GoPro for filming/photos during practices? | Golden Skate

GoPro for filming/photos during practices?

kiches

Final Flight
Hi everyone, I'm borrowing a GoPro Hero 4 Silver for my trip to Boston and am looking for some tips on how to capture the best video or photos.

This will be my first time using a GoPro (I should have it in hand 2 days before I leave for Boston, so I'll have a little bit of time to test it), but has anyone ever used on to capture video or photos of practices or competition? Burst mode seems neat, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I use them all the time.

Tip 1) The higher Resolution the more memory and Battery you will eat. I usually use 1080 super view at 60 frames per second. Although I would shoot at 1080 30fps for anything you aren't right up in the action for on narrow or wide view. If you are close then maybe you can try the 1080 super view....Fisheye effect. I'm almost always on this setting but I'm on the ice and and very close to the action and also require at least 60fps for slow motion stuff.

Tip 2) Set the camera to your desired settings so that everytime you put it in your pocket you don't have to reset your resolution, video mode, etc...

Tip 3) if you get SD card error which happens if you overload it....the camera's often overwork memory cards....take out the battery and put it back in. It should go into a "file repair mode" and then you can operate. If it still says SD Card error then try the battery trick again. If that still fails switch memory cards. I can't recommend enough in having an extra memory card and even a battery of you can.

Tip 4) Practice Practice Practice!!! They are complicated systems with simplistic control mechanisms. Try all the functions, resolutions, views and learn the difference between playback mode and when it's set to shoot a sequence. Be able to access all of these things fairly quickly because moments come and go. You can always delete( PRACTICE THIS) but you can't recreate a moment.

GoPro's are amazing and the 2k and 4K trumps all in quality but the frame rate goes down and the memory card goes up. Personally I think 720HD is plenty but that's me. If you have questions ask them and if I think of anything else I'll post it. Have fun!!! I'm so jealous of everyone going I tell ya!

Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
Thanks for the tips Sam, it's definitely going to be a lot of trial and error for me. I'm horrible at taking photos and videos with any type of camera.

I'll most likely try recording at 1080p 30fps for the first practice session to see how things turn out. I should have a spare battery with me, but have you ever tried charging the camera with a battery pack? I have a fairly large one I use for my phone and may prove useful if I need to charge before a session ends.

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
Sorry, but no videotaping practices. From the FAQ

What is the camera policy?
The event will follow U.S. Figure Skating’s camera policy, which can be found below.

Spectators are permitted to use cameras at events for personal use only. The following are not permitted:

Flash photography
Any type transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
Cameras that interfere with other fans’ enjoyment, including monopods, tripods and lenses so long as to detract other spectators
Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites
Video recording. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from the rink-side during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff. Event organizers reserve the right at any time to deny camera use that is deemed to be an interference to other spectators.