good in Canadian teams is 3twist. The Russians seem to have a better technique. S/B have good 3Tw, but not spectacular, like Savchenko/Massot.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Keeping my eye out on Brian Orser's Canadian wild child - Stephen Gogolev. His technical ability at his age has terrifying potential. I expect him to make some waves in the junior circuit over the next quad. Perhaps we'll even see him as early as Beijing.

I think he is the Canadian male answer to Eteri's Russian female youngsters. I just hope all those quads at such a young age don't take a physical toll on his body before he has the opportunity to grow into a truly great all-around skater.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Seguin/Bilodeau and Moore-Towers/Marinaro both have had to sit out parts of various seasons due to concussions and injuries. If they're healthy they will work on improving and upgrading their elements. They've come far with what they can do, however.

There is one Alison Schumacher who dipped under the radar at Nationals this season but she's decent. She has her triples and can put out a clean skate from time to time though she's lacking a 3-3. Can do 2A-3T and 3-2-2. If she stops splitting time on pairs she could rise up the Canadian ranks.

Stephen's training is modified so he stops jumping if he's feeling discomfort. He's had a lot waiting around to do because of his age so I imagine the pace of his training isn't crazy. Brian's not that kind of coach anyways, even with his top skaters.

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
Seguin/Bilodeau and Moore-Towers/Marinaro both have had to sit out parts of various seasons due to concussions and injuries. If they're healthy they will work on improving and upgrading their elements. They've come far with what they can do, however.

There is one Alison Schumacher who dipped under the radar at Nationals this season but she's decent. She has her triples and can put out a clean skate from time to time though she's lacking a 3-3. Can do 2A-3T and 3-2-2. If she stops splitting time on pairs she could rise up the Canadian ranks.

Stephen's training is modified so he stops jumping if he's feeling discomfort. He's had a lot waiting around to do because of his age so I imagine the pace of his training isn't crazy. Brian's not that kind of coach anyways, even with his top skaters.

is stephen feeling discomfort jumping quads? oh that's sad :( he has half a year before jgp. i hope he will handle with all issues. i was just thinking about how crazy might be his score for the free program next year if he manages to do clean every learned quad

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
is stephen feeling discomfort jumping quads? oh that's sad :( he has half a year before jgp. i hope he will handle with all issues. i was just thinking about how crazy might be his score for the free program next year if he manages to do clean every learned quad

I'm not sure if it's quads or injuries in general. Or even growing pains. Just when he's not feeling well they focus on things other than jumps.

His best junior FS score was 158.47, from sectionals in 2016. The protocol is archived online.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keeping my eye out on Brian Orser's Canadian wild child - Stephen Gogolev. His technical ability at his age has terrifying potential. I expect him to make some waves in the junior circuit over the next quad. Perhaps we'll even see him as early as Beijing.
If his development continues apace, I'd be amazed if he wasn't on the team in Beijing.

When has there ever been real depth in Canadian ladies though? It's not exactly a new problem.
Yeah, even having skaters of Kaetlyn and Gabby's caliber at the same time is anomalous.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Does anyone know why Lubov and Dylan are not going to the worlds? I though they were first alternatives?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know why Lubov and Dylan are not going to the worlds? I though they were first alternatives?

Probably injury. He was injured in some non-skating related accident in December. They were probably named as an alternate after Nationals because it was hoped that he would recover and be able to go if there was an opening.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Probably injury. He was injured in some non-skating related accident in December. They were probably named as an alternate after Nationals because it was hoped that he would recover and be able to go if there was an opening.

aw that's so sad! Wishing him all the best :ghug:

LadyB

Record Breaker

I can't wait to see him internationally during next Junior season. He's an absolute talent and he's in the best hands imaginable. Fingers crossed he gets through puberty alright. I'm already routing for him. Joseph Phan will be another one to watch. I'm a bit sad for Roman Sadovsky, I think he'll go down the same route as Nam. Don't get me wrong, I love Nam and he was an incredible talent as a youngster. He has bounced back and I like what he does, but he'll never become a Patrick, Kurt, Elvis or Brian.

I totally love Gilles/Poirier and I think they eventually put themselves on the map at Olys. They are so refreshingly different and innovative. You can really see the fun in their faces when they are dancing. Onwards and upwards, I'm a big fan!

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
I'm not sure if it's quads or injuries in general. Or even growing pains. Just when he's not feeling well they focus on things other than jumps.

His best junior FS score was 158.47, from sectionals in 2016. The protocol is archived online.

wow!! impressive score and this is just with one quad! can you imagine if there will be quad lutz, quad toeloop and two quad sal??? amazing! but the health is much more important, i totally agree! i believe brian will find a key to do everything fine.

nadster

Final Flight
Yes , Canada will have 14 JGP spots next year.

The nice thing is that the skaters you mentioned will now get JGP spots instead of just getting the Junior Autumn Classic.

Our junior autumn classic does gives our skaters a chance to make JW minimums but otherwise is a poor competition experience wise as our boys don't get good competition there. Basically nobody of quality from other countries shows up.

I wonder if Phan will go senior next season ( I think he will ). Even if he stays junior internationally next year he must be given a senior B.

trevortryst

Match Penalty
Dance is the most unpredictable of all. Will Weaver & Poje continue for 2022, especialy still not having an Olympic medal. Will Gilles & Poirier rise or fall backwards. How good are the up and comers. The only sure thing is Canada will continue to be pretty strong there, regardless who the top Canadian(s) are.

Ladies is in great hands. I think all the top ladies are planning to continue another quad.

Mens is a total mess in the forseeable future.

Pairs seems in good hands, although it might take awhile to get back in the medals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pairs seems in good hands, although it might take awhile to get back in the medals.
Yeah, I expect Julianne and Charlie will absolutely be podium contenders in Beijing. It will probably just take another season or two to get them to that point.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is Roxanne Rheault retired from figure skating???
And does anyone know if Kaetlyn and Gabby are going to continue next season? Both have already been to two Olympics.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Just re watched this phenom on Youtube from the Canadian FS Championsips 2018. Looking forward to seeing more of him. Thank goodness Brian is his coach!

kresslia

Medalist
Is Roxanne Rheault retired from figure skating???
And does anyone know if Kaetlyn and Gabby are going to continue next season? Both have already been to two Olympics.
I think Kaetlyn said she would take it year by year with regards to the next Olympics but plans to continue.

Unsure about Gabby but I feel, knowing her, she won't want that last skate to be her final Olympic performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As we move into the next quadrenniel Canada has some huge shoes to fill.

In pairs,they may be losing a spot. Julie and Charlie have not developed as well or as fast as first thought and hoped - injuries and what not. They are pretty solid but aren't overly stylistically talented or have the hugest tricks. Moore Towers and Marinaro have improved but seem to hit a plateau. One wonders if she had stayed with Dylan and he wasn't injured they may have won olympic bronze. This is life. People forget that Savchenko could have ended up like Dylan or Kavaguti or simple no gold or any medal. It worked for her but not Moore Towers, Dylan, Kavaguti.

The men are leaderless. Nam never developed the way some thought he would. He has not matured artistically and he has not improved his skating skills or jump content - mainly due to growth one assumes. Keegan is interesting but doesn't seem to have huge future. They have some up and coming men but itwill be tough if Keegan and Nam cannot figure out how to get two spots for the Canadians. it is silly to think of Stephen G at 13 with Orser. It will be a while and who knows how he will develop - granted he has a better chance of improving with strength unlike the ladies where puberty or curves can kill you. The dance still has a chance but we need a clear leader. Weaver and Poje need an overhall and a new statement program. This team breaks my heart as they often end in that horrible position - second or fourth. At times Gilles and Porier look like they were moving ahead of WP but then they slip up and fall back again. S/F and the Danes will be freshblood and hope.

the ladies right now is Gabby and Kaetlyn. Sadly, right now the world has given up on Alaine. She had her chance and she blew it. Not a lot of hope after Daleman and Osmond. Larkyn was or is a lark. And the others are not contenders.