Canadian skating going forward | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Canadian skating going forward

Haleth

On the Ice
The men are leaderless. Nam never developed the way some thought he would. He has not matured artistically and he has not improved his skating skills or jump content - mainly due to growth one assumes. Keegan is interesting but doesn't seem to have huge future. They have some up and coming men but itwill be tough if Keegan and Nam cannot figure out how to get two spots for the Canadians. it is silly to think of Stephen G at 13 with Orser. It will be a while and who knows how he will develop - granted he has a better chance of improving with strength unlike the ladies where puberty or curves can kill you.

Orser also broke with Nam, from what I've heard, because Nam's father was too domineering? If so, that lack of patience on the father's part may have cost Nam guidance from one of the world's best coaches. Of course, no absolute guarantee that even then he'd be performing better.

I'm not sure it's at all "silly" to follow the career of a very promising young skater, especially given the lack of top-level stars in the current crop of senior men, provided one does not assume that Stephen will _certainly_ grow into the next Chan, Fernandez, or Hanyu. People will pay attention to skaters who are doing well; nothing illogical about that impulse alone. He seems to be quite talented and in excellent hands, so in the meantime those who are interested should feel free to cheer him on from the sidelines.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think one of the best things about the up and coming Canadian skaters is their camaraderie. Like if you saw any of the stuff from Junior Worlds you'd know they were having a great time together. Despite missing the podium by a small amount Joseph and Marjorie were just doing hilarious things. They even recruited Mistuki Sumoto and Camden Pulkinen. I know many of them have inside jokes. And they're all supportive of each other. They get excited about international assignments and stuff like winning a small medal. They'll take funny photos after training. They hype each other up. Regardless of what happens in the future they'll have some good friendships from this sport if nothing else.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Orser also broke with Nam, from what I've heard, because Nam's father was too domineering? If so, that lack of patience on the father's part may have cost Nam guidance from one of the world's best coaches. Of course, no absolute guarantee that even then he'd be performing better.

I'm not sure it's at all "silly" to follow the career of a very promising young skater, especially given the lack of top-level stars in the current crop of senior men, provided one does not assume that Stephen will _certainly_ grow into the next Chan, Fernandez, or Hanyu. People will pay attention to skaters who are doing well; nothing illogical about that impulse alone. He seems to be quite talented and in excellent hands, so in the meantime those who are interested should feel free to cheer him on from the sidelines.

I meant we should put all our hope into a young man/boy. He has a lot of growing physically and mentally - remember Tracey Wainman - I read about her and wellwe canonly hope at least with Brian he is in goodh ands.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I worry about the women. After Gabby and Kaetlyn who are no guarantees to continue to Beijing. Noneoftheladies have shown that much promise like Stephen or some of the men. Maybe we can hope Larkyn does better at worlds but she isn't exactly young.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I worry about the women. After Gabby and Kaetlyn who are no guarantees to continue to Beijing. Noneoftheladies have shown that much promise like Stephen or some of the men. Maybe we can hope Larkyn does better at worlds but she isn't exactly young.
Obviously you have to take things one season at a time, but 24/26 (particularly the former age) isn't an especially unusual age to still be in this business, so while I could perhaps imagine one of them retiring, I doubt both would, barring serious injury. There's always the team event to stick around for, if they're looking for motivation.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with ice dance over the next four years. I can't seriously imagine Kaitlyn and Andrew stick it out for another Olympics, but might they stay for another year or two and take a run at one last national title? Piper and Paul, conversely, I imagine will try, particularly as they didn't get to go to Sochi. Then there's Carolane and Shane and the imminent arrival of Laurence and Nikolaj. And Marjorie and Zach have, at most, one more year in juniors before they start trying to move up.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
2015 - Duhamel/Radford
2016 - Duhamel/Radford
2017 - Virtue/Moir
2018 - Kaetlyn Osmond :yahoo:

I say we are in good hands.

kenboy123

On the Ice
After this, I'm worried that Osmond will retire soon, now that she just won worlds, she does not have anything left that she can possibly achieve, an Olympic gold is very unlikely at 26 years old...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After this, I'm worried that Osmond will retire soon, now that she just won worlds, she does not have anything left that she can possibly achieve, an Olympic gold is very unlikely at 26 years old...
You could really have said the same thing after the Olympics, since by her own admission she had no expectation of ever winning a World title (and I don't think that's false modesty). When she committed to go to Worlds, she would have expected Alina and Evgenia to both be there, and in those circumstances she'd have no reasonable expectation of going higher than bronze.

I agree that, to a great extent, the next seasons are just going to be gravy compared to what she's already done, but she evidently loves skating, and will probably be able to keep winning medals for a while yet.

Plus, a Canadian woman has yet to win Four Continents. She'll need to remedy that before she calls it quits, heh.

Ziotic

Medalist
You could really have said the same thing after the Olympics, since by her own admission she had no expectation of ever winning a World title (and I don't think that's false modesty). When she committed to go to Worlds, she would have expected Alina and Evgenia to both be there, and in those circumstances she'd have no reasonable expectation of going higher than bronze.

I agree that, to a great extent, the next seasons are just going to be gravy compared to what she's already done, but she evidently loves skating, and will probably be able to keep winning medals for a while yet.

Plus, a Canadian woman has yet to win Four Continents. She'll need to remedy that before she calls it quits, heh.

Or maybe even GPF. With neither Med or Zag seeded next year things could be very interesting.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Or maybe even GPF. With neither Med or Zag seeded next year things could be very interesting.

Don't forget Montreal Worlds in 2020. Last home worlds in 2013, she got top 10, this time she can do much better.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Now Kirsten, Kaetlyn, and Gabby all need to heal their ankles and come back strong and healthy next season! why do all the non-ID Canadian women that qualified for FS have an injured ankle lol
and everyone else come back strong and healthy too of course

abbykitty

Rinkside
still so happy and proud for Kaetlyn Osmond for winning Canada's first women's World Gold Medal in 45 years! I hope this inspires all the Canadian women to step up their game moving forward. :)

despite the retirements of all the main Canadian stars after Olympics, team Canada looks to be in great shape in the seasons to come.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Canada only lost one spot overall this WC (in pairs) despite the withdrawals of V/M, D/R and Patrick. Is this also only the second year CAN ladies has a three spots? Must give mad props though to those skater rising to the occasion even though some of their teammates did not qualify for the free.

Canada only lost one spot overall this WC (in pairs) despite the withdrawals of V/M, D/R and Patrick. Is this also only the second year CAN ladies has a three spots? Must give mad props though to those skater rising to the occasion even though some of their teammates did not qualify for the free.

In recent history, yes, but I recall back in the early 70s (1971 through 1973) Canada fielded three in the ladies event at Worlds. I really liked Lynn Nightengale's skating - here's her 1973 FS (the same year Karen Magnussen won gold).

Yes , Canada will have 14 JGP spots next year.

The nice thing is that the skaters you mentioned will now get JGP spots instead of just getting the Junior Autumn Classic.

Our junior autumn classic does gives our skaters a chance to make JW minimums but otherwise is a poor competition experience wise as our boys don't get good competition there. Basically nobody of quality from other countries shows up.

I wonder if Phan will go senior next season ( I think he will ). Even if he stays junior internationally next year he must be given a senior B.
The ACI Junior events have reportedly been removed. Sad.

As we move into the next quadrenniel Canada has some huge shoes to fill.

In pairs,they may be losing a spot. Julie and Charlie have not developed as well or as fast as first thought and hoped - injuries and what not. They are pretty solid but aren't overly stylistically talented or have the hugest tricks. Moore Towers and Marinaro have improved but seem to hit a plateau. One wonders if she had stayed with Dylan and he wasn't injured they may have won olympic bronze. This is life. People forget that Savchenko could have ended up like Dylan or Kavaguti or simple no gold or any medal. It worked for her but not Moore Towers, Dylan, Kavaguti.

The men are leaderless. Nam never developed the way some thought he would. He has not matured artistically and he has not improved his skating skills or jump content - mainly due to growth one assumes. Keegan is interesting but doesn't seem to have huge future. They have some up and coming men but itwill be tough if Keegan and Nam cannot figure out how to get two spots for the Canadians. it is silly to think of Stephen G at 13 with Orser. It will be a while and who knows how he will develop - granted he has a better chance of improving with strength unlike the ladies where puberty or curves can kill you. The dance still has a chance but we need a clear leader. Weaver and Poje need an overhall and a new statement program. This team breaks my heart as they often end in that horrible position - second or fourth. At times Gilles and Porier look like they were moving ahead of WP but then they slip up and fall back again. S/F and the Danes will be freshblood and hope.

the ladies right now is Gabby and Kaetlyn. Sadly, right now the world has given up on Alaine. She had her chance and she blew it. Not a lot of hope after Daleman and Osmond. Larkyn was or is a lark. And the others are not contenders.
You have to look in Junior ranks for upcoming stars in Ladies. One young Senior skating well too. After a coaching change post Nationals, I think Alaine is retiring.