Coronavirus and the World Championships | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the World Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearly

Record Breaker
WC of short track was cancelled in Seul, South Korea. And short track is also a part of ISU.

I doubt that in Italy it is more safe than in South Korea right now.

The event was canceled due to the fact the "authorities of the city of Seoul ordered the closing of the Mokdong Ice Rink and the cancellation of all planned competitions." ISU held their competitions despite the SARS outbreak 17 years ago, I don't think they will cancel Worlds.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The event was canceled due to the fact the "authorities of the city of Seoul ordered the closing of the Mokdong Ice Rink and the cancellation of all planned competitions." ISU held their competitions despite the SARS outbreak 17 years ago, I don't think they will cancel Worlds.

I agree that the ISU won't cancel Worlds. However, the Canadian government can order it cancelled or impose border restrictions on overseas athletes and/or spectators.

Every day you can read articles saying that they may cancel all large gatherings and close all schools and universities. You can also read ones saying that once it becomes common, we'll just treat it like another flu.

I was living in Toronto during 2003 SARS, and I can say that despite all the fear-mongering, we pretty much went about our lives as usual. I went to work every day, and the only thing that looked different was the ubiquitous presence of hand sanitizer and a person who spent the day wiping down the elevator call buttons and control buttons.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I agree that the ISU won't cancel Worlds. However, the Canadian government can order it cancelled or impose border restrictions on overseas athletes and/or spectators.

I agree that Canada is more likely to order it cancelled than the ISU is to cancel it unilaterally. Some governments are already doing so for large events, and not just ones with larger numbers of cases such as South Korea and Japan either.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Maybe it's because people hate Russia and want Trusova to lose.

If 100,000,000 people have to die to accomplish that goal -- well, at least they died in a worthy cause.

(I think your paranoia is showing. You will be surprised to learn this, but hating on Eteri T. is not the engine that drives every facet of human existence.)
Well
Imagine how cool that would be: the entire drama with Evgenia, Alina and Liza missing, the quad kids taking over, only three places for the Russians - this entire drama would be immediately solved.
That weren't my words, weren't they? :confused2: At least you can't argue that this have nothing to do with health concerns - yet it was posted here long before I said anything ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well

That weren't my words, weren't they? :confused2: At least you can't argue that this have nothing to do with health concerns - yet it was posted here long before I said anything ;)

I am assuming English is not your first language and therefore your irony button for the language is a little rusty.... I know I read that as Manitou speaking with tongue firmly superglued in cheek, and only tangentially about the more soap opera elements of Russian ladies.

Makemi

Rinkside
For those who haven't seen, the ISU just released an official statement regarding Worlds and the coronavirus:
https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-news/13065-isu-statement-coronavirus-isu-events-season-2019-20?templateParam=15

All other ISU Events [i.e. all events that are not World Short Track Speed Skating Championships 2020 which is getting postponed] for the season 2019/20 remain scheduled as planned. In this regard, the ISU is closely following the evolution of the Coronavirus and will follow the recommendations provided by the World Health Organization and the competent local authorities.

They've also posted an updated protocol on attending ISU events.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I agree that Canada is more likely to order it cancelled than the ISU is to cancel it unilaterally. Some governments are already doing so for large events, and not just ones with larger numbers of cases such as South Korea and Japan either.
Has Canada even restricted travel from China? I remember them making a point that they did not intend to do so because there was no evidence such restrictions work. Unless their position has changed, I can’t imagine they would cancel Worlds.

This event honestly seems like a potential disaster to me, but hopefully that is just my irrational panic.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There have been warnings about travelling to China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Italy especially norther. Lots of 14 day quarantines. it would be sad if worlds get cancelled or peopble are banned from certain countries but I am sure they will do their best to keep worlds on schedule. Let's hope the celebration of fantastic skating is not affected by the virus. I am really curious though about what is going on with China's Yan. I didn't understand does he actually have the virus or just there are traces in his systme and if he has it will he be ready for worlds?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There have been warnings about travelling to China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Italy especially norther. Lots of 14 day quarantines. it would be sad if worlds get cancelled or peopble are banned from certain countries but I am sure they will do their best to keep worlds on schedule. Let's hope the celebration of fantastic skating is not affected by the virus. I am really curious though about what is going on with China's Yan. I didn't understand does he actually have the virus or just there are traces in his systme and if he has it will he be ready for worlds?

I don't think Yan is going. How can he when he's not even on the roster, not even as a sub?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

what?? where in the world have you seen that han yan is ill???? maybe i have missed some big news... if not, dude ..... please do not start rumours

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Why I have a feeling that you WANT WC to be cancelled - for pure personal reasons having nothing to do with health concerns? Why is that, I wonder? :rolleye:

They were clearly being sarcastic

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly. This has taken a ridiculous and tiresome turn.

No one on this forum wants a deadly world-wide pandemic to take place in order to deny any skater a chance to win a medal.

Anyone who states differently is losing credibility by the post.

Gusmom

Rinkside
I admit this makes me nervous. As does the lack of info being put out by the organizing committee.
(Also I feel bad for the Chinese athletes - had they just been told they’d be quarantined ahead of time, I’m sure they would have made other arrangements :( )

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
As usual, the focus has been on past risk, not present and future risk. China has had so many internal quarantines and draconian measures taken over the last 6 weeks, that my LEAST worry would be Chinese athletes coming from China. The risk has now shifted. Given the explosion of cases in Europe and (shortly) in the northwest/west coast of the USA (where there's new evidence the coronavirus has been silently spreading in the community for weeks now), there's probably more issue with European and North American athletes, officials, and visiting public spectators. And if this virus has been circulating under the radar in the NW USA, that means it's almost certainly hopped over into Western Canada as well.

Japan: the Japanese government either cannot or will not do extensive testing, even though there's also plenty of evidence that this virus has been community spreading. They are more focused on preserving the Olympics and taking the position that "no news is good news." I'm not sure about that, but that's a separate topic. I would rank the risk of Japanese spectators traveling to Worlds and spreading this virus as some of the highest risk of all (Japanese athletes, coaches and officials, somewhat less so). Paradoxically, I put more trust in the South Koreans even though they have a lot more official virus cases than Japan....because they are so aggressively testing and the centers of infection are mostly identifiable (churches). You can only find what you test for.

A lot can happen in the next 2 weeks, but right now, I would put the odds of staging Worlds as:
25% Will take place as usual, even with minor inconveniences like temperature checking equipment
25% Will be cancelled entirely
50% Will take place but with severe limitations, such as no public spectators, only athletes, coaches, officials, and media.

In the end, I don't think it's going to be the ISU's call to make.

NaVi

Medalist
TBH, by the time Worlds comes along most of Europe and a lot of the US(probably the coasts) will be about at the stage South Korea, Japan, and Italy are now... actually, I kind of suspect that the some west coast urban areas the US are already there... but I find it weird there's no mention of reducing travel by those from affected countries. Governments themselves seem very reluctant to close down travel in order to protect the economy people holding events may want to look more into that. China seems to have put some of their skaters in a safe quarantine-ish environment for training but that doesn't seem to have been asked for other countries.

There's no mention about throwing items after performances. And if they let people throw items, often those are donated to kids and it would be a good idea to hold onto those for a couple weeks before doing that.

I remember a report a while back about how there was suspected infections that came about through sewage(fecal) vapor. One thing they need to think about is bathrooms ventilation and that somehow that air isn't being recirculated in the arena.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's no mention about throwing items after performances. And if they let people throw items, often those are donated to kids and it would be a good idea to hold onto those for a couple weeks before doing that.

This is more fuel for my argument that fans shouldn't throw stuffed animals or toys, and should instead toss Gift Cards of nominal value.

The gift cards would actually do something to help the skaters, even if it's just a cup of coffee. A bunch of VISA Gift Cards could help with real expenses.

The stuffed animals are a pain in the backside for skaters/organizers to even get rid of.

If I were CEO of some company like Starbucks, I'd send a minion to US Nationals and have him/her toss a gift bag with my logo onto the ice for the boys/girls to gather up. Think of the promotional benefits of having skaters open the bag in the Kiss & Cry to find a Starbucks gift card and a mug or a small bag of coffee beans for them to take home. And I bet the skaters would appreciate it more than another armful of stuffed animals they've got to dispose of.

Manitou was being sardonic.

What Manitou actually believes is that all six of them -- Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornia, Zagitova, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva -- should be at worlds regardless of country, if they are among the best skaters in the world. In fact, Manitou thinks that the world championships are somewhat of a joke because many of the best skaters in the world are not invited, while skaters of lesser ability will be there instead.

About the coronavirus, Manitou feels that anxiety regarding this disease is being overblown by politicians who are trying to exploit people's fears for their own political gain.

(Apologies to Manitou if I have misstated his position. :) )

Last edited:
This is more fuel for my argument that fans shouldn't throw stuffed animals or toys, and should instead toss Gift Cards of nominal value.

Ah, no. Man does not live by bread alone. I bet skaters appreciate these tokens of affection and support. No problem to get rid of the stuffed animals -- have the arena people call up the local children's hospital to come and get them. :yes:

Last edited:

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
It appears there is an opinion amongst some posters that COVID-19 is a politically motivated concern and reporting is encouraging public panic. To counter that I strongly suggest that we keep ourselves informed by only reading information from the World Health Organization (WHO) website. The information there is science-based and represents amazing expertise from many countries. COVID-19 WHO website

At this point, I don't know what the proper action will be wrt World's and COVID-19 as this is a very fluid situation. But when dealing with a new pathogen where there is no "herd" immunity and no vaccine, we should use the precautionary approach. If you are feeling well - disinfect your hands whenever touching public objects. If you are feeling unwell - stay home or stay in your hotel room if already at World's, wear a mask and disinfect your hands before and after touching public objects if you must go out at all. Nothing there that is political or fear mongering - just common sense.

Fingers crossed for a great Worlds with fantastic competition and the best skates from all competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.