Depth of judges' pool questioned | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Depth of judges' pool questioned

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Depth of judges' pool questioned
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090327.SKATEJUDGE27ART22343/TPStory/National
"Why don't they just judge what they see?" said another ISU official, who did not want to be identified.

Kurt said that the judges were newbies (not experienced) and they went with the flashy showmanship of Brian Joubert. Kurt also thought Chan should have been ranked first - not because he is a fellow Canadian - but because of Patrick Chan's quality edges and choreography compared to Brian's.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Soooooo many things to criticse with this article and soooooo little time.

For startes - having Scott "my screaming is oh so impartial" Hamilton commenting on this is like a bad joke. Somebody better explain to him? Why? Who exactly does he think he is? The overall arbiter of figure skating?

Russia - a powerhouse in men's skating?? Right now? I find it offensive that the other countries are a "jumble" to the writer in case he missed it - skaters from the Czech Republic and Belgium are higher ranked (or possibly were with KVDPs poor worlds showing) than any Russian and possibly Japanese men's skater.

What on earth does whether Chan recognises them have to do with it. He's hardly got years and years of experience on the senior circuit - maybe he hasn't come across every single elligible judge qualified to judge seniors yet?

What were they hoping - get Hamilton screaming at fever pitch and start working the media to get a double gold medal awarded to Chan? :rofl::rofl:

Is this a premonition of what is to come at the Olympics? NA Media lobbying for gold medals?

Ant

For your information Patrick Chan was very gracious about winning the silver and very pleased. He respects his fellow skaters. He was mad at himself for turning one of his jumps to a double and says he "learned from the experience." Believe me, Canadian skaters and fans don't want a media circus repeat like what happened in Salt Lake City at the 2010 Games here in Vancouver.

jettasian

Match Penalty
For your information Patrick Chan was very gracious about winning the silver and very pleased. He respects his fellow skaters. He was mad at himself for turning one of his jumps to a double and says he "learned from the experience." Believe me, Canadian skaters and fans don't want a media circus repeat like what happened in Salt Lake City at the 2010 Games here in Vancouver.

I hope Vancouver will not turn into another Salt Lake. I think it would have if this World was the Olympic. I think the Canadian skating team should go and clarify with those judges as to why Chan's PCS was so low, that to find out if there's any judging problem...and to gather the info so Chan can work on for next year.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kurt said that the judges were newbies (not experienced) and they went with the flashy showmanship of Brian Joubert. Kurt also thought Chan should have been ranked first - not because he is a fellow Canadian - but because of Patrick Chan's quality edges and choreography compared to Brian's.

"Newbies" or not - that doesn't mean they have never judged before and they suddenly find themselves at worlds. There are many different levels the judges go through before they are given ISU Championships and that would involve judging all the way through their own national programmes and then internationals including the senior B competitions and GPs etc plus the junior circuit. It's hardly like they picked random people off the street and asked them to judge worlds.

Also regardless of how "impartial" Browning says he is - i personally would think that his own issues with Joubert and refusing to choreograph for him, and the fact he's Canadian would make it diffuclt for him to be objective on this occasion.

For your information Patrick Chan was very gracious about winning the silver and very pleased.

I didn't say he wasn't i was criticising the article :scratch:

Ant

Last edited: