Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

Shayuki

Record Breaker
But thats how the things work. Judges are just using upper scale of PCS more than with Juniors. All last season Juniors are now at the same level with seniors in PCS. Also Challenger scores (especially the one at begining of the season) used lower PCS scores for all skaters (all skaters competed at Challengers scored lower PCS than the one judges gave them at GP). I know that cause i did analyses of skaters scores prior to Olympic. We simply cant be sure how she will be scored at Worlds, comparing to the other top skaters there. But again, doing sime statistics, im sure she will be scored much higher than she was scored at Junior world if she skates the same.
Perhaps, but in that case can you explain why she couldn't defeat first year eligible juniors - even ones relatively lacking in musicality - such as Trusova in PCS, even during the SP without all the quad hype? This despite being the same age as Maria Sotskova, for instance. It's not about the numbers, it's about the relative PCS.

Because honestly, how much PCS do you think Trusova would score in seniors as she is right now? Would she even break 30 PCS for her SP? Probably not. And Konstantinova got thoroughly crushed by her in PCS.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think Konstantinova was Joan of Arc in a previous life and is now making up for it in this life by having the best luck and good fortune this time around. I can't think of any other explanation. Of all the skaters in Russia, she gets BOTH JrWorlds AND SrWorlds???? Well, let's hope she keeps it together.
Her good luck is named Chebotareva:laugh:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Perhaps, but in that case can you explain why she couldn't defeat first year eligible juniors - even ones relatively lacking in musicality - such as Trusova in PCS, even during the SP without all the quad hype? This despite being the same age as Maria Sotskova, for instance. It's not about the numbers, it's about the relative PCS.

Because honestly, how much PCS do you think Trusova would score in seniors as she is right now? Would she even break 30 PCS for her SP? Probably not. And Konstantinova got thoroughly crushed by her in PCS.

Well i can only speculate. But lets say - Trusova will have nearly the scores Zagitova are having now (near 70). Cause Zagitova had almost the same PCS in juniors, maybe point or two higher. Lets say that Kostornays scores could be at Zagitovas level (70+), if we are following that trend. You can see for example that Mateo Rizzo total PCS at Oly were 113, but at Juniors world only 104. I think i was clear while explaining it, you just need to look all the data, not only the ones which are in 'your favour'.

Grin

Medalist
Zhenya, I wish you a speedy recovery and a strong comeback next season!

Scott512

Record Breaker
That's to bad. I was looking forward to watching ZagMeds battle it out again.

Me too. But it's probably for the best for a gienia to rest until the pain is gone and then she can start practicing again in the fall. I wonder is she thinks she would have won the gold medal if she didn't suffer that foot injury in December.

Will Alina still go to worlds to try t complete her magical debut season?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Ah I forgot to mention her replacement is Stanislava Konstantinova.
Why would they send their third orb4th best junior?

Are Anna Pogorilaya and Elena Radianova so far gone in their careers that's this girl is a better choice in them for the third spot? Anna has a bronze medal going to 2016 World Championship and she should have a bronze in the 2014 World Championship that she had stolen from her by Carolina Kostner. Elena has medalled in world as well. Anna is only 19 and Elena is only 18. We all know they won't ever be on the level of the Evgenia Medvedeva or Alina Zagitova or Irina Slutskaya. But I think the same can be said that stanislava they never be on the level of Anna or Elena. Too bad Russia's top two junior girls are too young to go to worlds.

andromache

Record Breaker
Ugh, such a bummer.

The more Alina is able to dominate without competition from her teammate, the less likely it becomes that Evgenia will ever beat her. Alina's PCS will keep going up.

I would think that skating JW and Worlds back to back will be incredibly difficult for Stanislava - she has enough issues with her skating as it is without also worrying about being tired.

I don't actually think that this will at all stop Russia from keeping three spots. But it will help the medal chances of Kostner, the Canadians, and the Japanese, and maybe give the US ladies a slightly higher chance of keeping three spots (though that is still unlikely).

Ughhhhhh I'm just so sad for Evgenia.

madison

Record Breaker
Me too. But it's probably for the best for a gienia to rest until the pain is gone and then she can start practicing again in the fall. I wonder is she thinks she would have won the gold medal if she didn't suffer that foot injury in December.

Will Alina still go to worlds to try t complete her magical debut season?

She would better go cause otherwise Russia will lose 3 spots for next year.

icybear

Medalist
I can't believe that random Russian girl who didn't even deserved to go to Juniors worlds is now going to Worlds. Justice for Polina!!! Wth is she anyway???

Alifyre

On the Ice
Why would they send their third orb4th best junior?

Are Anna Pogorilaya and Elena Radianova so far gone in their careers that's this girl is a better choice in them for the third spot? Anna has a bronze medal going to 2016 World Championship and she should have a bronze in the 2014 World Championship that she had stolen from her by Carolina Kostner. Elena has medalled in world as well. Anna is only 19 and Elena is only 18. We all know they won't ever be on the level of the Evgenia Medvedeva or Alina Zagitova or Irina Slutskaya. But I think the same can be said that stanislava they never be on the level of Anna or Elena. Too bad Russia's top two junior girls are too young to go to worlds.

Anna Pogo is still out with a bad back injury, and as of last month had yet to even be diagnosed fully on what's wrong. Elena though, she's healthy and I really think she's hungry to prove herself. I'd much rather see her or Tsurskaya get this chance that Konstantinova, who just had a score precedent (didn't break 200, even with a clean free) set at junior worlds that I doubt will do her favors at senior worlds. Even her personal best score at a low-pressure CS competition is under 200, and worlds is not low pressure. I like Konstantinova's energy on the ice and enjoy watching her perform, but with Sotskova proving inconsistent I really want the Russian fed to make sure there's another girl with a high score ceiling on the team just in case. It would be a huge tragedy if Russia somehow went down to 2 spots, even 3 doesn't feel like enough with such a deep field.

frida80

Record Breaker
It’s rare that I feel gutted for two favorite skaters. I cannot believe the allowed Stanislava to go to JW, when normally Olympic cycle there is a drop out in worlds. The likelyhood of Stanislava going to worlds was already huge. If that was the case they should’ve either named her as an alternate or took her off the JW team. She’s going to be so tired and has to train her senior program at short notice. I mean..

I just so gutted for Tsurskaya and Gubanova. Unbelievable.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I hope Evgenia gets better soon, I like how she and Alina keep pushing each other plus I really enjoy her skating this season.
Since people are angry with the federation choosing Stanislava - are we sure that Polina and Anna are in a state to compete? I'm genuinely unsure, because I don't follow the Russian ladies too closely. Last I heard, Anna was out for the rest of the season, and Polina tends to get injured because of a bone condition?

steiner

Rinkside
I feel like we’ve gotten multiple false alarms wrt Evgenia’s withdrawal so it’s nice to get official confirmation. Hope she recovers quickly and completely.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Elena has been in Switzerland touring with Art on Ice. There's no way she would be in proper condition to compete now. I'm deeply disappointed, but I'm really just over these Worlds, basically. It's not going to be a competition of the best and brightest. Not sure how much I will even pay attention (except to root for my 2 favorite boys, of course).