Coronavirus and the new season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

Amei

Record Breaker
That sounds very sensible, but makes me wonder about the whole discipline of synchronized skating. Really an unfortunate sport in this time with the lack of distance an constant touching of 16 people involved. I unfortunately really can't imagine a scenario right now that would allow a synchro season to be happening.

They let Jr synchro worlds to go on during the height of the pandemic...

margarete77

Spectator
They let Jr synchro worlds to go on during the height of the pandemic...

Which was a horrible decision. 5 good teams where entirely missing, which weakened the competition significantly, one team had to leave in a hurry to still be allowed into their country after the short program. Plus I have read that recently:

https://www.jurasynchro.com/?page=article&id=837

So I sincerely hope that the ISU learns from that experience.

mdr19

Rinkside
Which was a horrible decision. 5 good teams where entirely missing, which weakened the competition significantly, one team had to leave in a hurry to still be allowed into their country after the short program. Plus I have read that recently:

https://www.jurasynchro.com/?page=article&id=837

So I sincerely hope that the ISU learns from that experience.

That's horrifying just to read... I am glad that she is now with her family and getting better.
It was indeed not a wise decision to let the Jr Synchnro Worlds happen given what was already known about the virus.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
The Italian officials have announced their previsional plan for the gradual return to normality for the coming months in various stages, starting next week, when certain limited industries can return to their productions.

At the end of May, sports events will resume in closed environments.
Stadiums will be open to the public in March 2021.
At the end of March 2021, borders will be open to the public.
If Italy goes with this plan, I would assume other European countries will take similar measures, as clearly this needs to be a coordinated effort.
Which means the ISU event will be held in isolated venues without audience - and perhaps this will be the best possible scenario, to avoid the total cancellation of the season.
Of course, the plan is sitll provisional and no one knows how the situation develops in following days, weeks and months.
Not an encouraging prospect in any case :(

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Only big commercial 'male' sports like US football, basketball, baseball, hockey, FIFA soccer, etc are able to sustain themselves in empty arena's, but only due to all kinds of contractual and sponsor obligations. I don't see this happening for any 'amateur', 'women' or 'childrens' sport unfortunately.

Most athletes will be happy and have to be content with being allowed back into training under closed regime and strict health monitoring and all kinds of restrictions. Without government support, sponsored income, many sports will face a very tough time, and survival of many clubs and even federations is in jeopardy.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Only big commercial 'male' sports like soccer, basketball, F1, etc are able to sustain themselves in empty arena's, if only due to all kinds of contractual and sponsor obligations. I don't see this happening for any 'amateur', 'women' or 'children's' sport unfortunately.

Most athletes will be happy and have to be content with being allowed back into training under closed regime and strict health monitoring and all kinds of restrictions. Without government support, sponsored income, many sports will face a very tough time, and survival of many clubs and even federations is in jeopardy.

Yep. To put it into context, I spoke with a client who said they are getting a ton of applications from NFL employees for an opening in their org, because of its overlap with sports in the past. If NFL executives are concerned about the prospects of being able to continue with a season in the fall/winter, it doesn’t spell good things for other less influential and powerful sports (winter sports other than hockey being most at risk). I think winter sports are more risky because they are already less popular in the US and more expensive in general, so even a teetering difference in support could make or break most of our winter sports feds (apart from maybe hockey).

icybear

Medalist
I find it hard to believe mass gathering can be safe by October where GP usually start. Even with safety measures inside the venue and entering. Not least because some countries are taking health measures seriously such as masks and temperature checking while some have none. A while back someone on this forum was arguing with me that masks were useless and now WHO is saying masks can be of help. LOL people should use some logic and common sense before just reciting what the media says. Its extremely obvious by the lack of PPE why the government was pushing this agenda for people not to buy masks

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I find it hard to believe mass gathering can be safe by October where GP usually start.

You might be right. But if we're being honest, most FS events don't fill up these venues and the ISU could fill every third or fourth seat in the arena, selling the same number of tickets as usual while also adhering to social distancing guidelines (which should at least be eased somewhat by late October). Just because events won't look the same as they did before doesn't mean they can't be held at all.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You might be right. But if we're being honest, most FS events don't fill up these venues and the ISU could fill every third or fourth seat in the arena, selling the same number of tickets as usual while also adhering to social distancing guidelines (which should at least be eased somewhat by late October). Just because events won't look the same as they did before doesn't mean they can't be held at all.

Errr, you are taking into account the countries - Japan, Russia especially, and some of Asia - where that is NOT the case? I'm trying to imagine the already-a-scrimmage ticket sales in Japan if they only sold 1/4 the number of tickets, and I doubt the Russian Fed would be too happy about losing out on expected revenue/pr from their wunderkinder like that...

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is going to be difficult. We will not know until time passes when International Travel will be permitted, let alone return to normal.
The medical officials in my country are currently advising that International Travel is out of the question until at least the end of this year- i.e. no JGP, no Internationals, No GP. Obviously, that could be subjected to change. The experience of COVID will be different from country to country (even region to region in one country), so the time when each country reaches 'the other side' will be different. This will likely mean that international travel will reopen in a gradual/stage by stage manner- where travel will only really be permitted between jurisdictions that have successfully managed the virus.

Here are some other facts to put things into perspective.
- even if a vaccine is found (there is no guarantee), that reality is at least 18 months away- and that is fast!!!
- it took around a decade of research for the first measles vaccine to be developed in 1963.
- there are still no vaccines for the common cold, the seasonal flu, HIV etc.

Fried

Final Flight
A while back someone on this forum was arguing with me that masks were useless and now WHO is saying masks can be of help. LOL people should use some logic and common sense before just reciting what the media says. Its extremely obvious by the lack of PPE why the government was pushing this agenda for people not to buy masks
The fact that the protective effect of various masks is not proven is not the opinion of the media, but that of science. The only thing that is certain is that the emission of aerosols from virus carriers is minimized. Since you can also be a carrier of the virus without knowing it yourself, masks of course still make sense.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel somewhat more encouraged that they are talking about opening parts of the USA May 1. I have a feeling it will be places with low population density and I don't think California will be an option for a while - I think they've already declared 6 weeks of lockdown? I hope all US skaters get a chance to train (somewhere) if, and only if, it is safe for them to do so.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Errr, you are taking into account the countries - Japan, Russia especially, and some of Asia - where that is NOT the case? I'm trying to imagine the already-a-scrimmage ticket sales in Japan if they only sold 1/4 the number of tickets, and I doubt the Russian Fed would be too happy about losing out on expected revenue/pr from their wunderkinder like that...

Sure, there are a handful of GP events that will end up selling fewer tickets than they would without implementing social distancing in the venue. But the vast majority of Senior B and JGP events have a ton of empty seats. My point is that not being to completely fill up an arena due to safety concerns should not be a reason to cancel the entire season.

ruga

Final Flight
I agree that if it's possible to organize events with no audience then such route should be chosen. The number of sold tickets fluctuates according to competition's location and the time a particular segment takes place. Not to mention countless empty Senior Bs, JGPs, even certain GPs or Europeans. PR via Internet is still better than no PR and I believe athletes will be happy to compete either way. If there are problems with finances, maybe advertisements on official stream could be introduced?

Gabby30

On the Ice
I find it hard to believe mass gathering can be safe by October where GP usually start. Even with safety measures inside the venue and entering. Not least because some countries are taking health measures seriously such as masks and temperature checking while some have none. A while back someone on this forum was arguing with me that masks were useless and now WHO is saying masks can be of help. LOL people should use some logic and common sense before just reciting what the media says. Its extremely obvious by the lack of PPE why the government was pushing this agenda for people not to buy masks

But blindly believing what WHO says is common sense and logic? Because they are always right, sure....

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
an italian-anglo team is developping a vaccine, tests on human (all volunteers) will start at the end of the month. also Australia is starting experimentation on human too.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

I wish you were right and it was safe to hold events with audience at some point in the new season. But I think the problem with audience is not social distancing between individual seats but the common spaces like venue restrooms or cafeterias.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I have similar thoughts on this. I’d be surprised if Worlds 2021 will take place in March next year to be honest. As of now I think the next competitive season we will be looking at is the Olympic one. But I hope I’m wrong.