Dutch Figure Skating 2022-2023 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating 2022-2023

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I know it's really early, but I've decided to start a thread for the new season. First I will go into the composition of the Dutch team at the moment

Pairs
Last year I mentioned there were two pairs. There still are. This is an enormous luxury, as we haven't had pairs at the senior international level in many years.
Daria Danilova/Michel Tsiba - the first Dutch Pair ever to go to a Worlds Championships (in 2021). Last season was ambiguous for this pair: on the one hand a disastrous EC and no Olympics (although they did try at Nebelhorn) but 9th at the WC (I won't go into the really good luck they had) so for this season they will be at the GP's. First time in history to have Dutch Pairs at GP's.
Nika Osipova/Dmitry Epstein - a relatively new Pair that had some really bad luck because Dmitry got Covid and really got stamina problems because of it. Still, they've got the minimum TES for the Short Programme. If they can also get it for the long, then the WC could be really spectacular for the Dutch fans!

Ice Dance
Another luxury is having two ID Teams at the international level.
Hannah Jakucs and Alessio Galli - originally representing Hungary they are now skating for The Netherlands. They were not present yet at the last WC but I am sure they will continue to grow.
Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen - they haven't been skating together long but had a bit of a dream season in 2020-2021 despite all the Covid-19 issues. They managed to skate at the World Championships 2021 which they hadn't expected at the start of the season. However, last season was less of a success but as far as I know they are still in business. They try to train in Finland as much as possible.

Women
Lindsay van Zundert - Lindsay was the hero of last season for us Dutchies. She skated at the OG for the first time a Dutch skater was there in 46 years. The last time there was a Dutch skater was in 1976. At the WC she was 17th.
Niki Wories - Niki has been around for quite a while and has been to both European and World Championships in the past. Alas, she has been hampered by injuries the last few years. She would have gone to the WC in 2020 but as everyone knows it was cancelled. However, she is still very much in the game and training hard. She continues to skate, for herself and for enjoyment. She of course would like to win again too.
New kid on the block Julia van Dijk was 20th last season at the junior WC. I don't know if she will be senior this season. The same applies to Dani Loonstra. Both young women have not aged out of Jrs yet!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
One consequence of being early is that sometimes you get passed by the news. That has happened this time. I read in an article on the Dutch Skating website that Niki Wories is to become the new manager of the Figure Skating Sport within the Dutch Ice Skating Federation, and that she will immediately stop with skating (at the topsport level, she may still continue for relaxation!). Here's the link to the article I am referring to (in Dutch):

https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...nemanager-kunstrijden-en-stopt-met-schaatsen/.

I am sure she will be able to use her experience very well in this particular context!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It's good to find out that our National Coach is making a start with her work. Not in Heerenveen yet where the new Ice centre will be, but in the middele of the country. The notion is that she will coach some skaters herself while for others she will just co-ordinate if necessary. Here's an article (in Dutch) on the Skating website:
https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...rg-hobbelig-geweest-maar-interessant-en-lang/ .

In summary: Aljona explains how she will work in The Netherlands. She stresses that every athlete has different needs, also with regard to discipline. The article also writes up a little bit about the history with Stanislav (not named) and Robin. It also discusses the war in Ukraine and that her three brothers are still there.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay van Zundert has received the yearly 'Figure Skater of the Year' prize, also named the 'Sjoukje Dijkstra trophy' for becoming the first Dutch Olympian Figure Skater since 1976.

Young Macey Mellema (12 yrs old) received the 'Talent of the Year' prize, also named the 'Joan Haanappel trophy' for showing great progress in development.

Article (in Dutch): https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/2022/juli/lindsay-van-zundert-kunstrijdster-van-het-jaar/

The two Dutch Figure Skating icons, Sjoukje Dijkstra and Joan Haanappel, were both present.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some fun news:
Daria and Michel will be at the GP this year, but first they are enjoying a training camp.

Nika and Dmitri are enjoying a training camp as well:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Julia van Dijk is spending some time in Italy.

Edit: sorry, lost the instagram page.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
News about the Jr Grand Prix. 5 times a Dutch young woman may make a start. The Dutch Skating Federation has divided these spots among three women.

In Courchevel (24-27 Aug) Isabella Smit will start. She is 18 years old and I believe has never been to such a competition before. This is very exciting for her!
Dani Loonstra will skate in the first JGP in Gdansk (28 sep-1 Oct) and in Egna (12-15 Oct). Dani has some more experience as she took part in a JGP competition last year, as well as during the European Olympic Festival. Dani is 17 years old.
Julia van Dijk (16) is the final competitor. She will compete in Ostrava (31 Aug-3 Sep) and the second JGP in Gdansk (5-8 Oct). She was also on the scene last year and also went to the Jr WC in Estonia where she also rode her FP.

Good luck girls! :hap10::hap10::hap10:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Isabelle Smit was 17th at her first International (JGP Courchevel).

Short programme:

Free Skate:

Julia van Dijk is going to be at the JGP Ostrava this week. Good luck!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Cross-posting from another thread:

Thomas is a former figure skating competitor, and indeed Van Zundert also trains with him sometimes (he was with her at her disastrous Europeans and was a real support to her there). He used to be the assistant coach of Karine Herrijgers, Van Zundert's official coach who at Europeans had tested positive. I did not know he now feels confident enough to no longer be an assistant coach but a true coach. Good for him and good luck to Eva-Lotta.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Julia van Dijk reached the 15th place in Ostrava. She had hoped for a little higher (top 10 placement) but was still satisfied with her skating (see article on Schaatsen.nl)

Here below her SP and FS:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Lindsay van Zundert is in 8th place at Nebelhorn after the SP. she fell with her triple lutz but managed to make a combination with her loop instead. Good thinking! :hap10::hap10::hap10:

Edit: I should also have mentioned that Nika Osipova/Dmitry Epstein are 7th after the SP of the pairs at the same competition.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A 9th place eventually for Nika and Dmitry. It was the best I've seen of them although you could see they had to fight for some elements. But is was enjoyable to watch! :cheer:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
9th place as well for Lindsay with a great "Pirates of the Caribbean" programme. This programme is going to grow on her. Already well done, if not perfect yet Lindsay! :cheer::cheer:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This coming weekend Lindsay van Zundert will compete at Skate Canada. I will cheer her on. She was lucky to get this GP (first she had only one, in France. And now she's got two). :hap10: :hap10:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
At Mezzaluna Cup (27-30 oct), an Italian competition for Dancers only (at 5 different levels from basic, intermediate and advanced novice until both junior and senior) there are going to be two Dutch entries at the senior level. Yes, both our two Ice Dance couples are scheduled to be there. Cheers :hap10::hap10::hap10:for Chelsea and Sherim as well as Hanna and Alessio.

@CaroLiza_fan drew my attention towards the Tallinn Trophy, Estonia (held from November 24-27) where a Dutch girl will compete at both the basic and advanced novice level. We will see if she really does both - that would be quite an achievement.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
@CaroLiza_fan drew my attention towards the Tallinn Trophy, Estonia (held from November 24-27) where a Dutch girl will compete at both the basic and advanced novice level. We will see if she really does both - that would be quite an achievement.

And I think it would be her first competition at Advanced Novice level too.

As I said in the competition thread, given that the Basic Novice FS is on Saturday afternoon, the Advanced Novice SP is on Saturday evening, and the Advanced Novice FS is on Sunday afternoon, Floor van der Pas will have a very busy 24 hour period over that weekend if she does do both.

But, figure skaters are made of tough stuff. ;)

All the best to her!

CaroLiza_fan