Dutch Figure Skating 2023-2024 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating 2023-2024

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've decided to start a thread for the new season, as with the publication of the GP Assignments the season seems to have started.
I will go into the composition of the Dutch team at the moment

Pairs (sr and jr)
There were two sr pairs last year (and even at Worlds). There still are but only one of them will get to go to Worlds this season. However, both of them will be able to go to Europeans.
Daria Danilova/Michel Tsiba - the first Dutch Pair ever to go to a Worlds Championships (in 2021). Last season two GP assignments, and this season again because they did well enough at Worlds.
Nika Osipova/Dmitry Epstein - they did not do as well at Worlds, but they still get one assignment at a GP.

Giulia Papa/Grigory Kornienko are a jr pair who started last season for the Nederlands but only domestically.

Ice Dance
Another luxury is having two ID Teams at the international level.
Hannah Jakucs and Alessio Galli - originally representing Hungary they are now skating for The Netherlands. They took part in the EC and train with Barbara Fusar-Poli in Italy
Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen - They managed to go to Worlds again last season. They try to train in Finland as much as possible with Maurizio Margaglio.
The fun thing about these two Ice Dance Couples is that they experience a fierce rivalry. It is to be hoped they stay on, because as I understand the money seems to be running out. Chelsea/Sherim also run a crowd funding page, but it is difficult.

Women
Lindsay van Zundert - Lindsay experienced some problems during her last Worlds, so she has only one assignment for the GP.

I don't know whether Julia van Dijk will switch to seniors. The same applies to Dani Loonstra. Isabella Smit was one junior who retired.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I forgot to reference last years thread. Here it is.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Budget, budget, budget.
As some of you may recall the Dutch Federation last season had instigated a National Training Centre in the town of Heerenveen. Aljona Savchenko was appointed as National Coach. Our pairs trained there regularly, there were quite a few young talented girls and a young Swiss guy who actually lived in Heerenveen (with host families) and some people trained otherwise (but had to pay a lot more themselves). Well, Aljona Savchenko stayed on for less than a year and then decided to start something else coachingwise in Germany (with Robin), and the search for a new coach was on. And then....the federation decided to start cutting budgets. For the NTC, the figure skaters were no longer supported at the NTC. There are reasons I understand - we all know ice time had become a lot more expensive in the last year - but everyone has to return home and train there again while the NTC will only be used for brushing up, and a new coach? Who knows. Very sad, because the speed skaters are always supported and still are, while whatever the federation says about being ambituous in bringing back figure skating to the fore - the figure skaters will have to pay for all of it themselves, just like they always did. It is expecially grinding for those people who had good hopes figure skating might gain a little in importance. Alas. Here's the article with the information (I summarised it a little in my piece):

MaHa75

On the Ice
Budget, budget, budget.
As some of you may recall the Dutch Federation last season had instigated a National Training Centre in the town of Heerenveen. Aljona Savchenko was appointed as National Coach. Our pairs trained there regularly, there were quite a few young talented girls and a young Swiss guy who actually lived in Heerenveen (with host families) and some people trained otherwise (but had to pay a lot more themselves). Well, Aljona Savchenko stayed on for less than a year and then decided to start something else coachingwise in Germany (with Robin), and the search for a new coach was on. And then....the federation decided to start cutting budgets. For the NTC, the figure skaters were no longer supported at the NTC. There are reasons I understand - we all know ice time had become a lot more expensive in the last year - but everyone has to return home and train there again while the NTC will only be used for brushing up, and a new coach? Who knows. Very sad, because the speed skaters are always supported and still are, while whatever the federation says about being ambituous in bringing back figure skating to the fore - the figure skaters will have to pay for all of it themselves, just like they always did. It is expecially grinding for those people who had good hopes figure skating might gain a little in importance. Alas. Here's the article with the information (I summarised it a little in my piece):
Yes i read the federation announcement yesterday but has far as I know then federation wanted all team dutch skaters train in one place (to reduce ice cost) but lot of skaters doesnt want to go Heerenveen (like Zundert). So they still had to pay for the ice in different places and they give up or gave more ice to short track. Did Niki Worries boyfriend moved to Holland already... He was the main pretender to the main coach in Dutch team?!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Ahem...I knew about certain skaters not going to the centre as Heerenveen is 'far off' for people coming to the south (in our perception, as Dutch distances are relatively small), and they had to pay themselves for coaches, ice time etc. However, there were quite a few youngsters who had moved to the North for this, and now have to to move back and find their own ice. The news about Niki's boyfriend is new to me.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
To my regret Nika and Dmitry are no longer on the list for Lombardia. I don't know why. I am happy to say Daria and Michel still are.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You remember back in March I posted in the Abu Dhabi Classic thread about a girl competing for the UAE, and that everything was pointing towards her being a Dutch ex-pat.

Well, Elisa Maria WESTERHOF now has an ISU Bio and, sure enough, she was born in Rotterdam.

Elisa will be making her Junior GP debut tomorrow morning in Bangkok. So, although there will be nobody actually representing the Netherlands, you will have still some local interest.

Her second Junior GP will be JGP4 in Osaka, where she will be joining Julia van Dijk (ISU Bio), who is representing the Netherlands, in the entries. And there are certainly no strangers to each other, because they used to be team-mates at the De Drechtsteden Dordrecht club!

https://www.dordrecht.net/nieuws/42366/2020-01-21-25550-podiumplaatsen-kunstrijders-in-alkmaar

Julia is the girl wearing the deep blue dress in the top photo.
Elisa is the girl wearing the orange dress in the bottom photo.

I'm sure there'll be lots of catching up going on! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It is with great joy I can note that although Nika and Dmitry were scheduled for Lombardia Trophy but withdrew, they are now scheduled for Nebelhorn. Yay!
There will be more of a Dutch presence as Lindsay van Zundert will also skate here.

I hope there will be a live stream!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Short message:
In jrs Emilia Soloukhin is taking part in the women's category for The Nederlands at the JGP Istanbul
In srs Daria and Michel are taking part in the Pairs Category at Challenger Lombardia. The other Dutch Pair will come into action a week later at Nebelhorn.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Julia van Dijk is one of the skaters at JGP Osaka. I hope she does well!

A small edit: Daria and Michel were 6th at Lombardia.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The regrettably not so good FS by Julia van Dijk in Osaka. Nerves playing up, mistakes and a bit too rushed. She is a very powerful skater, so it's still nice too watch. She ended in 21st place overall.

Last edited: