Coronavirus and the new season | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who on Earth thought it would be a good idea to have Europeans and the Universiade held at exactly the same time???!!!

And Bavarian Open and at least one other small competition. Not the world's best year for scheduling. But at least it means skaters can't be assigned to compete at both the Universiade and Euros (and/or the Open) in quick succession, which can only be good for their health.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And Bavarian Open and at least one other small competition. Not the world's best year for scheduling.

True. But we are used to having Senior B's clashing with Grands Prix and Major Championships every season. And National Championships clashing with the GP Final and Major Championships every season. We are not used to Senior Majors clashing with other Senior Majors.

And, as I said, this is not an effect of COVID-19. They were both always planned to be on the last week of January.

It was very bad advanced planning from a few years ago.

But at least it means skaters can't be assigned to compete at both the Universiade and Euros (and/or the Open) in quick succession, which can only be good for their health.

Very good point, Harriet! :bow: :clap: :points:

Yes, I can now see how this as a good thing. :agree:

That said, with the compressed calendar, I do think we will still see a lot of skaters doing like Liza did a few years ago, and trying to compete every week. My worry about this is that it could turn out dangerous if these skaters manage to wear themselves down, as it could leave themselves susceptible to catching things.

So, anything that discourages them from going down this road is welcomed! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Is anyone planning to buy tickets? I did before Corona happened but now I'm so uncertain. :/ I mean if it gets cancelled, held without spectators or if you can't enter Sweden you'll get a refund, so there's not really a risk? Am I missing something?

Depends on what you consider a risk. In theory they could hold the event if even a single skater were to actually show up. Then those all-event tickets would have been pretty expensive and still non-refundable. :sarcasm:

Also, if your home country decides you’re not allowed to go to Sweden, you’re out of luck, too. And also if Sweden imposes, say, a week-long quarantaine on travelers entering the country (or your home upon returning and you cannot afford that dus to work etc.), you’re out of luck, too.

At this point in time, Sweden is code orange for Dutch travelers (meaning Dutchies are advised to go into quarantaine at home upon returning from Sweden).

And, despite all this, yes, I am considering going. *face palm*

Alex D

Record Breaker
Is anyone planning to buy tickets? I did before Corona happened but now I'm so uncertain. :/ I mean if it gets cancelled, held without spectators or if you can't enter Sweden you'll get a refund, so there's not really a risk? Am I missing something?

It is so hard to give an answer here. Nobody can truly say how our world will look like after the winter months. The ATP tournament at Stockholm was cancelled due to Corona, so there is no guarentee that similar might not happen to worlds as well.

Sweden does not have the AHA rules, so there is always a possibility of things getting worse now that schools are back from summer break.

I would keep an eye on this website here,

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/aussenpolitik/laender/schweden-node/schwedensicherheit/210708

It will inform you if you must have a negative test, go into quarentine or face travel restrictions. From what I experienced lately, I see crowds at events critical. Too many wont keep the distance rules or wear a mask, the events without a crowd work pretty flawless so far, at least on the WTA or womens soccer.
One big issue with crowds is also how they travel to and from the event. Public transport can become a super spreading event quite easily there, especially if like in Sweden masks are not mandatory.

I sadly dont know the refund policy for worlds, so I have to pass with judging those.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Japan Open (September 9-13) is now confirmed as postponed on the ISU online calendar. Three times, in fact. ...

LOL, your link is not to the event page for Japan Open (Oct 3), which as of now does not have a notation of postponement.
The event page now aligns with the chart in Communication 2343, which also does not show postponement for Japan Open.

Meanwhile, your link is to an event page for non-Challenger competition (Junior/Novice) at Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy (originally scheduled for Sep 9 - 13, but postponed).
Based on Communication 2343, it would be consistent to have two event pages for Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy: one for Challenger competition (Senior) and one for non-Challenger competition (Junior/Novice).
What is superfluous is that a third page (at your link) also is earmarked for Junior/Novice competition. And it would be better if the Junior/Novice page(s) did not link to the isuresults.com page for the Challenger event.

Looking on the bright side: AFAIK, the ISU calendar listings do have everything right :cool: with the two pages for Budapest Trophy: one for Challenger competition (Senior Ladies, Senior Men, Senior Dance) and one for non-Challenger competition (Senior Pairs, Junior Ladies, Junior Men, Junior Dance). The non-Challenger page does not :) link to any isuresults.com page.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL, your link is not to the event page for Japan Open (Oct 3), which as of now does not have a notation of postponement.
The event page now aligns with the chart in Communication 2343, which also does not show postponement for Japan Open.

Meanwhile, your link is to an event page for non-Challenger competition (Junior/Novice) at Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy (originally scheduled for Sep 9 - 13, but postponed).
Based on Communication 2343, it would be consistent to have two event pages for Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy: one for Challenger competition (Senior) and one for non-Challenger competition (Junior/Novice).
What is superfluous is that a third page (at your link) also is earmarked for Junior/Novice competition. And it would be better if the Junior/Novice page(s) did not link to the isuresults.com page for the Challenger event.

Looking on the bright side: AFAIK, the ISU calendar listings do have everything right :cool: with the two pages for Budapest Trophy: one for Challenger competition (Senior Ladies, Senior Men, Senior Dance) and one for non-Challenger competition (Senior Pairs, Junior Ladies, Junior Men, Junior Dance). The non-Challenger page does not :) link to any isuresults.com page.

Well, that'll teach me to read more carefully, won't it? Thanks for catching the mistake. :)

removof

On the Ice
With the COVID19 they must to organize all competition in virtual.
It's better than zero competition.

Xena45

Rinkside
In January I bought tickets for my mother and I to attend the US Figure Skating Championships in San Jose in January 2021. My mother is 72 years old and worried about COVID-19, so there's no way she'll be attending. I wish I could get a refund. Does anyone have any ideas what might happen with this event?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In January I bought tickets for my mother and I to attend the US Figure Skating Championships in San Jose in January 2021. My mother is 72 years old and worried about COVID-19, so there's no way she'll be attending. I wish I could get a refund. Does anyone have any ideas what might happen with this event?

It's a question with at least two parts. And over four months before 2021 Nats, it is understandable that nothing is written in stone one way or the other.
As is true of just about everything else in life during this pandemic, the caveat of "subject to change" applies. :ghug:

Part 1: Will 2021 U.S. Nats be held at all?

What we know is that two weeks ago, USFS announced its new Championship Series, which is the revamped qualifying structure just for 2021 Nats.
The new series includes eight competitions in November and early December. (Some of the pages for individual competitions say, "A tentative schedule will be available in early October," or something similar.)
As of now, I think it is fair to say that USFS is very actively working toward holding Nats.

(Without COVID, this season's original schedule for the normal qualifying season would have started at the very end of September.)​

Part 2: If 2021 U.S. Nats can be held, will spectators be allowed?

Who knows???

Nats would be an entirely different kettle of fish, but strictly FWIW, an excerpt from the FAQ for the Championship Series -- which does not include Nats:
Q: Will spectators be allowed?
A: At this time, it is safe to assume no spectators will be allowed. However, if an operation and safety plan can include spectators, you will be made aware. Information will be posted on the competition website.​

But again, a decision regarding spectators at Nats would entail more and different considerations.
I think the reality is that we have to just wait and see.​

Country
Norway
Depends on what you consider a risk. In theory they could hold the event if even a single skater were to actually show up. Then those all-event tickets would have been pretty expensive and still non-refundable. :sarcasm:

Also, if your home country decides you’re not allowed to go to Sweden, you’re out of luck, too. And also if Sweden imposes, say, a week-long quarantaine on travelers entering the country (or your home upon returning and you cannot afford that dus to work etc.), you’re out of luck, too.

At this point in time, Sweden is code orange for Dutch travelers (meaning Dutchies are advised to go into quarantaine at home upon returning from Sweden).

And, despite all this, yes, I am considering going. *face palm*

Considering Swedens approach to the virus it´s not likely they will have a quarantaine for entering the country. For now they have an entry ban for visitors outside EU until August 31, but they have certain exceptions and i´m sure by March they will certainly make it possible for the skaters outside Europe to enter. All citizens of EU/EEFA countries are now allowed inside without quarantine requirements. Despite increasing numbers in European countries now. It is more likely that visitors have to go into quarantine at home when returning upon from Sweden, as you say it is at this point for Dutch travelers.

As I have said before, I do not think the Swedish Government would be the one to cancel the event, but it would be ISU and the athletes which will decide if it will not be safe enough to arrange WC.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thanks Winnie_20, Alex D and norwegianfairytale for your input! There's so much one has to consider right now, I don't know how I'm supposed to make a decision. :drama:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Considering Swedens approach to the virus it´s not likely they will have a quarantaine for entering the country. For now they have an entry ban for visitors outside EU until August 31, but they have certain exceptions and i´m sure by March they will certainly make it possible for the skaters outside Europe to enter. All citizens of EU/EEFA countries are now allowed inside without quarantine requirements. Despite increasing numbers in European countries now. It is more likely that visitors have to go into quarantine at home when returning upon from Sweden, as you say it is at this point for Dutch travelers.

As I have said before, I do not think the Swedish Government would be the one to cancel the event, but it would be ISU and the athletes which will decide if it will not be safe enough to arrange WC.

As someone residing in a neighboring country to Sweden, I agree. Unless they fire their chief epidemiologist (I would probably have fired him long ago) and change strategy, the Swedish Government won't cancel the event.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I’ll be honest. I am not worried about Worlds getting cancelled. I am worried about very few skaters actually showing up (for whatever reasons) and Worlds NOT getting cancelled. I am worried about paying a whole lot of money and not getting my money’s worth. :slink:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

I was strongly considering it back in March, but now given the combination of me not knowing if I'll be able to enter Sweden and then re-enter the USA by that time and the outrageously high ticket prices (+airfare and hotel neither of which would be cheap) there's no way I'm buying an All-Event ticket as things stand. If by some miracle between now and then there's a vaccine and things get drastically better, I might consider splurging closer to the event, but at the moment there's too much of a risk that they either a) hold some type of Worlds that's a far cry from the regular experience with most of the athletes not attending or b) hold that PLUS I'm not able to get into Sweden so I'm out more $$ than I can really afford to lose with nothing to show for it.