2023-2024 Italian Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-2024 Italian Figure Skating

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
kind of official i think...i mean look at the score page, look at the flag next to Corey's name

There have been mistakes with the flags before. Not often, granted. But I have seen it happen occasionally when a skater from another country has entered a domestic competition in the country they train in.

I know, I'm clutching at straws!

This is strange for me, because normally I'm all for skaters in crowded fields using their family heritage to switch to their ancestral homeland. But, the Italian Men's field is pretty crowded too! I would much prefer to see Corey return to his country of birth, the UK. The British Men's field is not as deep as the Italian Men's field, so he would get more assignments in the UK than he would in Italy.

Well... even if Corey skates for Italy, my favourite Italian man will always be Frangipani.

4everFrangi :)

Nope, I have never forgiven Gabriele for a major tantrum he had while waiting for his FS results at the 2015 Lombardia Trophy.

Yes, I know he was young at the time (13). But, it was still not a good look.

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This is strange for me, because normally I'm all for skaters in crowded fields using their family heritage to switch to their ancestral homeland. But, the Italian Men's field is pretty crowded too! I would much prefer to see Corey return to his country of birth, the UK. The British Men's field is not as deep as the Italian Men's field, so he would get more assignments in the UK than he would in Italy.
He has an Italian passport, he doesn't have a British one as far as we know. So that would not work out so smoothly.
Also, and no offense to the British men, I think the competition in the Italian field could push him to better results.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
He has an Italian passport, he doesn't have a British one as far as we know. So that would not work out so smoothly.

If that is the case, it would certainly explain everything.

Also, and no offense to the British men, I think the competition in the Italian field could push him to better results.

Being pushed to improve due to the quality of the opposition is one major benefit that Italy has. But, there are too many good skaters in the Italian field for the number of slots they have. Corey may end up getting as few assignments as he curently does in Canada.

CaroLiza_fan

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
If that is the case, it would certainly explain everything.

Being pushed to improve due to the quality of the opposition is one major benefit that Italy has. But, there are too many good skaters in the Italian field for the number of slots they have. Corey may end up getting as few assignments as he curently does in Canada.

CaroLiza_fan
with Canada he has almost no assignments, so getting 1 or 2 CS would be an improvement over what Canada give him. Canada aren't sending him to CS, which is the big program (whereas Italy are good at giving all their skaters good internationals.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
with Canada he has almost no assignments, so getting 1 or 2 CS would be an improvement over what Canada give him. Canada aren't sending him to CS, which is the big program (whereas Italy are good at giving all their skaters good internationals.

Yep, I realise that Canada is sending nobody to, well, anything. (@4everchan doesn't let any of us forget it when the Provisional Entry Lists for anything are released ;) ). And you are right that he will undoubtedly get more Challengers and other Senior B's, which will help him get the requirements that the ISU ask for at the Senior GP's and the Majors.

But, it will still be tricky for him to get selected for the Italian team at the Majors because of the size of the field. Even with the question marks over Daniel, the Senior field still has Matteo, Gabriele, Nikolaj, and Raffaele (is Emanuele INDELICATO still in the mix? I can't find any results for him this season). And most of them consistently score higher than Corey (Rafaele and Emanuele tend to score similar to Corey).

In contrast, realistically we just have Graham and Ed. But Graham hasn't been in action yet this season, so it could be that Ed is Corey's only competition. Ed and Corey tend to get similar scores, but at least Corey would have a good chance of getting selected for the Majors here, whereas he probably doesn't have any chance in Italy.

But, as @CrazyKittenLady said, if he doesn't actually have a British passport, then Italy probably is his best way for escaping the current impasse in Canada.

CaroLiza_fan

Reactions: bgg

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yep, I realise that Canada is sending nobody to, well, anything. (@4everchan doesn't let any of us forget it when the Provisional Entry Lists for anything are released ;) ). And you are right that he will undoubtedly get more Challengers and other Senior B's, which will help him get the requirements that the ISU ask for at the Senior GP's and the Majors.

But, it will still be tricky for him to get selected for the Italian team at the Majors because of the size of the field. Even with the question marks over Daniel, the Senior field still has Matteo, Gabriele, Nikolaj, and Raffaele (is Emanuele INDELICATO still in the mix? I can't find any results for him this season). And most of them consistently score higher than Corey (Rafaele and Emanuele tend to score similar to Corey).

In contrast, realistically we just have Graham and Ed. But Graham hasn't been in action yet this season, so it could be that Ed is Corey's only competition. Ed and Corey tend to get similar scores, but at least Corey would have a good chance of getting selected for the Majors here, whereas he probably doesn't have any chance in Italy.

But, as @CrazyKittenLady said, if he doesn't actually have a British passport, then Italy probably is his best way for escaping the current impasse in Canada.

CaroLiza_fan
Yes, I keep harping on the simple fact that being a figure skater in Canada is difficult, not just for the middle tier but also at the top.
Corey, at his best, finished 5th at Canadian Nationals, and some years, some guys were below him (like Conrad or Roman) because they had bad outings... So you can imagine that he was very far from doing a world championships.

You can look at it different ways. The field in italy may bring more spots at worlds than the field in Canada. 4CC /Euros there is an advantage for Canada at 4CC with the guranteed 3 spots but Italy should usually, with this field, get those 3 spots.

Finally, Corey probably doesn't want to go to the UK. He wants to train with his friend. As fans, we forget that some skaters are very well aware that they will NOT be world champions. They do not have exotic quads or even the desire of getting there one day. They are pretty aware that they may not even compete at the Olympics. Not everyone does ! But they love the sport and they want to practice it for a few years before doing something else. This is also what Corey may be looking for. Being in Italy will allow him to compete in smaller events in Europe. He used to have a nice quad toe and a decent 3a. As much as I love my Frangipani, Corey can compete with him... and Nikolaj is less consistent since he's started adding quads... So who knows? Corey could surprise. The field in Italy is not deeper than in Canada. It is perhaps stronger at the very top right now. I will give you that, but see, Conrad was only 9th at Nationals in 2021, Roman, 8th at Nationals in 2022... that just says a lot. Canadian men are inconsistent... but they can also be very good and that means that nothing is ever guaranteed for a guy like Roman who one year was at the Olympics and Worlds and the next doesn't even make top 5 at Nationals. We have skaters who managed to win international events without ever medalling at Nationals (Balde) or skaters never winning nationals but winning ISU championahips (Reynolds). My opinion is that the field is still deeper in Canada and that the opportunities are very sparse. Corey will probably end up having a much better time representing Italy, will speak the language, will train with his buddy... All of this is wonderful ! And who knows, it is perhaps with these conditions that he will develop further and be even more competitive.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Corey did better in the Free today than in the Short yesterday, well done :clap: No 3A, but a 4T (underrotated, but he didn't fall).

But, as I said, if it doesn't work out in singles at the end, he can always go back to Dance - I'm sure there are a few lovely ladies in Italy who would not be opposed to skating with him (and most of all, a few skaters I would not be opposed to going into dance, looking at you, Ginevra - Though she skated well today too, so maybe we can wait a few years 😂).

And same for Matteo, for whom it has become the usual occurrence at this point. He popped one of the 3As, but managed a 3Lz+3T (instead of 3Lz+2T), and got his Choreo sequence called this time too.

Andrea82

Medalist
Interesting Women event in Padova.
Gutmann dominated. PCS scoring put Negrello above Pezzetta

Pl.NameNationPointsSPFS
1Lara Naki GUTMANN
ITA.GIF
ITA
2Ginevra Lavinia NEGRELLO
ITA.GIF
ITA
3Anna PEZZETTA
ITA.GIF
ITA
4Marina PIREDDA
ITA.GIF
ITA
5Amanda GHEZZO
ITA.GIF
ITA
6Alessia TORNAGHI
ITA.GIF
ITA
WDChiara MINIGHINI
ITA.GIF
ITA

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I am assuming that Corey is able to represent Italy in international comps from January, if the last event he competed in was 2022 golden spin? Best of luck to him!
I don't think so. Canada won't release skaters for 2 years if they have represented Canada at major events and Corey has done 4 continents for them. Soucisse and Firus (The ice dance team who now represent Ireland) only got their release by taking Skate Canada to arbitration, and SC immediately tightened their rules and the visibility of those.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
There have been mistakes with the flags before. Not often, granted. But I have seen it happen occasionally when a skater from another country has entered a domestic competition in the country they train in.

I know, I'm clutching at straws!

Nope, I have never forgiven Gabriele for a major tantrum he had while waiting for his FS results at the 2015 Lombardia Trophy.

Yes, I know he was young at the time (13). But, it was still not a good look.

CaroLiza_fan
people grow up, change and deserve a second chance. get over it :LOL:
I cannot choose, I like them all for completely different reasons. Hopefully friends I will be able to join you for Italian Nationals to see your lovely skaters in all disciplines.
sadly it will happen at the same time as Japanese nationals and Russian nationals...why italian fed? whyyy???? :drama:
Corey did better in the Free today than in the Short yesterday, well done :clap: No 3A, but a 4T (underrotated, but he didn't fall).

But, as I said, if it doesn't work out in singles at the end, he can always go back to Dance - I'm sure there are a few lovely ladies in Italy who would not be opposed to skating with him (and most of all, a few skaters I would not be opposed to going into dance, looking at you, Ginevra - Though she skated well today too, so maybe we can wait a few years 😂).

And same for Matteo, for whom it has become the usual occurrence at this point. He popped one of the 3As, but managed a 3Lz+3T (instead of 3Lz+2T), and got his Choreo sequence called this time too.
Mama's love :palmf: and speaking of singles switching to dance, do we have any news of Mattia Della Torre?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I might add, GB offers zero funding as far as I am aware. There are also not many high level singles skating coaches around here. If Italy can offer more assignments plus some expenses paid then it's a good choice for him :)