Carmen Be Gone and Other Music Don'ts | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Carmen Be Gone and Other Music Don'ts

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
But the implication of your post, given the topic of this thread, was that she "owns" the music because it is associated with her. Danse Macabre is a figure skating warhorse that no one "owns." I personally think skaters should think two or three times before using it, not because it is associated with anyone else, but because it is so overused.

No. I said I associate it with her. I mean when I hear the music, it reminds me of her. Again, personal taste. And again, just an answer to OP who said "it can be something you really love".

No skater 'owns' a piece of music unless he/she wrote it and copyright it. In the future, maybe someone will do a better job and I'll be happy to witness that. That's why I have no problem with overused music because if we ban them then maybe we can't witness someone doing a great performance with it in the future.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Re: "Rondo" did you mean Adelina's LP? The canned electronic version of the Saint-Saens "Rondo Capriccioso?" That one just about turned my ears inside out.

ah yes! that's what I was talking about :eek:: silly autocorrect

layback11, here's the music by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-4TKs_nTY

Okay I admit, I quite like the first part of the music with the guitar feel and all, but the addition of the drumming at the latter end just makes me feel...confused in an unexplainable way

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
:agree: Totally!

OTOH, I think skaters should be allowed to use whatever music they like, feel deeply, and shows them to their best advantage. Doesn't mean that I'm going to like it but they're the ones who have to practice with it day in and day out. I'll just grump about it here on GS... :biggrin:

Re: "Rondo" did you mean Adelina's LP? The canned electronic version of the Saint-Saens "Rondo Capriccioso?" That one just about turned my ears inside out.

I love that version :eek::

Weathergal

Medalist
Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
Muse (just not feeling those lyrics; didn't even really care for Jeremy's "Exogenesis Symphony")

The Kerrs did it first, and better (2010 gala/2011 FD).

Thanks Buttercup--I love the Kerrs! I forgot about that program though! I agree with you that it's better than Jeremy's (and I like Jeremy), but I'm still not a big fan of the music.

Anyway, it "made" me rewatch an all-time favorite Kerr/Kerr program: their 2008 Worlds Scottish Dance OD. Can't watch this one without smiling!

Darthwill

Rinkside
I have a group of friends who love the Olympics, and we watch much of the festivities together. They are casual skating fans and aren't familiar with many of the skaters or their programs. Anyway, during the free dance when Ilinykhy/Katsalapov's music began, there was a collective groan (we groaned whenever a workhorse galloped out onto the ice). One of my friends said that if the Russian pair got up on their toe picks and flapped their arms like a swan, he was going to give up on figure skating. He's given up on figure skating.

The point I'm making is that the workhorses aren't challenging the skaters technically or artistically. The choreography follows the same musical beats and accents. There's no surprise. And it's boring, at least to me. And to my friend whose given up on skating because of the swan arm-flapping.

Now, we did give a cheer when Ryan Reynolds used AC/DC for his short program--it was unexpected and we had no idea where the choreography would go.

I've been a fan of this sport since I was a little girl in the 70's (my knees hurts just writing that). But I stopped watching regularly some years ago, and the musical workhorses is one of many reasons for that (although I've paid more attention since Jason Brown's Riverdance program).

I know a ban on over used music will never happen, but if it did--I would click my heels in joy.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a group of friends who love the Olympics, and we watch much of the festivities together. They are casual skating fans and aren't familiar with many of the skaters or their programs. Anyway, during the free dance when Ilinykhy/Katsalapov's music began, there was a collective groan (we groaned whenever a workhorse galloped out onto the ice). One of my friends said that if the Russian pair got up on their toe picks and flapped their arms like a swan, he was going to give up on figure skating. He's given up on figure skating.

The point I'm making is that the workhorses aren't challenging the skaters technically or artistically. The choreography follows the same musical beats and accents. There's no surprise. And it's boring, at least to me. And to my friend whose given up on skating because of the swan arm-flapping.

Now, we did give a cheer when Ryan Reynolds used AC/DC for his short program--it was unexpected and we had no idea where the choreography would go.

I've been a fan of this sport since I was a little girl in the 70's (my knees hurts just writing that). But I stopped watching regularly some years ago, and the musical workhorses is one of many reasons for that (although I've paid more attention since Jason Brown's Riverdance program).

I know a ban on over used music will never happen, but if it did--I would click my heels in joy.

KEVIN Reynolds...... NOT RYAN.

But yeah. I love his originality with music choices.

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't mind warhorses, but I wish the ISU would implement some kind of music registration where only 1 skater in each discipline can skate to POTO or Carmen, etc.

Amei

Record Breaker
Most old-fashioned country songs... I listen to that music and I watch figure skating videos on Youtube, that led to a horrible suggestion, the Kerr's did a routine to Johnny Cash and all I could do :jaw: and not in a good way.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States

I couldn't agree with you more Darthwill. The sport is evolving technically, but remains somewhat stuck in time musically. I applaud those skaters that try something new such as using lyrics and contemorary music. It may not always work, but at least they're trying to push the envelope and advance the sport.

Carmen, one the worst warhorses of all, and associated with Katarina Witt.
POTO, the same reason, don't enjoy the music either and the worst is I can think of a signature POTO program. I guess D/W did it, but it is not my style.
Sheherezade (is the spelling right?), also overused a lot, even though not so many skaters used it recently.
Swan Lake, can't think of a signature program.
Bolero, I began to dislike this music after hearing it so much, associated with Torvill and Dean, and also Carolina.
Turandot, still remember the times when it was the worst warhorse, associated with Shen and Zhao.
Rhapsody in Blue, due to the overusing I can't enjoy the music.
Masquerade Waltz, lovely music but it might be a first category warhorse. For now it is a second category.
Miss Saigon, for the same reason.
Dance Macabre, for the same reason, and it's also hard to top Yuna's program

Yes, and I would add:

Night on Bald Mountain-hate it
Fiddler on the Roof/If I Were a Rich Man-I watched Han Yan but had to turn the volume completely off. Horrible, horrible music. :slink:

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
Muse (just not feeling those lyrics; didn't even really care for Jeremy's "Exogenesis Symphony")

Thanks Buttercup--I love the Kerrs! I forgot about that program though! I agree with you that it's better than Jeremy's (and I like Jeremy), but I'm still not a big fan of the music.

Anyway, it "made" me rewatch an all-time favorite Kerr/Kerr program: their 2008 Worlds Scottish Dance OD. Can't watch this one without smiling!

so ladies have to wear skirt but men can wear anything?? :laugh: jokes aside, it was really good, loved it, thanks!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
With all due respect, it doesn't sound like your friend was much of a fan to begin with. If that was all he took away from I/K's skating, he can just watch snowboarding or whatever; figure skating is clearly not for him.

Jason Brown's Riverdance was great fun, but it wasn't OMG so original as a music choice and some of the choreo was sort of obvious. Meanwhile, there are quite a few up to date music selections to go along with all the POTOs and Carmens: electronic music, Muse, Coldplay, recent soundtracks like Tron and Game of Thrones... and a lot more. Duhamel/Radford just won Worlds skating to Muse. Savchenko/Szolkowy won the year they skated to Pina, which was hardly a standard choice. A few years back, Brian Joubert won with a Metallica program. For all that it's a rather meh choice, Notre Dame de Paris is from the late 1990s. And on the flip side, skaters have done interesting things with warhorses, like V/M's Carmen - or these two takes on Swan Lake (I was also fond of Klimkin's more traditional version).

The ISU needs to try and find ways to appeal to a wider audience, but there are a lot of people for whom skating will, at most, be an Olympics-only viewing option. And many who won't even bother with that. Even if "Ryan" Reynolds skates to AC/DC.

so ladies have to wear skirt but men can wear anything?? :laugh: jokes aside, it was really good, loved it, thanks!
John discussed the Scottish OD with IN's Sarah and Drew following the 2008 season. As for the kilt:
The first thing we had to check was whether it was within the rules to wear it. It pretty soon came from on high that people would be disappointed if I DIDN'T wear the kilt.
Read on to learn why it wasn't quite an authentic look ;)

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
John discussed the Scottish OD with IN's Sarah and Drew following the 2008 season. As for the kilt:

Read on to learn why it wasn't quite an authentic look ;)

I had heard that about Scotsmen and their kilts... :eek:: Thanks for the link--had never read that article before. Definitely miss the Kerrs. Was lovely to hear Sinead commenting on ice dance for the one GP event this fall (Skate America, I think) for Universal Sports. I'm a big fan of Tanith's commentary (always learn so much), but Sinead did a really nice job.

Darthwill

Rinkside
KEVIN Reynolds...... NOT RYAN.

But yeah. I love his originality with music choices.

Sorry, I meant Kevin--not "Ryan". I wrote my reply late at night...surprised I didn't write "Burt". As for my friend, his mother was a competitive figure skater back in the days when there were compulsory figures. He thinks the figures should be brought back; it would help with the edge problems some skaters are having.

I believe abandoning the workhorses for fresher musical choices would spark a lot of creative choreography.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I meant Kevin--not "Ryan". I wrote my reply late at night...surprised I didn't write "Burt". As for my friend, his mother was a competitive figure skater back in the days when there were compulsory figures. He thinks the figures should be brought back; it would help with the edge problems some skaters are having.

I believe abandoning the workhorses for fresher musical choices would spark a lot of creative choreography.

Dude (Sorry I use "dude" interchangeably for men and women), like no kidding. I have a list of songs that I think would be SO AWESOME for skating. And some rather unusual ones. Like the opening monologue from the 87th annual Academy Awards. Like every song I listen to, I try to see if it works for skating.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Yes, and I would add:

Night on Bald Mountain-hate it
Fiddler on the Roof/If I Were a Rich Man-I watched Han Yan but had to turn the volume completely off. Horrible, horrible music. :slink:

I kinda Han Yan music! Well, maybe I don't mind because simply I don't remember it... :slink:

Anyway, I forgot to complete my list. I didn't add Romeo & Juliet, the music is never bad, but there are many versions and I'm tired from all of them. Meditation from Thais and Adios Nonino seems in my opinion overused, too (although the first is the second category warhorse, but the second is warhorse for retiring skaters).
Also, I don't want to hear Riverdance and Manfred symphony in the next season. Still can't get Jason and K/S out of my head.
And Rach Piano Concerto No.2. Mao. That's all.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Han Yan's music came across very strange, almost ghoulish on my TV speakers. Did anyone else experience this?
I liked his program despite the music.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Well pretty sure men are not technically allowed to wear tights. Though how they define tights is anyone's guess.

Darthwill

Rinkside
Dude (Sorry I use "dude" interchangeably for men and women), like no kidding. I have a list of songs that I think would be SO AWESOME for skating. And some rather unusual ones. Like the opening monologue from the 87th annual Academy Awards. Like every song I listen to, I try to see if it works for skating.

I don't mind being called dude, Cheerknithanson. I also have a list of music that I would just love to see someone skate to. One of those that is on my list is Godzilla! from the movie of the same name that came out last year. It's bold, aggressive, bellicose, and so outside of the norm of what is used in the sport. It wouldn't be an easy piece to skate to, but in the hands of a great athlete and great choreographer it could be amazing. Now I'm going to have to look up the opening monologue from the Academy Awards.